Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 104
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7460
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The campaign part is pretty well documented (e.g. see the third paragraph of this story):
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...mpaigns/45570/

    The "close personal relationship" part - I guess it depends where you get your gossip from.....
    Oh - I totally believe the part about the campaign. As you pointed out, it's well documented.

    I just don't see her having sex with Harvey W. **off to bleach my brain!**
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  2. #62
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,825
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    21538
    but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,821
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Learning another language does not require banning television in their native language; they could watch both. And you can't deny that Gwyneth's pretentiousness is well-documented and may very well be her motive.
    Exactly!

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The article does not say she doesn't let her kids watch English-speaking TV.

    I am surprised that she lets her kids watch TV at all .
    Yeah, they might see their mother acting in something and realize what a bad actress she is.

    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I think it's great to have kids watch TV in another language - but it's just the way she comes across. It's irritating.
    Completely agree.

    Saw her interviewed after she did some cookbook, after traveling around with Mario Batali. You would have thought she was the first woman to ever cook. Beyond pretentious.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2689
    All this Gwenyth Paltrow hate is just so heart-warming! As much as I liked SIL, she did not deserve that Oscar, she was really the weakest perfomer of that crop. Cate Blanchett and Fernanda Montenegro out acted and outclassed her in every way possible.

    Sadly, she's not even in the running for my worst Oscar Winner for BA. Julia Roberts, Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep( for Out of Africa, I like her in everything else, and think she should have won over my next mention especially) and Sandra Bullock actually make me spit up bile.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reserving a parking spot for Mao.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    22,664
    vCash
    83943
    Rep Power
    39427
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Sadly, she's not even in the running for my worst Oscar Winner for BA. Julia Roberts, Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep( for Out of Africa, I like her in everything else, and think she should have won over my next mention especially) and Sandra Bullock actually make me spit up bile.
    Meryl Streep didn't win the Best Actress Oscar in March 1986; Geraldine Page won for her performance in A Trip to Bountiful. Streep's two Best Actress wins were for Sophie's Choice and The Iron Lady, respectively. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Kramer vs. Kramer.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2689
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Meryl Streep didn't win the Best Actress Oscar in March 1986; Geraldine Page won for her performance in A Trip to Bountiful. Streep's two Best Actress wins were for Sophie's Choice and The Iron Lady, respectively. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Kramer vs. Kramer.
    I stand corrected, and YAY (26 years later even though I only saw the movie 3 years ago )
    This means Gwenyth is back in my five worst!

    Re: Meryl Streep, I loved her in Kramer vs.Kramer and Sophie's Choice. I thought she would have been a very worthy winner over either Gwenyth or Sandra, but I just could not stand OofA, and for some reason I thought she had won for that role.



    Back to Gwenyth... yeah, she's a twit. I knew people like her back in the day, but most people grew out of that pretentious phase after their teens.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2948
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    Spanish is useful for many reasons, but at our facility, they explicitly do not allow for health professionals to speak to patients in non-English languages. They insist that trained medical interpreters be used.
    Wow, I'd be pretty annoyed as a physician if I had to waste time with a translator when I speak to my own Mom in Spanish. Though it's true that doesn't guarantee not getting medical terms mixed up.

    In any case, ITA she's pretentious but also agree with those saying TV is useful in teaching second languages. I wonder what Spanish stations would be available in London anyway? I imagine the major French networks are easy enough to get.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process
    Georgina Chapman got her money through her Marchesa fashion line ... the dresses of which conveniently end up on the backs of Oscar-contending actresses in movies produced by Weinstein.

    Hollywood goes round and round ...

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    923
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Gwyneth Paltrow is awful and her Oscar was undeserved, but she was really good in Two Lovers, with Joaquin Phoenix, and The Royal Tenenbaums. I think she's an actress who should only ever have played supporting roles. She's terrible as a lead.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,821
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process
    Yeah, I can't see her with him either

    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Georgina Chapman got her money through her Marchesa fashion line ... the dresses of which conveniently end up on the backs of Oscar-contending actresses in movies produced by Weinstein.

    Hollywood goes round and round ...
    She doesn't need Weinstein to push her dresses on the red carpet. She is one of the best for couture evening wear. Marchesa is fabulous!

  11. #71
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,671
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5868
    I just discovered this blog... http://goopsididitagain.blogspot.com/

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,821
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Love it! She really is a silly twit.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,179
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4192
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The campaign part is pretty well documented (e.g. see the third paragraph of this story):
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...mpaigns/45570/

    The "close personal relationship" part - I guess it depends where you get your gossip from.....
    Cate Blanchett deserved to win. End of that story, IMHO.

    As for the rest of the article, it seems typical Gwyneth to me ... which isn't saying much.

    O-

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sometimes I think that Gwynnie is just messing with us, as though this is her idea of performance art or (more likely) some kind of marketing strategy to keep people talking about her. Surely nobody can be this ridiculous without making a conscious effort?

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    Posts
    21,091
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12584
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    All this Gwenyth Paltrow hate is just so heart-warming! As much as I liked SIL, she did not deserve that Oscar, she was really the weakest perfomer of that crop. Cate Blanchett and Fernanda Montenegro out acted and outclassed her in every way possible.

    Julia Roberts, Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep( for Out of Africa, I like her in everything else, and think she should have won over my next mention especially) and Sandra Bullock actually make me spit up bile.
    I usually like just about anything Meryl Streep has done, but OOA damn near drove me bonkers. Ditto for The Bridges of Madison County (she was nominated but did not win)

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Cate Blanchett deserved to win. End of that story, IMHO.
    Co-signed. Cate wuzrobbed bigtime that year.

    *******

    I may be in the minority on this, but in the movie A Perfect Murder, I was rooting for Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen .
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,821
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I may be in the minority on this, but in the movie A Perfect Murder, I was rooting for Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen .
    The first time I watched it, I rooted for Paltrow. I didn't know what a witch she was, then. After, I rooted for Douglas and Mortenson. Figured Douglas would get off due to the mental cruelty of living with her.

  17. #77
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6860
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process
    Maybe he has a great personality.

    And I think Gwyneth is completely right about plastic surgery so I don't get ragging on her for not wanting to get it but also not ruling it out. There are so many OTHER things you can rag on her about, why rag on something where she's being sensible and not pretentious?
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,920
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    She's just this pretentious thing who has no idea how the other half lives. She's a kindred spirit with the Romneys.. IMO (The other side of the coin)
    Last edited by bek; 09-26-2012 at 01:48 AM.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,821
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    She's just this pretentious thing who has no idea how the other half life. She's a kindred spirit with the Romneys.. IMO (The other side of the coin)
    She is far more pretentious than the Romneys.

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2689
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    :


    Co-signed. Cate wuzrobbed bigtime that year.

    *******
    .
    I don't if I would have gone with Cate. I thought Fernanda Montenegro gave a wonderful performance for Central Station (so underrated and one of my favorite foreign films) and Emily Watson's Hillary and Jackie is such an underrated performance too . Meryl Streep was also her usual terrific self . That was such a tour de force year for BA . Yet, it went to the weakest actress and most mediocre performance of the bunch.

    Gwenyth Paltrow was truly like the box of stale raisins in the bag of Halloween Candy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •