Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Which is exactly why there should be more of them going to "Nationals" in whatever form it takes.
    I'm not a fan of this new format either, but I'm not sure what the best answer is. I do wonder if larger numbers are allowed at sectionals or nationals, if fewer clubs would even bid to host those events(i.e. additional practice groups, doubling the time needed to run events, etc). Seems like that is already a bit of a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I'm not a fan of this new format either, but I'm not sure what the best answer is. I do wonder if larger numbers are allowed at sectionals or nationals, if fewer clubs would even bid to host those events(i.e. additional practice groups, doubling the time needed to run events, etc). Seems like that is already a bit of a problem.
    Is there a significant logistical difference in running 18 skater events rather than 12-skater events? Official practices could be 1-9 and 10-18, and one additional warmup would add 30min or so to each event...As for hosting such a "large" event, it seems there are club comps out there with far larger numbers (I'm thinking of Liberty in particular.) Sectionals also seems to be a "smaller" event than Regionals- on the East Coast at least- if you consider the sheer number of entries in the NA and SA regions.

vCash
    Some clubs/rinks hosting Sectionals may only have 1 ice surface, so increasing 6 events (Juv Boys and Girls FS and Int Men and Ladies SP and FS) by 30 minutes and having additional practice and official warm-up groups (I believe there is a rule that qual comps can only have a max of 6 singles skaters on each practice, or can that be adjusted by the ref?) could be very difficult to work in when events are already going from 8 am to 9 pm or so. At this point, 2 ice surfaces are not required to host Sectionals; if they were, there would be a lot fewer clubs able/willing to bid.

vCash
    Interesting - Eastern Sectionals is typically at a location with >1 ice surface, or at least with additional practice ice already arranged at another facility w/in 15-20 minutes. What clubs have hosted recently with only one ice surface? In other sections?

vCash
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Tammi; 09-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    Sorry, phone went crazy and double posted
    Last edited by Tammi; 09-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Interesting - Eastern Sectionals is typically at a location with >1 ice surface, or at least with additional practice ice already arranged at another facility w/in 15-20 minutes. What clubs have hosted recently with only one ice surface? In other sections?
    I believe LOC's utilize secondary ice surfaces for some official practices and most, if not all unofficial practice. What I think Debbie meant, is that it's usually only 1 event rink and already days are long on that single competition surface (12-18 hours) to also accommodate warm ups and usually at least one official practice.

Title-less
    vCash
    Hicks is probably not making the JGPF. Pacific Coast will be tougher now as Hicks will likely be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I believe LOC's utilize secondary ice surfaces for some official practices and most, if not all unofficial practice. What I think Debbie meant, is that it's usually only 1 event rink and already days are long on that single competition surface (12-18 hours) to also accommodate warm ups and usually at least one official practice.
    Right, even rinks with more than 1 surface usually hold Sectionals on 1 surface and use the other(s) for income-generating activities (publics, hockey).

But I don't believe it is a requirement to have 2 surfaces for Sectionals like it is for Regionals, unless it was changed. In terms of Easterns, I remember SC of Boston hosted a few years ago and they have 1 surface, but that may have been before Juv and Int pairs and dance were in the mix.

I don't believe Regionals and Sectionals are very profitable for host clubs, but I could be wrong. I have heard it has become a struggle lately to find hosts, at least in some regions. There are a limited number of clubs that have the facility, human resources, and desire to host these events and if the requirements were to increase, the number of potential hosts will decrease.

I liked the larger, proportional JN format and I'm sorry to see it go. For some kids, that was their only opportunity to go to a national comp.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Northwest Pacific (NWP) Regionals has started in Eugene, Oregon and the first event of the day, Intermediate Men's SP, is done - link to starting orders/results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...8/results.html

Selena Zhao in Junior Ladies is probably the NWP skater with the potential for scoring the highest at NWP. She recently won the Junior Ladies event at the inaugural U.S. Challenge Skate in Salt Lake City.

ETA the link to a local Oregon article/TV news video report on NWP Regionals: http://www.kval.com/news/local/Lane-...?tab=video&c=y

Another local article: http://www.registerguard.com/web/spo...ugene.html.csp (ETA: no longer viewable)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    Last year I went to sectionals, and I came across people who liked skating along the way (not diehard fans though), and they didn't know sectionals was being held that weekend, with top jr ladies competing.

I'm more than willing to pay more $$$ for a good sectionals competition (instead of that nonprofitable 5 or 15 bucks a day), but tptb has to get more tickets purchasers to make it profitable, and if they do that, then they need to find a rink with more seating, etc. etc. etc. (tough situation)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Hicks is probably not making the JGPF. Pacific Coast will be tougher now as Hicks will likely be there.
    Yeah at the beginning of the season I think most people expected Vanessa and Courtney to make the JGPF and thus not be at sectionals, but now it looks like they will both be there, meaning qualifying for Nationals out of PACS should be pretty tough, especially if Keiser and/or Wang doesn't qualify for JGPF either. Keiser probably only needs to place 4th or higher to qualify, but for Wang with a bronze she'll probably need to win her next event, or at least get silver, which is a big ask considering the field.

Title-less
    vCash

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I don't believe Regionals and Sectionals are very profitable for host clubs, but I could be wrong. I have heard it has become a struggle lately to find hosts, at least in some regions. There are a limited number of clubs that have the facility, human resources, and desire to host these events and if the requirements were to increase, the number of potential hosts will decrease.
    They're profitable. The problem is that you need a huge number of volunteers, especially for regionals, and many clubs don't have that manpower. I'm volunteering at EGL this next week and I'm not a member of the club (although I do use their drop in ice). If you don't have a whole lot of members and/or access to a large skating community to help out, then it is impractical to host them.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The first qualifiers for Sectionals are the top 4 NWP Juvenile Girls - re-posting the results link for NWP Regionals: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...8/results.html

The other 3 NWP events finishing today are: Intermediate Men (all 4 entered), Juvenile Boys (2 entered), and Novice Ladies (top 4).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow - see this is why it sucks. South Atlantic has 20 girls over 40 points yet only 4 of them get to go on. And They can only get 2 girls to place 40+.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FWIW, I did a quick count in Scoretracker of the Juvenile girls that are known to have scored 40+ in club competitions this summer/fall across the 9 regions:

SA: 118 registered in 6 groups at Regionals; 20 have a score of 40+
    NA: 107 in 6 groups; 4
    NE: 63 in 4 groups; 8
    Total: 288 registered; 32 have a score of 40+

SW: 67 in 4 groups; 16 have score of 40+
    UGL: 63 in 4 groups; 12
    EGL 54 in 3 groups; 8
    Total: 184 registered; 36 have a score of 40+

SWP: 62 in 4 groups; 19 have score of 40+
    CP: 24 in 1 group; 6
    NWP: 24 in 1 group; 4
    Total: 110 registered; 29 have a score of 40+
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    [double post]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The other 3 NWP events finishing today are: Intermediate Men (all 4 entered), Juvenile Boys (2 entered), and Novice Ladies (top 4).
    I'm guessing there's no fill-up rule?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    6 of the 8 Juvenile boys entered in SWP Regionals are advancing to Pacific Coast Sectionals so the fill-up rules applies: 2013 SWP Regionals Number of Skaters Advancing to Sectionals chart

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast