Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: iPhone5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Parallel parking is not on the driving test in North Carolina.
    It was in NY when I took the test in 1996, as was the 3-point turn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It wasn't on the test in Hawaii in 1983 and it's not on the test in CA right now.
    You know, that doesn't surprise me. I drove in California a month ago and it was one of the most terrifying things I've done

Anyway we were in this small town in the north and my friend parallel parked on the main street. Some old guys were sitting out front of a shop watching us, and they clapped when we got out of the car. We thought they were being sexist and sarcastic because of the stereotype that women can't park...now I know they were probably just impressed
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Anyway we were in this small town in the north and my friend parallel parked on the main street. Some old guys were sitting out front of a shop watching us, and they clapped when we got out of the car. We thought they were being sexist and sarcastic because of the stereotype that women can't park...now I know they were probably just impressed
    I mentioned upthread how I back into my parking spot in our lot from right off the street - everytime I've ended up with a car right behind me it's been a woman driver. I think most women are not very good at the more "technical" skills like backing a car in to park. It is a skill, & you do have to be mindful of the reversing of direction in the steering as compared with going forwards. Unless they drive professionally, chances are good you won't find too many women who actively cultivate skills like parking in places they can't just pull into going forward.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The Google Maps that came on the 4s did not have audio navigation. So, the new iPhone map app is better for navigation, if you're driving.
    I have a proper SatNav for when I need audio navigation. I use Google Maps when I'm a passenger and we want to check alternate routes in traffic, or decide to go somewhere different to where we'd intended, but more often I use it when I'm walking.

And based on the truly scary errors for my (very large) city that I've seen listed in relation to Apple maps, including whole suburbs being misnamed, and entire sets of streets disappearing, I'm inclined to stick to Google. Although my favourite error so far is actually for another Australian city, where Apple maps apparently shows a railway station that closed 30 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I think my iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread (hate iTunes with a passion though), and I have no intention of getting rid of it, but I'm also pretty sure there are other decent smart phones on the market.

Oh, and add me to the list of people who keep paper maps as a backup. They're essential when you're in the middle of the central business district and all the tall buildings mean you can't get data on the phone, and the SatNav can't find any satellites.
    1. Drive a stick shift.
    2. Read a paper map.
    3. Change a tire.
    4. Parallel Park.
    Can't drive a manual car (I'm clutch-challenged), but not ashamed of that. Can do all the others, although the last few times I've tried to change a tyre I haven't been able to shift any of the wheel nuts (even standing on the socket wrench) because they've been put on by machine, and have had to give up and call roadside assistance.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I can do all four, except that I recently had to call RAC to come and help me with a blown tyre since my current car does not have a spare.

I don't know if the driving test in the UK has changed much since I took mine 16 years ago, but then you had to learn a 3 point turn, reverse around a corner and parallel park. On the test you would have to do two of the three skills randomly selected by the examiner. Parallel parking was always my favourite and I was never asked to do it and i had to take the bloody test three times before I passed it.

vCash
    There is a graduated licensing system here in Ontario. In the first test you do parallel parking, 3 point turn, etc. The 2nd test requires highway driving.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I was listening to an NJ radio talk show yesterday. They based one of their topics on: Can you do any of these 4 things:
    1. Drive a stick shift.
    2. Read a paper map.
    3. Change a tire.
    4. Parallel Park.
    I can do all four. I actually prefer driving a stick shift.

Parallel parking hasn't been on the driving test here since I was 16, when we had the option of doing maneuverability or parallel parking, as parallel parking was phased out that year. The maneuverability test is harder to do, and if you can do it, you should be able to easily parallel park, although some people still freak out about it and drive all over looking for other ways to park. Still plenty of people who can do it, though, judging by the number of cars I see parked on the street.

My kids can read a paper map just fine, but everything else? Not so much.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Totally off topic question, is tire spelled tyre in the UK?

vCash
    Yes

In the UK, almost all young learner drivers learn in manual cars (I have never heard the term stick shift?!) and so I find it odd that it's on the list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralGirl View Post
    Yes

In the UK, almost all young learner drivers learn in manual cars (I have never heard the term stick shift?!) and so I find it odd that it's on the list.
    I can only speak from my own experience, but when automatics came on the scene, many people stopped buying manuals. By the time I was 17 (in 1970) my family had driven manuals, exclusively, for years. I don't know if this is different elsewhere, but in the US you take your test in your own car. So, if you don't have a manual... Also, back then behind the wheel driver's ed was given by the PE teachers. If your family car was manual, you were taught on one, if it was automatic, you were taught on that.

When my kids took their tests 8 & 10 years ago, they still had to parallel park and do a "K" turn (3 point).

vCash
    I went to college at Pepperdine (built on a mountain) and learned to drive a stick there -- parrallel parking upon said mountain while trying not to be late to class. May be the one thing I can consider myself "bad ass" at.

vCash
    I did have parallel park as part of my test in PA circa 2006, iirc.

Definitely doesn't mean I'd attempt it now though.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    U.K. cars also have bonnets and boots.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    I
    but in the US you take your test in your own car.
    Maybe in your time and state, but I took and passed the road test for my NYS license in January 1996 in the examiner's car. You get a 10 minute practice drive, & then eveyone being tested in that session gets dropped off at the start of the test route, & you take turns getting tested. I actually had to go for the test twice because, when I went for the initial test the previous month, we did the practice drives and then the examiner went back to the school to check on a student who was a no-show when we went to pick her up. He came back out & said all tests were cancelled due to poor road conditions because we had had a snow storm the day before. I remember that was when I learned how to "rock" a car to get it un-stuck.

My dad took his road test in a WWII-era Willys jeep that had 3 levers for shifting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Maybe in your time and state, but I took and passed the road test for my NYS license in January 1996 in the examiner's car. You get a 10 minute practice drive, & then eveyone being tested in that session gets dropped off at the start of the test route, & you take turns getting tested. I actually had to go for the test twice because, when I went for the initial test the previous month, we did the practice drives and then the examiner went back to the school to check on a student who was a no-show when we went to pick her up. He came back out & said all tests were cancelled due to poor road conditions because we had had a snow storm the day before. I remember that was when I learned how to "rock" a car to get it un-stuck.

My dad took his road test in a WWII-era Willys jeep that had 3 levers for shifting.
    Really! In NJ you take your test in your own car.

vCash
    To get back to the new IOS 6 upgrade, other than the new map app full of errors, has anyone encountered other bugs or glitches? I'm still on IOS 4, waited too long to upgrade to 5 and now that only the 6 version can be downloaded, won't be able to avoid it, as more and more of my app updates are requiring IOS 5 or later.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I took my test in a taxi since we only had one car and it was in the shop.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Unless they drive professionally, chances are good you won't find too many women who actively cultivate skills like parking in places they can't just pull into going forward.
    That hasn't been my experience at all, and I've lived in 4 different countries so my experience isn't limited. The big difference could be that none of those countries was the US, and so parking was more challenging in all of them. The US is a dream for parking

I can only speak from my own experience, but when automatics came on the scene, many people stopped buying manuals.
    Not true elsewhere. Automatics have been available in Europe for roughly the same amount of time, so not driving them is a choice. You can get them, although they're more expensive, but you have more control over your car when you're in a manual so I tend to think it's a preference.

Having learned on a manual, I get scared driving an automatic, because I KNOW I don't drive as well. I don't pay as much attention to what I'm doing because it's just so easy - like driving a toy Fairly sure this doesn't apply to people who have always only driven autos though, like my best friend, who is the most careful driver I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MartineB View Post
    To get back to the new IOS 6 upgrade, other than the new map app full of errors, has anyone encountered other bugs or glitches? I'm still on IOS 4, waited too long to upgrade to 5 and now that only the 6 version can be downloaded, won't be able to avoid it, as more and more of my app updates are requiring IOS 5 or later.
    To be honest, it seems fine. Porting my contacts in from google was a pain, but I think that's Apple rather than IOS 6. The maps works well too in the that it's very smooth...just, you know, totally wrong
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Not true elsewhere. Automatics have been available in Europe for roughly the same amount of time, so not driving them is a choice.
    I understand that, I was speaking bout the US. In fact, it is not easy to find new manuals in the US.

To be honest, it seems fine. Porting my contacts in from google was a pain, but I think that's Apple rather than IOS 6. The maps works well too in the that it's very smooth...just, you know, totally wrong
    I had no problem with any of that. But, all of my devices are Apple and it all synchs through iCloud.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    My experience with parallel parking is that most people do it just fine but some people don't have good spatial relation skills and it's more challenging for them. But there is on street parking everywhere in the Bay Area and I don't see people doing that back and forth thing that people do when they have no idea how to parallel park so they aren't going into the space at the right angle.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast