vCash

Kerri Walsh-Jennings was Pregnant during Olympics

Wow, she was 5 weeks pregnant when she and Misty May-Treanor won the Gold in Beach Volleyball.

Kerri Walsh Jennings Pregnant During Olympics

Walsh Jennings said she was "moody and touchy" during the Olympics, which is odd for the normally happy-go-lucky athlete, and her period was late. Those symptoms could be attributed to the stress every athlete encounters when at the Olympics. However, May-Treanor figured it out before Walsh Jennings did, telling her partner, "You're probably pregnant."
    I would have told her it was probably b/c of NBC's broadcasting.

vCash
    Congratulations to Kerri! I just love her and Misty to pieces, what great champions!

vCash
    Congrats to her and her husband!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Craziness. I have to wonder how safe that was for the baby, but then again she was very early on and if she was going to miscarry because of the stress/body pounding, she would have done so already I think. If she's this far along without complications, I would guess everything is fine.

Congrats to her and her husband; a baby is a precious thing. What a story they're going to be able to tell this kid. "Look, Junior/Juniorette. That's you in mommy's tummy winning the gold medal! Technically you're an Olympian because you were there." I was reading the comments on the news site and someone was joking if the IOC was going to strip Kerri and Misty of their medals because they had too many people on their side of the court.

vCash
    Wow! Congrats to her & her husband! Hope all goes well for them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Craziness. I have to wonder how safe that was for the baby, but then again she was very early on and if she was going to miscarry because of the stress/body pounding, she would have done so already I think. If she's this far along without complications, I would guess everything is fine.

Congrats to her and her husband; a baby is a precious thing. What a story they're going to be able to tell this kid. "Look, Junior/Juniorette. That's you in mommy's tummy winning the gold medal! Technically you're an Olympian because you were there." I was reading the comments on the news site and someone was joking if the IOC was going to strip Kerri and Misty of their medals because they had too many people on their side of the court.
    Well, it's not unprecedented - lots of women exercise and train during their pregnancy, including running marathons and other physically demanding sports. In the Olympics, I think there was a pregnant curler in Vancouver who was pretty far along, and there was a Malaysian shooter in London who was almost eight months pregnant when she competed - and that in a sport that requires a lot of precision and concentration. OTOH, beach volleyball is considerably more physical than those sports, so well done to Kerri and congratulations to the entire family.

vCash
    Glad she did not get morning sickness during that time -- could have been a disaster for them. Congratulations, and what a wonderful story!

vCash
    I don't think it was hugely risky -- many (most?) women don't know that they're pregnant at that point in a pregnancy, and I rather doubt that physical exertion of a kind she's really used to would cause the least harm at that stage of things. Even morning sickness often doesn't start that soon.

But how nice for her. And points to Misty for figuring it out. (And to Keri for not falling asleep at random times, which is what I did at that point in pregnancy, not knowing I was pregnant. Just sleepy. My, that couch looks comfy.)

vCash
    Congratulations to Kerry and her husband!

vCash
    Right, I was thinking more of the physical aspect of it, where she'd throw herself at balls without breaking the fall at all. But then again, it's sand; not the hardest surface to fall on. And you're right, she WAS so early on and most women don't know they're pregnant at five weeks anyway...who knows how many less-than-advisable things women have done early on in a pregnancy without realizing it, and they had healthy babies.

I have a friend who jogged throughout most of her pregnancy; she only quit in the last trimester. )

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I think a very hard ball right to the stomach would be the only danger (and I don't know how often that happens at that level) - falling at that stage I would hardly consider a risk.

I fact, my OB told me the risk factors in sport is many times more to do with complications if you get hurt other ways, like you need surgery but they don't want to give you painkillers and antibiotics while pregnant. I got recommended to not try any new form of exercising, or do anything 'out of my skill level'.
    And playing Olympic level beach volley wasn't really out of her skill level, was it

I think that was well done!

vCash
    Didn't the beach volleyball partnership break up after the Os because one of them wanted to get pregnant and the other was going to go on for another O chance with a new (not yet found) partner? But am I correct if I think it was the other smaller, dark haired one, Misty May-Trainor who wanted to get pregnant, she must be somewhat sad that her partner is having, is this her third, I think she has two boys, whiz bang, just like that?

vCash
    More proof they are by far the best ever and Kerri Walsh is the best individual player eve.r She will probably win her 4th and 5th Olympic Golds in the next 2 Olympics.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    A lot of dancers I know danced up until the time they started showing. Not just class, but performing.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The story about Karin von Aroldingen was that she was afraid to tell Balanchine she was pregnant, and the only reason he found out when she was at five months was that he cast her as Leto in "Apollo" (when New York City Ballet still did the full version where Leto gives birth), and she burst into tears. Then he made her come to class or teach class, because "they should know what pregnant woman looks like" (and presumably be scared off).
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney