Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone5

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    There are less complicated ways to upgrade your phone.
    I know, right.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It's not compatible with current mini-SIM cards, does that mean everyone who gets one needs a news phone number?

vCash
    YouTube disappeared on my phone and Mr. Twizz's phone as well.

Also, what is Passbook? Looks good, but when I tap the icon, it says "unable to connect to the iTunes Store. Is anyone else having that problem?

ETA: Nevermind. It's working now. I guess I just had to complain about it, lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Which is all really nitpicking since:
    1) first of all, it's an app, and it's not only on the iPhone 5, it's going to be in iOS 6 for all Apple devices now
    2) if you want to use Google Maps, you can do so by going to Google Maps within Safari and then bookmarking it as a shortcut on your home screen.

I did try the Apple Maps feature yesterday on a route I know very well, and it was graphically rich (pseudo-3D), beautiful, and intuitive, adjusting seamlessly to deliberate changes I made in my route. Basically renders all GPS devices redundant.

All the other features work beautifully and while no single feature is necessarily the best out there, the sum is greater than the parts. The phone as a whole is really simple and intuitive to use and is one of the best .
    Wow, I was just sharing a critique I heard about and I'm very sorry I spelled app wrong. I'll do better next time...promise.

vCash
    Just did the download on my 4S iPhone - it was fast and I'm liking it a lot so far . Now waiting on my iPad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I might ask for the iPhone 5 for Christmas. I want one so badly.
    I found that emotional blackmail work quite well on parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    It's not compatible with current mini-SIM cards, does that mean everyone who gets one needs a news phone number?
    I have had cell phones for a long time including the ones with no sim card and my number has remained the same. It is just a matter of programming the new card I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have had cell phones for a long time including the ones with no sim card and my number has remained the same. It is just a matter of programming the new card I believe.
    I don't think this is possible with either the Chinese or Australian SIM cards Or maybe it's the networks it's not possible. I've bought my iPhones outright from Australia so I can use them on the Chinese local network.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post

Also, what is Passbook? Looks good, but when I tap the icon, it says "unable to connect to the iTunes Store. Is anyone else having that problem?

Youtube won't be on the iPhone/iPod anymore. Apparently the licence ran out and they didn't renew it. I read that Google is developing a new app for it though.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post

Yes, I got the Passbook icon and the same thing happens when I click on it - "Unable to connect to the iTunes Store". Yet, I can connect via the iTunes Store icon. I wonder if Passbook is just not available yet.

vCash
    I'm thinking of maybe getting a 5. I've always been android but my incredible has been acting up for a few months now, a couple of weeks ago I had to do a complete factory reboot/ACTIVATION with Verizon. This sucker is only 1.5 years old! I'm eligible for an upgrade next month so I'm starting to research.... Is there a big difference between android and apple? Does apple have a good working word processing app?

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I'm thinking of maybe getting a 5. I've always been android but my incredible has been acting up for a few months now, a couple of weeks ago I had to do a complete factory reboot/ACTIVATION with Verizon. This sucker is only 1.5 years old! I'm eligible for an upgrade next month so I'm starting to research.... Is there a big difference between android and apple? Does apple have a good working word processing app?
    I plan on replacing, my Incredible soon too. I'm sticking with Android, though. I have an iPad and don't want an iPhone. My deal breaker is that iPhones don't have microSD slots. Because I take so many pictures with my phone, I want them saved to an SD card, in case something happens to the phone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I plan on replacing, my Incredible soon too. I'm sticking with Android, though. I have an iPad and don't want an iPhone. My deal breaker is that iPhones don't have microSD slots. Because I take so many pictures with my phone, I want them saved to an SD card, in case something happens to the phone.
    Just an FYI, with Apple's iCloud all your photos are saved regardless of the device you use. So if you take photos with your iPhone, they are automatically saved to your Photo Stream that you can view on your iPad or computer.

vCash
    I was going to wait, but in the end couldn't resist and updated to iOS 6 Wednesday afternoon. Really impressed with how well Apple's servers held up, it was completely painless.

As for the infamous maps, they were better than I feared for my area but there were some inaccuracies with POIs - for example a neighborhood bar was placed a couple blocks away. I'd hate to be outside the US for sure!
    Last edited by Lara; 09-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    Youtube won't be on the iPhone/iPod anymore. Apparently the licence ran out and they didn't renew it. I read that Google is developing a new app for it though.
    Google's new YouTube app is already on the App Store. Do a search and it should come up! Not iPad optimized though yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Google's new YouTube app is already on the App Store. Do a search and it should come up! Not iPad optimized though yet.
    Is it Remote?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I was going to wait, but in the end couldn't resist and updated to iOS 6 Wednesday afternoon. Really impressed with how well Apple's servers held up, it was completely painless.

As for the infamous maps, they were better than I feared for my area but there were some inaccuracies with POIs - for example a neighborhood bar was placed a couple blocks away. I'd hate to be outside the US for sure!
    I'm really reluctant to upgrade to IOS 6 after reading about the maps issue. I used Google Maps a lot for real-time traffic and Apple Maps is based on TomTom. The last time I used TomTom was in Croatia and it sent me and a friend on an alternative route to the main toll road that turned into a single-lane, dirt track through a forest, with a sheer cliff about two feet from the right edge of the car and warnings about unexploded mines along the left side. For some odd reason, that experience makes me reluctant to trust TomTom navigation.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Just an FYI, with Apple's iCloud all your photos are saved regardless of the device you use. So if you take photos with your iPhone, they are automatically saved to your Photo Stream that you can view on your iPad or computer.
    Really? So it means I didn't lose all my photos when my iPhone was stolen last week? That was the thing I was very sorry to lose.

I am on the waitlist for 5. They said it would take a while, whatever that means.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I'm really reluctant to upgrade to IOS 6 after reading about the maps issue. I used Google Maps a lot for real-time traffic and Apple Maps is based on TomTom. The last time I used TomTom was in Croatia and it sent me and a friend on an alternative route to the main toll road that turned into a single-lane, dirt track through a forest, with a sheer cliff about two feet from the right edge of the car and warnings about unexploded mines along the left side. For some odd reason, that experience makes me reluctant to trust TomTom navigation.
    I wonder why.

Apple (wrongly) puts new airport on the map

SURELY NOT? Minister for Justice Alan Shatter yesterday said pilots could be misled into trying to make an emergency landing on a farm in Dublin because of an error on a new Apple iPhone map tool.

In a statement – possibly slightly tongue-in-cheek – the Minister said he had notified the tech giant of an error in his south Dublin constituency and asked for it to be urgently corrected.

“I know on occasion mistakes can be made and I am surprised to discover that Airfield, which is in the centre of my constituency in Dundrum, has, in Apple’s new operating system iOS6 maps application, been designated with the image of an aircraft,” he said.

Apple’s new iOS6 maps app has placed a standard airport map symbol on the spot of Airfield, a 35-acre site that is home to a city farm, gardens and a cafe.

“In the context of Airfield there are a variety of possible alternative images that could be utilised, such as a cow, a goat, a sheep, a flower or indeed any other type of plant, as Airfield operates a nursery,” Mr Shatter’s statement said. “An aircraft is an entirely inappropriate flight of imagination.”
    I'm scared to update as I know a few people who've lost their contacts on their phone.

When it updates does it delete the Google maps and Youtube apps from the phone?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    When it updates does it delete the Google maps and Youtube apps from the phone?
    Yes.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    In that case, I'm definitely not updating.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast