Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    The US skaters made it through the JGP in Turkey, I am sure the Japanese skaters will also be treated with the respect they so deserve. It is about Governments not the people.
    I hate this but what does Turkiye have to do with this ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    The US skaters made it through the JGP in Turkey, I am sure the Japanese skaters will also be treated with the respect they so deserve. It is about Governments not the people.
    When were American athletes, not limited to figure skaters, treated badly in Turkey? I've also heard that Istanbul is a very beautiful and safe city.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko View Post
    When were American athletes, not limited to figure skaters, treated badly in Turkey? I've also heard that Istanbul is a very beautiful and safe city.
    I think the original poster was referring to Muslim protests in Turkey over that stupid film that is causing protests throughout the Middle East.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    When the 2011 World Championships were threatened to be canceled, Alissa Czisny wrote lovely open letter imploring that athletes be given a chance to compete. What have we heard from Mao and co? Crickets.

vCash
    Japanese skaters will avoid CoC from next year, and fewer Japanese fans will travel to see the event. Japanese citizens don't need visa to enter the country, so Japanese fans have been good customers for the Chinese federation. But no more. The federation will have difficulties to attract Japanese sponsors, too.
    A typical Japanese-like reaction to all this. They think rest of Asia will all go broke without their money. It's arrogance like this that turns off people, not claims over some deserted island, IMO.

I'm sorry I have turn this into an international diplomacy thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    When the 2011 World Championships were threatened to be canceled, Alissa Czisny wrote lovely open letter imploring that athletes be given a chance to compete. What have we heard from Mao and co? Crickets.
    What does one have to do with the other? Did Czisny wish to compete in Tokyo while Japan was dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami? Would that have been productive? She probably just wanted to be supportive, as many people did; after all, lots of skaters expressed their supports in words and actions.

But what happened there was a natural disaster. What's going on now is a political dispute with potential implications for skaters of specific nationalities. Mao, Dai et al. should stay out of it while the situation and potential safety is assessed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    misskarne, can you please give me a source for "the fact Japanese are being ATTACKED in China"? As in individual Japanese? I haven't heard any reports, or seen any reports either in international or local media of individuals being ATTACKED. I saw several protests first hand, and none of them had anyone attacking any individuals - and Beijing had the largest (and by all reports, most significant and harsh) protests by far.
    Japanese tourists were attacked by Chinese in Hong Kong.

vCash
    Dear FSU-sers. Please do not feed the trolls.

Dear Admins. It'd probably be best to either lock this thread before it turns even more ugly or move it into PI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Dear FSU-sers. Please do not feed the trolls.

Dear Admins. It'd probably be best to either lock this thread before it turns even more ugly or move it into PI.
    I know... (hangs head in shame). I figured it was a matter of time before this thread went places it didn't need to. I'd say move it to PI or to the K&C section.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I hate this but what does Turkiye have to do with this ?
    Sorry, no intention to offend. I know that the American team was cautious because of the recent release of the movie and the tension it caused.
    It is not the same, however there were similar concerns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    They did not pay attention to the islands until someone reported that there is a huge oil field sleeping under the sea nearby. Sigh...
    THat's the real reason !

I think skaters will be safe, anyway.
    It would be sad that they will be forced to withdraw from the competition, not only for themselves missing 1 gp to 2, and for someone possilby the final, but also for figure skating fans that will go to see the competition without big names and less skaters.

vCash
    Honestly I don’t like to read any discussions about politics on this board.

Politics should not obstruct any sports.
    Any athletes should have any opinions and the right not to compete or to participate in any competitions or events in the world by themselves.
    And really very hope sports bring peace and happiness to any people in the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Japanese tourists were attacked by Chinese in Hong Kong.
    As far as I know, there was only one incident, they (husband and wife) are not tourists as they have been living in Hong Kong for several years, and the person who attacked them was arrested the next day. Are there other incidents that I am not aware of?

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I certainly hope everything will calm down and get straightened out by November. It would be very sad and disappointing if Mao, Miki and Daisuke couldn't compete.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    A typical Japanese-like reaction to all this. They think rest of Asia will all go broke without their money. It's arrogance like this that turns off people, not claims over some deserted island, IMO.

I'm sorry I have turn this into an international diplomacy thread.
    Are you saying Japanese skaters and fans do not have the right to fear for their lives? Why do Japanese businesses have to tolerate vandalism and looting? Many of them are looking for a way to exit China because it's too risky. Consulting firms are getting really busy.

The Chinese goverment has started to stop trading goods from and to Japan at ports and airports. Japanese businesses are having a hard time, so are Chinese businesses in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Some diplomat's car was vandalized....
    That "some diplomat" was Gary Locke, the US Ambassador to China. He is of Chinese descent.

vCash
    A Chinese tennis player is being called a traitor because she decided not to withdraw from a game in Japan.
    http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...00068&cid=1101
    "Amid the outpouring of nationalistic sentiment China's top-ranked tennis player Li Na has been called a traitor by Chinese internet users for not canceling a trip to Japan for a tennis competition next week."

This blog article is interesting.
    http://sinother.blogspot.jp/2012/09/...ial-media.html

I have no idea how this will affect Chinese figure skaters who are scheduled to participate the NHK trophy. They will be safe in Japan, though.

vCash
    Are you saying Japanese skaters and fans do not have the right to fear for their lives? Why do Japanese businesses have to tolerate vandalism and looting? Many of them are looking for a way to exit China because it's too risky. Consulting firms are getting really busy.

The Chinese goverment has started to stop trading goods from and to Japan at ports and airports. Japanese businesses are having a hard time, so are Chinese businesses in Japan.
    You are making it sound as if Japanese businesses are in China to make some sort of donation. The bottom line is they are their to make money, but if they don't feel risking their own safety isn't worth it, they should be free to get out.

If they can't cope with making losses, they should complain to their own politicians who caused all the havoc, not to Chinese people who are reacting to all the provocations.

vCash
    You are making it sound as if Japanese businesses are in China to make some sort of donation.
    When did I say that? You are reading too much between the lines.

If they can't cope with making losses, they should complain to their own politicians who caused all the havoc, not to Chinese people who are reacting to all the provocations.
    Your justification to vandalism and violence is quite amusing. Did you tell French the same when the Chinese attacked the Carrefour stores for the free-Tibet protest in Paris?

vCash
    FYI, there is a China/Japan thread in the Politically Incorrect forum here on FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    I didn't know that Toyota was the sponsor of the event
    I guess you missed seeing my post #5 on the first page?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast