Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    I'd love to watch The Forsyte Saga all over again. Does anyone know where I watch it again?

For that matter, can I catch Homeland any where else besides Showtime?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamawake2 View Post
    I'd love to watch The Forsyte Saga all over again. Does anyone know where I watch it again?

For that matter, can I catch Homeland any where else besides Showtime?
    You can buy the first season on Amazon Instant Streaming and it is also streaming on Netflix.

vCash
    Did anyone see the original Forsyte Saga? The original Soams was very menacing.
    In both treatments, one has to wait awhile for Soams to become a sympathetic character.
    I love The Forsyte Saga.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The Forsyte Saga is on TV? Where?

Yes, I've been under a rock.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    If you're in Canada, Homeland is on The Movie Channel. Not everyone gets that though. We didn't until two years ago when we got an HD dish reciever and, in turn, the ability to get those and several other channels the other two and older recievers we've got aren't able to show.

It was lovely to be able to watch it as it was airing for a change and find out what all the fuss was about from pretty much the beginning for once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    That is where I first discovered him. I missed the first season because I was out of the US, but really like the second season. I even started a thread about it here at FSU, but IIRC there weren't too many other fans.

I'm going to have to order the first season DVD (less than $9 at Amazon!).
    So thrilled for Damian.

Another big Life fan here. Season one Life dvds were actually around $5-7 in May or June when I picked mine up, but it's definitely worth $10.

For those who watched the original broadcasts though, NBC really dropped the ball on the music licenses. There are places where I remember the original music because whoever did music had awesome taste, and it's not what's used on the dvd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    For those who watched the original broadcasts though, NBC really dropped the ball on the music licenses. There are places where I remember the original music because whoever did music had awesome taste, and it's not what's used on the dvd.
    I remember that I used to check the music online after I watched an episode of Life. I purchased quite a few singles.

I loved that show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Just clicked through the gowns. This has got to be the worst year on record. I can't believe people pay people to put these horrors on them. Amy Poehler in particular Or Ginnifer Goodwin, I can't decide.
    ITA about the dresses. Most were just a big yawn. If this were Project Runway, they'd all be out. I didn't watch the pre-show, so I just clicked through pictures, which is a disadvantage when you can't see the dress move. Apparently mustard yellow was the "it" color of the evening. I sort of liked Hayden P.'s grecian-style gauzy dress, although I wish it were on a taller actress (sorry short people). Of the "non-stars", Juliana Rancic's black dress is the only one I covet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The Forsyte Saga is on TV? Where?

Yes, I've been under a rock.
    Probably about 10 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Damn--Cumberbatch did not win.....maybe it is comparing apples to oranges but I thought "Sherlock" was superior to "Hatfields and McCoys." I tried to watch it and could not finish it.
    Same here. Bored me to death, and I am a history fanatic and live in one of the states in which it was set.

OTOH, I think Sherlock is brilliant - there's so much to each episode that I have to watch over and over again to catch everything. I've been zaprudering the final episode to see how Sherlock pulls it off.

Cumberbatch and Freeman wuzrobbed!

eta: loved, loved The Forsyte Saga.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    If you have a couple of minutes, check out the following:

Trailer

It's a "homemade" trailer someone made for youtube that far surpasses the ones that HBO created.

Back to the Emmys - Modern Family again?

I've tried to like that show, but I always get a vibe of them trying too hard to be edgy and hip. I'd have much preferred Big Bang Theory to win.
    Wow Cyn---that trailer is incredible. Dick Winters was an incredible leader and Lewis as Winters was an outstanding choice imho. I think the guy that played Liebwitz is a British actor and my heart broke for him in the "Why We Fight" episode.

vCash
    pollyanna--ITA about "Sherlock" and I had to swallow bile seeing Berenger and Costner beat out Freeman and Cumberbatch though I don't have anything against those actors. The good thing is Freeman and Cumberbatch on a career trajectory to the stars imo. Costner and Berenger probably appreciated this success coming at a time when they might have felt overlooked.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I also tried to watch Hatfields and McCoys and found it boring, and have watched and re-watched Sherlock.

I was just happy that Sherlock was in the mini-series category, so that I could vote for all four of them (Martin, Benedict, Aaron and Bryan).

Even though Breaking Bad is my favourite show of the year, I think I'd agree with giving the Emmy to Jessica Lange over Anna Gunn. It must be hard to win when your character is so conflicted and yet somehow so unlikeable.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Wow Cyn---that trailer is incredible. Dick Winters was an incredible leader and Lewis as Winters was an outstanding choice imho. I think the guy that played Liebwitz is a British actor and my heart broke for him in the "Why We Fight" episode.
    Glad you liked it . I totally agree with you regarding both Major Winters as a leader and Damien Lewis' performance in BoB. To keep this from straying too OT from the Emmy's, Damien wuzrobbed of the Best Actor Emmy that year, losing to James Franco (James Dean). Franco is a good actor, but his acting didn't come anywhere close to the amazing job by Lewis.

[BoB Nerd] The guy that who portrayed Joseph Liebgott, Ross McCall, is Scottish He was also engaged to Jennifer Love Hewitt until late 2008.

Interestingly, several of the cast members of Easy Company were English. This is an incomplete list, but to give you an idea....

- Damien Lewis (Major Dick Winters),
    - Shane Taylor (Doc Roe),
    - Ross McCall (Liebgott),
    - Dexter Fletcher (Johnny Martin),
    - Robin Laing (Babe Heffron),
    - Rick Warden (Harry Welsh),
    - Michael Fassbender (Pat Christianson),
    - Matthew Leitch (Floyd Talbert),
    - Tim Matthews (Alex Penkala),
    - Peter Youngblood Hills (Shifty Powers),
    - Nicholas Aaron ("Popeye" Wynn),
    - Marc Warren (Albert Blithe)
    - Philip Barantini ("Skinny" Sisk),
    - Rocky Marshall (Earl "One Lung" McLung),
    - Tom Hardy (Private Janovec),
    - James McAvoy (Private Miller),
    - Mark Lawrence (Dukeman),
    - Kieran O'Brien (Private West)
    - Jamie Bamber (Lt. Jack Foley) -- better known in the US, however, as Lee "Apollo" Adama in Battlestar Galactica

I think there were more Brits in the miniseries than Americans . It's an amazing credit to their acting talent that they were able to pull off so many of the dialects from around the US.

vCash
    Ita--thanks for the names--and I am constantly surprised: I was watching a Dr. Who episode and realized the actor in one episode with was Blithe in BoB. His southern accent was flawless in the series. I had no idea...

Regarding the awards: I want to see what Amy Poehler does if she ever wins an Emmy. I like "Parks and Recreation" a lot and hope she wins one sooner or later.

vCash
    Adding my thanks for the link to that video Cyn. Incredable!!!

Wow on how many Brits were in the cast. That's beyond impressive considering all of the dialects those guys had to tackle and pulled off.

BTW, I watched Why We Fight and Points the other night and every single time I've watched the scene where Liebgott has to tell the Men of the Concentration Camp they have to go back into the Camp...Just about kills me every single time. One of many scenes in BoB that just was out of this world incredable.

Sigh...I think it's rather telling how BoB has taken over this year's Emmy Awards thread when it comes to the quality on TV these days, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Adding my thanks for the link to that video Cyn. Incredable!!!

Wow on how many Brits were in the cast. That's beyond impressive considering all of the dialects those guys had to tackle and pulled off.

BTW, I watched Why We Fight and Points the other night and every single time I've watched the scene where Liebgott has to tell the Men of the Concentration Camp they have to go back into the Camp...Just about kills me every single time. One of many scenes in BoB that just was out of this world incredable.
    Sigh...I think it's rather telling how BoB has taken over this year's Emmy Awards thread when it comes to the quality on TV these days, huh?
    ITA! I think the testimonials are necessary or else people who have not read the book will think this was fictional.

As for the Emmy's: It mostly felt stale didn't it?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Ita--thanks for the names--and I am constantly surprised: I was watching a Dr. Who episode and realized the actor in one episode with was Blithe in BoB. His southern accent was flawless in the series. I had no idea...
    Ever since BoB aired (has it really been 11 years?), to this day I still do a double-take and/or grin whenever one of the actors from the miniseries shows up on another show or in a movie (for example, Matthew Settle (Ronald Spiers - the one who was rumored to have executed a bunch of German soldiers on D-Day after giving them cigarettes) on Gossip Girl, Scott Grimes (Malarkey) on ER, Ron Livingston (Lewis Nixon) in several different things, Michael Cudlitz (Bull Randleman) on Southland (it still cracks me up that some of of his first acting roles were on Growing Pains and Beverly Hills 90210.

Most recently, I was watching an episode of Cold Case from 2010, and James Madio (Frank Perconte) was in it -- it took me a few minutes to recognize him as his character had long, straggly hair, a beard, and he wasn't flashing his pearly whites. Incidentally, the real Frank Perconte is, at 95 years of age, currently the oldest surviving member of Easy Company. On a sadder note, between February 25th and May 23rd of this year, five Easy Company Veterans passed away, including Buck Compton (the Lt. who fell apart when Bill Guarnere and Joe Toye lost their legs in Bastogne). After the war, he went into law and was the lead prosecutor in the trial and conviction of Sirhan Sirhan for the assassination of Robert Kennedy, and eventually became a judge in the California Court of Appeals. Two of the other men, Joe Lesniewski and Ed Joint, both of whom were featured in the additional interview/documentary of Easy Company included in the BoB series, were lifelong friends following the war, and they both died within ten days of one another.

If anyone is interested in keeping up with news regarding Easy Company, here is the link to the official website for The Men Of Easy Company.

Anyway, enough hijacking of the Emmy thread (even though I find discussing BoB more interesting than last night's show ).

As far as the awards from last night, I'm still trying to figure out just how in the hell Jon Cryer won the Best Actor/Comedy Emmy -- the only reason I can come up with is that it was a reward for putting up with Charlie Sheen's asshattedness for eight seasons, because this past season with Ashton Kutcher blew goats (not to insult goats in that way). Crude and obnoxious as Two and a Half Men was/is, the first five seasons of the show (IOW, before Sheen went bugfcuk gonzo) were hysterical .

As much as I like Neil Patrick Harris, I absolutely do not get the appeal of How I Met Your Mother -- it seems like it's trying to be a more current, dare-to-be-hip version of Friends but IMO it just doesn't work. I mentioned this upthread, but like HIMYM, despite having a talented cast, I just can't get into Modern Family (or 30 Rock, for that matter); for me, at least, The Big Bang Theory is far more witty and entertaining, and I'd have been jumping up and down with a case of The Happys (like I did when Homeland triumphed over Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire for Best Drama Series) if it had won Best Comedy Series.

Regarding the category for Best Variety, Music, or Comedy Series, it's getting beyond ridiculous that The Daily Show won yet again for the 10th year in a row. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences needs to show Stephen Colbert some love, fer cryin' out loud. That being said, even though my preferred choice didn't win, overall I was okay with any of the nominees taking the award other than that despicable excuse of a human being and a waste of oxygen, Bill Maher. That piece of shit can FOADIAF as far as I'm concerned -- the world would be a better place without him.

Best Reality Show -- The Amazing Race freaking again? There are far more deserving shows amidst the dung heap that reality television has become (praise the ceiling cat that Top Chef won in 2010). Nine wins in ten seasons is ridiculous. Of this years nominees, Project Runway or Top Chef were far more deserving The one reality show I find intriguing that requires contestants with mind-blowing skill and coordination, History Channel's Top Shot wasn't even nominated (matter of fact, I'm fairly sure a lot of people don't even know this show exists ).

This may be a minority opinion, but I was for Kevin Costner's and Tom Berenger's Emmys for Hatfields and McCoys. The subject matter may not be that interesting to non-history buffs, but it was an excellent production and portrayal of the feud that has become a part of the American lexicon. Although Mare Winningham did not win for Best Supporting Actress for H&M, her nomination was more than well-deserved.

The Academy got it absolutely right with Glenn Weiss' Directing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Special Emmy for the 65th Tony Awards (in addition to the Creative Arts Emmy awards for Outstanding Special Class Program and Best Art Direction), and I think I would have rioted if anything other than the opening number, "It's Not Just For Gays Anymore" won for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics.. Normally I find the Tony Awards to be a bit of a yawnfest, but that particular one was bloody brilliant. I have the opening number, the duet with NPH and Hugh Jackman, NPH's closing "rap," and the performances by Sutton Foster/the cast of Anything Goes and the number from The Book of Mormon faved on youtube and never tire of watching them. It's a damn shame, however, that it didn't win the Emmy for Best Writing in that category (it's also too bad that there wasn't an award for NPH for hosting that night -- his was by far the best job of emcee-ing an awards show since Billy Crystal's hosting of the Oscars the year that Titanic won 11 awards -- his opening number lampooning all of the Best Picture nominees that year still cracks me up to no end.

vCash
    Ever since BoB aired (has it really been 11 years?), to this day I still do a double-take and/or grin whenever one of the actors from the miniseries shows up on another show or in a movie (for example, Matthew Settle (Ronald Spiers - the one who was rumored to have executed a bunch of German soldiers on D-Day after giving them cigarettes) on Gossip Girl, Scott Grimes (Malarkey) on ER, Ron Livingston (Lewis Nixon) in several different things, Michael Cudlitz (Bull Randleman) on Southland (it still cracks me up that some of of his first acting roles were on Growing Pains and Beverly Hills 90210.
    Same here!! Kind of the same feeling I get w/the LOTR actors in a movie I'm watching that I didn't know they were in. Good to see "the Family" again kind of a feeling too afterwards.

Most recently, I was watching an episode of Cold Case from 2010, and James Madio (Frank Perconte) was in it -- it took me a few minutes to recognize him as his character had long, straggly hair, a beard, and he wasn't flashing his pearly whites. Incidentally, the real Frank Perconte is, at 95 years of age, currently the oldest surviving member of Easy Company. On a sadder note, between February 25th and May 23rd of this year, five Easy Company Veterans passed away, including Buck Compton (the Lt. who fell apart when Bill Guarnere and Joe Toye lost their legs in Bastogne). After the war, he went into law and was the lead prosecutor in the trial and conviction of Sirhan Sirhan for the assassination of Robert Kennedy, and eventually became a judge in the California Court of Appeals. Two of the other men, Joe Lesniewski and Ed Joint, both of whom were featured in the additional interview/documentary of Easy Company included in the BoB series, were lifelong friends following the war, and they both died within ten days of one another.

If anyone is interested in keeping up with news regarding Easy Company, here is the link to the official website for The Men Of Easy Company.
    New bookmarked site for me. Thanks Cyn.

Anyway, enough hijacking of the Emmy thread (even though I find discussing BoB more interesting than last night's show ).
    No kidding!! As Cachoo said best, it was stale.

As far as the awards from last night, I'm still trying to figure out just how in the hell Jon Cryer won the Best Actor/Comedy Emmy -- the only reason I can come up with is that it was a reward for putting up with Charlie Sheen's asshattedness for eight seasons, because this past season with Ashton Kutcher blew goats (not to insult goats in that way). Crude and obnoxious as Two and a Half Men was/is, the first five seasons of the show (IOW, before Sheen went bugfcuk gonzo) were hysterical .
    Never have watched that show, but the only reason I can think of that he won last night was a Here's Your Award For Putting Up W/Charile *and* Ashton All These Seasons!!

As much as I like Neil Patrick Harris, I absolutely do not get the appeal of How I Met Your Mother -- it seems like it's trying to be a more current, dare-to-be-hip version of Friends but IMO it just doesn't work. I mentioned this upthread, but like HIMYM, despite having a talented cast, I just can't get into Modern Family (or 30 Rock, for that matter); for me, at least, The Big Bang Theory is far more witty and entertaining, and I'd have been jumping up and down with a case of The Happys (like I did when Homeland triumphed over Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire for Best Drama Series) if it had won Best Comedy Series.
    YES to all of that up there, but especially the bolded part. I adore TBBT, but as I'm also a nerdy geek, I get all of the jokes *and* it's also funny too. Yes, we're kind of made fun of, but it's done w/a lot of love if you know what I mean?

Regarding the category for Best Variety, Music, or Comedy Series, it's getting beyond ridiculous that The Daily Show won yet again for the 10th year in a row. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences needs to show Stephen Colbert some love, fer cryin' out loud. That being said, even though my preferred choice didn't win, overall I was okay with any of the nominees taking the award other than that despicable excuse of a human being and a waste of oxygen, Bill Maher. That piece of shit can FOADIAF as far as I'm concerned -- the world would be a better place without him.
    I adore both, so I was happy regardless if it was Jon or Stephen last night. I still adore Colbert and his Nation for coming to the rescue of the US Speed Skating Team for the Vancouver Olympic Season after ING got caught up in the entire financial mess and had to drop it's Sponsorship. So much respect from me to him for that. Plus, he's a huge LOTR geek like me, so how could I not be a fan?

Best Reality Show -- The Amazing Race freaking again? There are far more deserving shows amidst the dung heap that reality television has become (praise the ceiling cat that Top Chef won in 2010). Nine wins in ten seasons is ridiculous. Of this years nominees, Project Runway or Top Chef were far more deserving The one reality show I find intriguing that requires contestants with mind-blowing skill and coordination, History Channel's Top Shot wasn't even nominated (matter of fact, I'm fairly sure a lot of people don't even know this show exists ).
    All I'm going to say here, is this is where I know we're not somehow sisters separated at birth...LOL!! I love TAR and how the editing team pulls off the incredable work they do to make the show watchable is just mindblowing to me. Especially as I do know what goes into editing something to air on TV from my long ago experience at Broadcast Journalism school. It's Helluva *hard*!!

Top Shot sounds interesting however. Wonder if our History will perhaps pick it up for the second half/Winter/Spring Season up here. We've got a really interesting show started up here called Bomb Hunters that shows just what goes on in the companies that go into what was...For instance tonight, into an area on an Native Reservation in Eastern Ontario that was a training area used for bombing training runs for Allied pilots before heading over to WWII and now that Reservation wants to turn into a housing development, but all of those dropped bombs need to be found and cleared out w/out any of them going BOOM!!

When I first heard about it when our History started promo-ing their Fall Season, I wasn't too certain about it, but gave it a shot and now am hooked.

This may be a minority opinion, but I was for Kevin Costner's and Tom Berenger's Emmys for Hatfields and McCoys. The subject matter may not be that interesting to non-history buffs, but it was an excellent production and portrayal of the feud that has become a part of the American lexicon. Although Mare Winningham did not win for Best Supporting Actress for H&M, her nomination was more than well-deserved.
    I'll join you in the minority. I saw the first part, then missed the next two due to not being home, but really liked the first part. I'm planning on getting the DVD release for Dad for Christmas, as I know he'll love it. History, the Western type of genre is can't miss w/him.

The Academy got it absolutely right with Glenn Weiss' Directing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Special Emmy for the 65th Tony Awards (in addition to the Creative Arts Emmy awards for Outstanding Special Class Program and Best Art Direction), and I think I would have rioted if anything other than the opening number, "It's Not Just For Gays Anymore" won for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics.. Normally I find the Tony Awards to be a bit of a yawnfest, but that particular one was bloody brilliant. I have the opening number, the duet with NPH and Hugh Jackman, NPH's closing "rap," and the performances by Sutton Foster/the cast of Anything Goes and the number from The Book of Mormon faved on youtube and never tire of watching them. It's a damn shame, however, that it didn't win the Emmy for Best Writing in that category (it's also too bad that there wasn't an award for NPH for hosting that night -- his was by far the best job of emcee-ing an awards show since Billy Crystal's hosting of the Oscars the year that Titanic won 11 awards -- his opening number lampooning all of the Best Picture nominees that year still cracks me up to no end.
    Yes indeed they did. Those were amazing Tonys and wish I could have gotten to Toronto when the tour of The Book of Mormon came, but wasn't happening sadly.

Still so thrilled for Homeland and Damian tonight. Wonderful that something and someone so deserving actually got the kudos that are so deserved. Wonder if his kids have seen Daddy's "Emma" yet?

vCash

I think even Jon Cryer is trying to figure out how the hell he won. He kept apologizing for his speech afterward and I do think this was one actor who was honestly surprised that he won.

I love "The Daily Show" but I think what Colbert does is harder. Americans--satire---not an easy match and Colbert does is brilliantly. I don't know how the voters keep missing this. And ita about "The Amazing Race." At this point perhaps there should be a limit on how many you win. If you win five then maybe you should give it a rest for a year. I wonder if the true skill reality shows like "Top Chef" and "Project Runway" are splitting the vote allowing AR to do so well.

As for comedy my two favorite shows this year were much edgier fare for me.
    I liked Lena Dunham's "Girls" on HBO and I LOVE "Louis CK." I was so glad to see him win. To maintain control of his show he has a miniscule budget and somehow makes it work. In fact I think of his show as both comedy and drama because this is a man who is divorced, lonely, worried about his girls and just trying to get through each day. And he runs into some truly odd folks along the way. And I'm glad we get to see him on stage ala Seinfeld because he is smiling and sometimes hilarious.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789