Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    sad ... because I bought my tickets (and was looking forward to giving you all a "no-teknik" report" from me) ...

I wanted to see Miki Ando and Mao Asada ...

vCash
    They will be fine as long as they are in the rink.
    To ensure their safety outside the rink, they should pretend to be Koreans just like most of Japanese expats do in the mainland these days.

vCash
    Much ado about nothing, no one outside of skating knows who the Japanese skaters are, and those who know, like their skating.

vCash
    If they don't wanna skate, let them pull out. Sounds to me like some skaters want to sit on their butts munching chips instead of competing. I hope they're not reassigned to another GP. Less competition for the other skaters to get into the Grand Prix Final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    If they don't wanna skate, let them pull out. Sounds to me like some skaters want to sit on their butts munching chips instead of competing. I hope they're not reassigned to another GP. Less competition for the other skaters to get into the Grand Prix Final.
    Who says it's the skaters' choice? If their federation tells them to stay home, that's what they'll have to do.

That said, I don't think it would be fair to move them to other GPs, either; it would make CoC easier than the other events by some way while other events could end up much more difficult. So long as there is good security in place, I don't see why any changes should be made. Lots of sporting events have taken place in situations in which there are tensions and hostilities, with no problematic consequences for anyone.

vCash
    Um, WHAT?

Or, you know, maybe the fact that Japanese are being ATTACKED in China means they're feeling a bit unsafe about going?

But no, of course they really want to have a secret chip-fest and sit on their couches all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Or, you know, maybe the fact that Japanese are being ATTACKED in China means they're feeling a bit unsafe about going?
    misskarne, can you please give me a source for "the fact Japanese are being ATTACKED in China"? As in individual Japanese? I haven't heard any reports, or seen any reports either in international or local media of individuals being ATTACKED. I saw several protests first hand, and none of them had anyone attacking any individuals - and Beijing had the largest (and by all reports, most significant and harsh) protests by far.

The protests have also ended.

Japan and China go back and forth annoying each like this every now and then, it's politics and history. But I didn't hear, see or read of any individuals being attacked.

vCash
    Some diplomat's car was vandalized and storefronts were smashed up - business as usual in the high tension Asian regions. People are acting as if it's a warzone akin to Syria or the Gaza strip. Drama dram drama.

Didn't Miki Ando already say she only signed up for the GPs because of her contract? She's probably delighted that the Japense Feds are threatening a boycott. Then she really gets to sit home and not bother with skating.

vCash
    Some diplomat's car was vandalized and storefronts were smashed up - business as usual in the high tension Asian regions. People are acting as if it's a warzone akin to Syria or the Gaza strip. Drama dram drama.

Didn't Miki Ando already say she only signed up for the GPs because of her contract? She's probably delighted that the Japense Feds are threatening a boycott. Then she really gets to sit home and not bother with skating.
    at both comments.

vCash

The Gaza strip should be far safer than Syria at the moment. OTOH, I don't believe that there is a rink available. As for the rest of the comment, give me a break. I don't know about Miki, but I have no doubt that Dai, Mao and TakaTran would love to compete at both their GP assignments and get to do a test run in Sochi.

vCash
    The US skaters made it through the JGP in Turkey, I am sure the Japanese skaters will also be treated with the respect they so deserve. It is about Governments not the people.

vCash
    I wonder if Toyota still has the plan to sponsor Cup of China. I saw the picture of a Toyota building in China burned by angry Chinese protesters, so I guess the new name of the competition, Toyota Lexus cup, may cause more trouble.
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...rong-japanese/
    Last edited by homura; 09-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    misskarne, can you please give me a source for "the fact Japanese are being ATTACKED in China"? As in individual Japanese? I haven't heard any reports, or seen any reports either in international or local media of individuals being ATTACKED. I saw several protests first hand, and none of them had anyone attacking any individuals - and Beijing had the largest (and by all reports, most significant and harsh) protests by far.
    You are right. Japanese are safe, at least so far. But a Chinese man who drove his Japanese car was nearly killed by the demonstrators. So sad they both were Chinese.

One of the worst examples: The case of a 51-year-old Chinese man Li Jianli who, according to the state-run Beijing Youth Daily, was beaten so brutally by an anti-Japanese mob for driving a Japanese car that he’s now partially paralyzed and can barely utter simple words like “thank you” and “hungry.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...se-protestors/

* Shocking Picture Warning
    http://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordp...2/09/large.jpg
    If such a news was reported in Japan, they must have been afraid. I'm not surprised.

---
    I found. It was reported already.
    Last edited by Glacier cat; 09-24-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add the last part

vCash
    Hmm, it's very strange to me.

If JSF wanted Japanese skaters' safety, why not send official documents directly to Chinese Skating Association or the Chinese organizer after the meeting instead of having an interview with reporters? I mean what they're insisting was what JSF ought to do and 100% correct *without a doubt*, but it's not the very way from my point of view. (I'm sorry, in advance, if they already did that but were flatly refused. I couldn't find it in the article.)

Anyway, hope every single skaters will be okay from the political crisis.

BTW, where exactly CoC is being held in Shanghai? If it's the Oriental Sports Center, that would be the best place for the safety! Far from main towns, No crowds except skating fan, Nothing but the building around and Lots of security check points & guards!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    The US skaters made it through the JGP in Turkey, I am sure the Japanese skaters will also be treated with the respect they so deserve. It is about Governments not the people.
    I'm afraid you've got a wrong analogy. Turkey happens to be one of the strongest U.S. allies in the World even though it is an islamic nation.

vCash
    I hope that the Japanese skaters are able to compete and there are no incidents at COC.

I didn't know that Toyota was the sponsor of the event, and I wonder if the Toyota name will make the competition more likely to be a target of political controversy in the current climate. Hopefully not.

It also makes me wonder whether the Chinese federation is having trouble attracting sponsors. I can understand the appeal for Toyota, though--maybe they were so interested in being in the Chinese market that they outbid all other offers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I'm afraid you've got a wrong analogy. Turkey happens to be one of the strongest U.S. allies in the World even though it is an islamic nation.
    I agree that's not the best example. But Israeli teams have managed to play in Turkey despite the current tensions between the two countries, and Israeli tennis player Shahar Peer has competed in Dubai and Qatar. This kind of thing is obviously more work for the event security, but it doesn't mean that it's not feasible.

vCash
    Reading through this thread, one gets the impression that there is going to be impending big trouble, death and disaster in the forthcoming COC. It's a long time since poor Nancy's knees were knocked. Maybe this drama may be good for figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Reading through this thread, one gets the impression that there is going to be impending big trouble, death and disaster in the forthcoming COC. It's a long time since poor Nancy's knees were knocked. Maybe this drama may be good for figure skating.
    Perhaps next Olympics might get dubbed as the "battle for Senkaku/Daowidao", a la "battle of Carmens" circa 1988.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    I hope that the Japanese skaters are able to compete and there are no incidents at COC.

I didn't know that Toyota was the sponsor of the event, and I wonder if the Toyota name will make the competition more likely to be a target of political controversy in the current climate. Hopefully not.

It also makes me wonder whether the Chinese federation is having trouble attracting sponsors. I can understand the appeal for Toyota, though--maybe they were so interested in being in the Chinese market that they outbid all other offers.
    A Chinese man was beaten almost to death just because he owned a Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if mobs target the event because it's called Lexus Cup. The question is if the authority will try to control them or not. They need to let the citizens "vent" once in awhile, or they will attack the authority.

Japanese skaters will avoid CoC from next year, and fewer Japanese fans will travel to see the event. Japanese citizens don't need visa to enter the country, so Japanese fans have been good customers for the Chinese federation. But no more. The federation will have difficulties to attract Japanese sponsors, too.
    Last edited by mikeko; 09-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast