Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

2013 Skate Canada Sectionals, Oct. 26-Nov. 11, 2012

Here are the all the dates and locations: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/even...ectionals.aspx

Central Ontario Sectional Championships
    Holly Community Centre, Barrie, ON
    Interim Entry list (as of Sept. 20) is linked from here: http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...tml#SECTIONALS
    Alexe Gilles is registered (representing Scarboro FSC) in Senior Ladies (she may have passed a Senior test yesterday, based on her tweet).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    It could be competitive to make it to challenge in senior ladies out of COS. At Thornhill Summer Skate, 7 of the top 8 were from COS, and that didn't include Najarro who withdrew. Daleman should have a bye due to being on the JGP (I can't find a link with that rule, but I know it was applied last year).

http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...02012/swrs.pdf

Not everyone who skated at Thonrhill has registered for sectionals yet. The deadline is September 26th.

I had fun watching sectionals last year and would love to again this year, depending on the schedule.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Explanation of Canadian qualifying system from Sectionals to Challenge to Nationals) and general info re. byes: http://www.skatecanada.ca/Developmen...S/Default.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Alexe Gilles is registered (representing Scarboro FSC) in Senior Ladies (she may have passed a Senior test yesterday, based on her tweet).
    Canada no longer has a Senior test - to skate Novice, Junior, or Senior, you simply have to have your Gold Freeskate test (up to 2Lz or 2A).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbyskates View Post
    Canada no longer has a Senior test - to skate Novice, Junior, or Senior, you simply have to have your Gold Freeskate test (up to 2Lz or 2A).
    i believe it's the other way around. to get your gold freeskate, you need to have your juvenile test. you still need to test the competitive tests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    i believe it's the other way around. to get your gold freeskate, you need to have your juvenile test. you still need to test the competitive tests.
    No, the only tests needed to skate in the competitive stream are Jr. Bronze - for skating up to Pre Novice, and Gold - for skating Novice, Junior, and Senior. The Juvenile test has no relation to the Gold test and never has. Back prior to July 2011, when you passed your Juvenile test your were credited with the Sr. Bronze test (but not the other way around.) As of July 2011, successful Juvenile tests were credited with their Jr. Silver test (but not the other way around.) Effective July 1, 2012 there are no more competitive tests. All the StarSkate tests - Prelim through Gold - are still available, but it is only the Jr. Bronze and Gold that are used for placing competitive skaters in levels.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    thanks for the correction!

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    The COS final start list is up:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...%2027sep12.pdf

There are a few skaters from other sections skating as guests, including Kate Charbonneau.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    This is the starting orders page for COS Sectionals.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...2013/index.htm

If you click on the entries it shows that some skaters have byes, but it's only last year's senior medallists from Canadians, except Paul and Islam show a bye too. In the past, any skater with a senior grand prix was byes to Canadians and anyone with another international assignment (including JGP) was byed through the challenge. I can't find the complete rules for byes on Skate Canada's website. Has the rule changed this year?

It's going to be very competitive just to qualify for the challenge in senior ladies in COS.

vCash
    Huh, I'd like to know this too. JGPs definitely used to get you through to challenge automatically. I also thought national team members had byes in the past?

vCash
    I think everyone has to register and pay for sectionals even if they have a bye with no intention to skate at sectionals

vCash
    Yes, everyone has to register for sectionals regardless of whether they have a bye or not, the question is whether being on the jgp grants you a bye like it did in the past.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Yes, everyone has to register for sectionals regardless of whether they have a bye or not, the question is whether being on the jgp grants you a bye like it did in the past.
    I always thought it depended upon when your jpg was to see if it actually impacted on your ability to do sectionals? As opposed to being a reward that if you do a JPG you don't have to qualify?
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    No, there was definitely a time when just being assigned to a JGP gave you a bye onto challenge. Besides, the JGP circuit is usually over by the time sectionals comes around. It's different in the US.

vCash
    A JGP assignment gives you a bye to Challenge. A SGP assignment gives you a bye to Nationals. Top three at Nationals last year are seeded as 1-3 at nationals this year.

In summary, Seguin, Daleman, and Chartrand will get a bye to Challenge. With Lacoste and Osmond the only Senior ladies with SGP assignments and Phaneuf retiring, Lacoste and Osmond have byes to Nationals (Lacoste #1 seed, Osmond #2)

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    A JGP assignment gives you a bye to Challenge. A SGP assignment gives you a bye to Nationals. Top three at Nationals last year are seeded as 1-3 at nationals this year.

In summary, Seguin, Daleman, and Chartrand will get a bye to Challenge. With Lacoste and Osmond the only Senior ladies with SGP assignments and Phaneuf retiring, Lacoste and Osmond have byes to Nationals (Lacoste #1 seed, Osmond #2)
    I hope that this is still true, but the start lists for COS Sectionals does not indicate byes for the JGP skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I hope that this is still true, but the start lists for COS Sectionals does not indicate byes for the JGP skaters.
    A byed skater may choose to skate sectionals. It's an extra chance to compete in a situation with less pressure than an international. For some skaters that extra opportunity is welcomed. Also, sections like it when their more "visible" skaters come and skate at sectionals. It's good PR!

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    A byed skater may choose to skate sectionals. It's an extra chance to compete in a situation with less pressure than an international. For some skaters that extra opportunity is welcomed. Also, sections like it when their more "visible" skaters come and skate at sectionals. It's good PR!
    Yes, of course. Najarro skated at sectionals last year (quite well actually) despite having a bye from the JGP. So the top 4 not including Najarro advanced to the challenge.

I just want to know if the top four plus Daleman will advance to the challenge this year, even though the start list doesn't say "bye" next to Daleman's name like it does next to Chan's name in senior men's (not that I expect Chan to skate there since it's just a week after Skate Canada but who knows?).

I think the COS senior women are going to have to skate well to advance to the Challenge.

vCash
    Yes, of course. Najarro skated at sectionals last year (quite well actually) despite having a bye from the JGP. So the top 4 not including Najarro advanced to the challenge.

I just want to know if the top four plus Daleman will advance to the challenge this year, even though the start list doesn't say "bye" next to Daleman's name like it does next to Chan's name in senior men's (not that I expect Chan to skate there since it's just a week after Skate Canada but who knows?).

I think the COS senior women are going to have to skate well to advance to the Challenge.
    I think it will be the same this year. I just did a quick scan online for the rules and found this http://www.skate-eos.on.ca/Documents...nouncement.pdf

It reads to me as though byed skaters only come out of the total spots for Nationals so each section should get to send the top 4 (8 for Quebec) to Challenge plus and byes.

vCash

I thought that JGP skaters only received a bye if they entered the junior level at their sectional. Of course, I can't find any document that lists that rule, but that's what I remember hearing in past years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast