Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: iPhone5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Really! In NJ you take your test in your own car.
    Yup. I know I would have failed had I tried to parallel park my parents' Voyager mini-van! IIRC I never tried that move with that vehicle.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I never have understood the problem with parallel parking. It is very easy if you follow the rules.

A) Make sure you find a spot big enough, this is kind of important
    B) pull next to the car in front of the spot you want lining up your back tires with that cars back bumper.
    C) Once lined up turn your wheel ALL THE WAY to the right (assuming you are parking on your right)
    D) Keeping the wheel turned all the way, begin backing up until your front tires are now lined up with the cars back bumper.
    E) Once lined up turn your wheel ALL THE WAY to the left
    F) Finishing back in. You should end up right in the spot with no problems.

You can use these steps to parallel park ANYTHING so long as you have enough space to fit, which is a rather obvious rule to begin with. Just make sure as you first pull up alongside the parked car that you leave some space (1-2 feet) You will feel like you will hit the car or the curb as you are backing in but you wont, not if you did it right.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I took my test in a taxi since we only had one car and it was in the shop.
    I took mine in a rental car because I didn't want to take the maneuverability test in my dad's station wagon . It was a Chevette and I prayed I wouldn't have to go on the highway for the test because it took the car forever to reach its maximum speed of 45 .

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    B) pull next to the car in front of the spot you want lining up your back tires with that cars back bumper.
    I was taught to pull up so that I as the driver was even with the other car's back seat, but otherwise, yeah.

I find it much easier to parallel park my husband's SUV than my sedan, even thought the SUV is much bigger. I can see everything so well--both the curb and the car behind me are visible in the side mirror as I'm backing up.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Yup. I know I would have failed had I tried to parallel park my parents' Voyager mini-van! IIRC I never tried that move with that vehicle.
    In NJ, if you don't have a car for your test, you'd have to borrow one. You can't rent one since you have to be 25 to drive a rental car (at least anywhere I've rented).

vCash
    In NJ, if you don't have a car for your test, you'd have to borrow one. You can't rent one since you have to be 25 to drive a rental car (at least anywhere I've rented).
    I was lucky enough to find a few companies that would rent to me when I was under 25 and flying to grad school interviews. They did slap me with a hefty "under-25" fee though

vCash
    Yeah, most states will rent to you, but they'll charge you extra. It's almost impossible to rent if you're under 21, though. At least it is in Kansas.

vCash
    Precisely, and the '93 Voyager would have been the car I would have borrowed, as I was only 21, still in college and home on winter break at the time.

Actually, I don't know whether the rental places around here would allow non-licenced drivers to use rentals because some of them require the names of all persons who will be using the car, & you do have to present your license. My parents had to use rentals several times when the van was in the shop for one thing or another, and I remember there was one that I wasn't allowed to drive because I wasn't there when the papers were signed for it, & I did have my license at that point. All the rest of them I was allowed to drive even though I wasn't there when they got the car. I'm thinking those may hace been loaners from the dealership where their car was being repaired.

vCash
    I just wen to the local Sony store and they have been renovated and have a familiar look to them. I think they remodeled their stores to look like Apple's. LOL Imitation is indeed the most sincere form of faltery.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This thread jinxed me. I had to parallel park and it took two tries! I did get lined up right the first time but I was too far from the curb so I had to pull out and start over.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I never have understood the problem with parallel parking. It is very easy if you follow the rules.

A) Make sure you find a spot big enough, this is kind of important
    C) Once lined up turn your wheel ALL THE WAY to the right (assuming you are parking on your right)
    D) Keeping the wheel turned all the way, begin backing up until your front tires are now lined up with the cars back bumper.
    E) Once lined up turn your wheel ALL THE WAY to the left
    F) Finishing back in. You should end up right in the spot with no problems.

You can use these steps to parallel park ANYTHING so long as you have enough space to fit, which is a rather obvious rule to begin with. Just make sure as you first pull up alongside the parked car that you leave some space (1-2 feet) You will feel like you will hit the car or the curb as you are backing in but you wont, not if you did it right.
    Turning the wheel ALL THE WAY is the most important thing IMHO; trying to turn the wheel while moving the car at the same time leads to disaster every time.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I didn't say that I rented it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Actually, I don't know whether the rental places around here would allow non-licenced drivers to use rentals because some of them require the names of all persons who will be using the car, & you do have to present your license.
    I didn't say it was legal .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hmm, not sure why but this thread is about parallel parking now. I used to be a pro at this and got into the tightest of spots, a useful skill in San Francisco. Parallel parking on a steep San Francisco hill, now that's taking it to another level, even the locals hate that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I didn't say that I rented it.
    I didn't say you did

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I didn't say you did
    No, you didn't. I was just making the point that an unlicensed driver under 25 can't rent a car here, either.

The shuffle was for Peter G.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    You know, that doesn't surprise me. I drove in California a month ago and it was one of the most terrifying things I've done
    Folks who live in one of the more crowded cities have to parallel park all the time. My fiance has only been in CA (was born here and has never set foot in any other state) and he's a pro at parallel parking. Changing lanes is still a bit of a challenge, but that's because he still has his mirrors oriented too far in and has to look around my Civic's huge columns to check the blind spots. I'm much better at changing lanes, but still need practice eyeballing for parallel parking. I hate paying for metered parking anyway, so I usually aim for the validated garages.

I also have been in a car where the driver, an older Asian lady, did (I swear) a 16-point turn just to get INTO a MARKED parking space. I was like, "Just park the car already, I don't care if it's crooked IN THE SPACE. Don't you see the car behind us cursing us out?" So in some regards, the stereotypes involving Asian drivers can be true.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I just wen to the local Sony store and they have been renovated and have a familiar look to them. I think they remodeled their stores to look like Apple's. LOL Imitation is indeed the most sincere form of faltery.
    I think a new FSU term has been coined!
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hmm, not sure why but this thread is about parallel parking now. I used to be a pro at this and got into the tightest of spots, a useful skill in San Francisco. Parallel parking on a steep San Francisco hill, now that's taking it to another level, even the locals hate that.
    Ain’t thread drift grand?
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    ooooops....
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Back to iPhones:

Had my new iPhone 5 literally snatched out of my hand while I was dining at a busy restaurant last night. Fortunately, witnesses were able to chase the thief down and recover the phone almost instantly.

If that hadn't worked, police cruisers have laptops in them, and because I just set up the "Find My iPhone" app, I would have been able to log on to iCloud, track the phone's precise location, and display a warning message/sound a loud ring tone. I directed the police officer to do just this after we recovered the phone, as extra proof that the phone was actually mine (beyond the fact that there's a huge picture of me for its wallpaper).

So, a word to the wise - download this app now if you have iPhone 3GS and later, and set it up. It only takes a few minutes to do so. I'm sure there are also similar apps for non-Apple devices.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I'm surprised people find CA drivers to be scary. I find them to be pretty mellow. For example, if you put on your turn signal, they will mostly let you into the lane. That almost never happened to me driving on the East Coast, especially places like the Schuylkill Expressway Expressway ... which wasn't called the SureKill Expressway for nothing.

Anyway, I am liking the new iOS6 but I am not happy with the Music app. Creating playlists on that thing is a major PITA!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Yikes, I'm glad you got it back UMBS!

I set up Find my iPhone two days ago, but it always thinks it's in Cupertino I'm thinking that must be the default, but how do I get it changed? It's definitely set to "on" on the phone itself.

Also, thanks to FSU, I got iCloud (I keep typing iCould..?) and the photostream set up. The only thing it's super useful for me is for pictures, since I use my iPhone as my main camera - particularly as I'm typing up a blogpost and decide on illustrations as I go - and I would have to plug in the phone and download them manually, or email them to myself, but that function is absolutely perfect for me. Took me awhile to figure out that it a) only works on wireless, and b) only works when you have 20% or more battery though, since I like to wear mine down to less than 5-6% before charging it

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast