Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Has Kim Yu-Na's injury opened the door for Mao Asada to win Olympic gold in Sochi?

New article entitled: "Kim’s injury could open door for Mao at Sochi Games." It reads:-

It is amazing how quickly the dynamic can change in skating.

In one instant the seemingly impossible can appear probable and the assumed balance of power can shift.

There is a chance that this is what happened last week when the Korea Skating Union announced that defending Olympic and world champion Kim Yu-na would sit out the entire Grand Prix season with an injury to her right foot.

The timing could not have been worse for Kim, who is hoping to retain her Olympic crown at the Sochi Games in February. She has skated infrequently since winning the gold at the Vancouver Games in 2010, and had appeared ready to get into a seemingly normal routine as the Olympic campaign beckoned.

But that is all out the window now. The injury has significantly altered her plans, and the exact extent of the impact it will have on Kim’s readiness in Russia is still unclear.

One thing that is certain is that where there once appeared to be only a slim chance for two-time world champion Mao Asada to overtake Kim and grab the gold at the Olympics, now the odds do not seem as long.

The bottom line is that Mao now has a legitimate shot at topping the podium in Sochi.
    Mao has had a very good start to the season by winning the 2013 Japan Open. She has momentum and if she can sustain it, then she has a good chance. Nevertheless, even if Kim's injury and the loss of training time means that Kim enters the Olympics at less than her best, she will remain a formidable opponent. Hence, if Mao is to win the Olympic title, then she will need to be at her best. That means that she needs to move up to a level beyond anything that she has yet produced during the current quad - a consistent 3A, a reliable 3+3 combination, a non-flutzed 3Z, etc, etc.

Hence, has Kim's injury enhanced Mao's prospect of winning the Olympic title?

vCash
    I lean to no because Yuna Kim can be perfectly fine by Sochi and crush her like she did in London but kostner is also a huge barrier to Mao too. Kostner has pcs and 3/3 thats superior to Mao.

vCash
    I've only just got the news. I hope Kim will be okay and fully recovered before Sochi!

vCash
    No. I wouldnt be surprised if Kim is relieved to not skate all season given all the pressure she is under. Asada is still the underdog to both Kim and Kostner at this point. If they skate very well she will need to skate her inhumanly hard program cleanly (which is near impossible to do) to beat them.

vCash
    I hope Yu-Na's injury is taken care of and she can get back to normal soon.

That said, as great as Yu-Na is, I think Mao tends to be a little bit underrated. It hasn't helped that she hadn't been as consistent as Yu-Na. When both ladies are skating up to their best ability I do think Mao should be nipping close to Yu-Na's heels. It depends on what condition she is in physically and mentally. I know most fans and more importantly the judges disagree but those groups tend to sell her short in comparison to Yu-Na.

Realistically, I'm not sure given the circumstances if it will happen but I think the door is opened a little bit for Mao to possibly take advantage of an unfortunate situation.

vCash
    Let's hope for one of the best competitions in history with everyone being there and skating their very best.

vCash
    I don't mention about the topic but I wish there were some other journalists hired by Japanese media, who write better articles in English. It's shame Gallagher is the only journalist who writes articles about Japanese figure skating constantly in English so far. He can write anything with his own bias, but he is none of representing Japanese media or the thoughts of Japanese people. It's shame his articles can feed haters and disturb Japanese skaters focusing on their training in some cases. JIMO
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    I would say yes, Kim's injury probably has opened the door for Asada. Last year, Kim trained and competed exactly as she had planned, training very hard in relative privacy, the only entering a few handpicked competitions This year, her injury controls her training and competitions...she cant go full throttle into GPF as planned, nor train as hard, at least for some time. It is possible she will not be as prepared for Sochi. We cannot really say how far the door is open, but I'd say its open equally wide for Kostner. If Kim and Kostner make a similar amount of mistakes, who wins and will Mao be able to offset their GOE and PCS advantage with more content delivered?

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    The results of the Japan Open mean nothing in terms of the Olympics in February. As for a non-flutzed Lutz, Mao has had about 8 seasons as a senior to correct her flutz, so if she hasn't done so by now, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Anyone can be affected by the power shift dynamic in this incredibly difficult and challenging sport. It's best not to count one's eggs before they hatch. It seems the Japanese media would have learned this lesson by now based on what happened to Ito in the 1992 season. It's ridiculous, albeit fun to speculate in October what can or will happen in February. One must always point to the old adage: "The ice is slippery though!" Let's just hope that everyone can be healthy and skate their personal bests.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    The results of the Japan Open mean nothing in terms of the Olympics in February. As for a non-flutzed Lutz, Mao has had about 8 seasons as a senior to correct her flutz, so if she hasn't done so by now, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Anyone can be affected by the power shift dynamic in this incredibly difficult and challenging sport. It's best not to count one's eggs before they hatch. It seems the Japanese Federation would have learned this lesson by now based on what happened to Ito in the 1992 season. It's ridiculous, albeit fun to speculate in October what can or will happen in February. One must always point to the old adage: "The ice is slippery though!" Let's just hope that everyone can be healthy and skate their personal bests.
    Actually Mao was credited with a couple of clean lutzes at some comps in the 08/09 season. At others she received 'i' back when that existed. I think she got it ratified on the GP or at GPF IIRC. But she was so inconsistent with it that it was taken out for the Olympic season and since putting it back in her team are clearly aiming to offset the 'e' with more content and level 4 everything.

Back to topic, I couldn't care less about the results in Sochi. What I do want is for Mao to finally have that performance of a lifetime, skating with freedom and from the heart, and leave the sport feeling satisfied with what she put out there, whether Kim beats her by 1 point or 100 points. She deserves to have that moment IMO as she has worked soooooo hard for so many years, overcoming so much. Her skating this weekend was a huge step in the right direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Actually Mao was credited with a couple of clean lutzes at some comps in the 08/09 season. At others she received 'i' back when that existed. I think she got it ratified on the GP or at GPF IIRC. But she was so inconsistent with it that it was taken out for the Olympic season and since putting it back in her team are clearly aiming to offset the 'e' with more content and level 4 everything.

Back to topic, I couldn't care less about the results in Sochi. What I do want is for Mao to finally have that performance of a lifetime, skating with freedom and from the heart, and leave the sport feeling satisfied with what she put out there, whether Kim beats her by 1 point or 100 points. She deserves to have that moment IMO as she has worked soooooo hard for so many years, overcoming so much. Her skating this weekend was a huge step in the right direction.
    Well said. Based on recent interviews, this is exactly Mao's hopes for Sochi as well. She wants to bring out her best performances there. I'm tired of these articles that serves little purpose other than to fuel fan wars. imo.

vCash
    I would say no, not really. Safe bet would be on Kim returning to 100% this time.

Yes, her injury is reportedly serious enough to keep her away from hard training and competition for 6 weeks. But I don't think it's one of the kind that could cripple her entire season. It's a stress injury that's common for skaters and other athletes. It's a similar type that Osmond suffered earlier this pre-season. Also, it's not a fracture that requires a cast, so I believe it allows her some off-ice training and possibly some light on-ice practice too. Her hip injury in 2008, which kept her totally off the ice for the entire month of February leading up to WC, was far worse.

About her foregoing the GP series, it could be a blessing in disguise. It must be draining for her to be exposed to the kind of constant pressure and expectation heaped upon her every time she skates. She doesn't have anything to prove or really gain in the GP circuit, where everyone expects her to win anyway. Establishing herself as the favorite again, she's already done that. What she needs though, is some (one or two) good outings before Sochi.

vCash
    I hope Mao focuses on herself and does not pay attention to any media, japanese or otherwise. I'm sure her folks are already expecting the media to create as much a sensation of the Mao-Yuna rivalry - part two - as it possibly can.

Also - beyond subject matter, this is not a well-written article. It reminds me of high school papers I used to turn in last minute without editing. If I were Jack Gallagher, I'd be embarrassed.

vCash
    I don't think it has opened any doors. There is plenty of time for Kim to heal and be ready. Even at 80% she is unbeatable.

If at all a door opens for other skaters, I can think of many skaters that could go through it, and not just Mao. Carolina could be the front runner since she was the other WC in the last two worlds. However, I hope it doesn't come down to that. We want to see everyone healthy and skating her best. Let the chips fall where they may.

vCash
    No. Missing the Grand Prix is no big deal. Kim will be ready for Nationals, Four Continents, Olympics, and Worlds, and remains the clear favorite to win. Someone else will have to try and step up and beat her, a tiny injury wont do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Let's hope for one of the best competitions in history with everyone being there and skating their very best.
    This.

At this point, and considering the state of skating's popularity, we need a great and strong competition in all disciplines to get new fans and attention. Kim is a phenom. She's needed in the competition to help make it more interesting.

vCash
    To answer the question posed in the title "no".

For one, all skaters are skating injured one way or another, in fact I recall that famous saying from one wherein he said if I wake up one day and I don't feel anything then I know I've died and gone to heaven. Of course some injuries are worse than others (aka broken bones, surgeries, etc.), but for the most part everybody's on an even keel. Also to tell the truth I don't believe that Yuna's injury is that serious, rather just to keep her out of the GP so that she can only skate in 1 or 0 competitions before the big one (like she did last year). No problema, whatever works for her.

I sincerely believe that if she skates like she always has she'll be a 2-time Olympic Champion and make history in the same way that Sonja & Katarina did.

That said, the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win! And on that score I want my favorite Mao to give it her very best shot ~ skate the best she's every did in her life (like Sarah Hughes did at the 2002 Olympics) and see what the judges say (though she can always be proud of the fact that she skated her best, no mistakes like she had in 2010 during the FS).

vCash
    In my opinion, no. Although I love Asada and would prefer to say yes.

I think Yunah has the capacity to skate clean at the Olympics, regardless of whether she competes on the GP circuit. She's just that inconsistent.

Meanwhile, I question whether Mao has the capacity to skate clean at the Olympics, regardless of whether she competes on the GP circuit.

I'd love to be wrong. If Mao has the skate of her life, and skates clean, she might have a chance of beating Kim. But I'm sure not counting on that happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    In my opinion, no. Although I love Asada and would prefer to say yes.

I think Yunah has the capacity to skate clean at the Olympics, regardless of whether she competes on the GP circuit. She's just that inconsistent.

Meanwhile, I question whether Mao has the capacity to skate clean at the Olympics, regardless of whether she competes on the GP circuit.

I'd love to be wrong. If Mao has the skate of her life, and skates clean, she might have a chance of beating Kim. But I'm sure not counting on that happening.
    I think you meant to say "She is just that consistent" in the bolded portion above.

Your thoughts coincide with mine. I would love to say 'yes' for Mao but I just don't see that happening. IMO Carolina may have a better chance- even though a minute one- to beat Yu na. My gut says Yu na is unbeatable if she skates in the Olympics- and I hope she does, because I want to see a great performance win the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think you meant to say "She is just that consistent" in the bolded portion above.
    Yes, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast