Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twirlygirlsmom View Post
    Has anyone heard if they are going to do the Special Achievement Awards again this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Does anyone know whether there are "mini recognitions" (I forget what they are called) being given out at Regionals this year? I think last year was for high spin score and any +2 GOE. Or is that up to each Region?
    There's still a page for it in the Athletes section of the the USFS site so I assume it's continuing: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=506

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleturn View Post
    They are being given out at NE at least.
    Thanks for the confirmation about NE, doubleturn!

SWP Regional Juv. Girls 1-4 to Coasts: A Nakahari 49.17, L Meisel 48.85, E Ales 48.51, K Calhoun 48.17 (3 of the top 4 are from qual. Group D).
    5-6: M Abad 48.06, G Kokotakis 47.61
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    They are being given out at NE at least.
    Thanks!

And thanks, Sylvia!

vCash
    2 triple lutzes, 3toe 2toe, 3sal, two 2axels -one as 3 jump combo from Yasmin. Fell Out of a triple toe but great spins and ftwk. She's back!
    Last edited by ioana; 10-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Good for Yasmin Siraj! 101.85 is her highest FS score season of the season so far, AFAIK.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Mari Kalina did two Axels and a 3sal (maybe ur, but not sure). Great energetic ftwk to Pirates of the Carribran. Buchanan had a lovely skate, maybe 3flip and 3 sal were close, but nice ice coverage.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I have a lot of respect for the Senior ladies who are balancing college studies with training for/competing at Regionals. For example, I know Maria Kalina (who used to compete out of UGL from Minnesota) just started her freshman year at Harvard, Kendall Wyckoff is at Middlebury College in VT full-time, Chantine Akiyama (originally from L.A.) is at M.I.T., and I believe Aimee Buchanan is also in college right now.

ETA that Danielle Shepard, a former JGP competitor, may have graduated from college this year (not sure) and competed over the summer, including at Collegiate Nationals, after several years away from the competitive scene.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Emily McNally has great jumps, but needs some work when it comes to the artistic side and more flattering spin positions. Huge double axels and fast rotation on easier triples, even if rotation was questionable on a few. Jenelle Herman was more tentative than in the short, but still went for 3 or 4 triPles.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash
    NE Senior Ladies

Final flight:
    Yasmin Siraj: 1 slightly fugly landing on a jump near the end. Otherwise excellent job. Strongly into first.
    Maria Kalina: Nice speed. I know I've heard this music before, just can't place it right now.
    Aimee Buchanan: Very nice spins that did not travel.
    Emily McNally: Cool tuxedo-looking costume. A couple of slightly fugly jump landings. 1 wierd-ending spin. 4th with 2 skaters to go. Might be good enough to get her to Sectionals. Don't know.
    Jenelle Herman: Finished slightly after the music I think. Jumps OK.
    Alexandria Shaughnessy: Flattering dress on her (salmon pink). Shame about the one fall. Rest of the jumps looked OK.
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Anyone know anything about Lauren Dinh? I heard she switched regions (UGL or EGL) and coaches (now training with Yuka Sato and Jason Dungen), but I don't see her name on any of the results/roster lists for UGL, EGL, or SW (her old region) so I was just wondering if she's injured or still even competing?

Also the roster isn't published for CP regionals, but I didn't see Amanda Dobbs' name on the list for any of the practice ice sessions and she isn't listed on the roster for SW regionals either so I guess she's not competing this season?

And finally someone probably already answered this earlier but does Cesario have to compete at North Atlantics because she withdrew from the JGP in Germany, or does she still get a buy to Easterns? I'm hoping she gets a bye so she has time to rest and avoid getting seriously injured again!!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    pinky166, your questions (except for Amanda Dobbs) are answered here: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

vCash
    It breaks my heart that Marykate Abad would have won every other regional thus far with her score (except for NE), yet she'll miss out on qualifying to Pacfic Coast Sectionals by 0.11. Something has to be done to amend this system. It's not fair that the best skaters are missing out because of where they live!

vCash
    Not much to report for first Novice group, but second one already has noticeably better speed and ice coverage in warmups. Spotted a few 2 axels, too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It breaks my heart that Marykate Abad would have won every other regional thus far with her score (except for NE), yet she'll miss out on qualifying to Pacfic Coast Sectionals by 0.11. Something has to be done to amend this system. It's not fair that the best skaters are missing out because of where they live!
    Remember that PCS, which is a huge factor in deciding the final score, varies widely such that the total score cannot always be compared across regions. I am currently looking at a score sheet from the Liberty final (in which Abad competed) where the highest PCS awarded was 22.04.

http://www.iceworkssc.org/Liberty/Re...nk1/SEG017.pdf

At SWP the high component score was 28.54 points! That's 6.5 points higher. I certainly have never seen an event out on the East Coast with such astronomical component marks. In fact at a recent SA club comp (Falling Leaves,) the highest component score was only 18.44- and several of those girls are contenders for the top 4 spots at regionals. Looking at the same skaters this past May (with a different judging panel awarding a different range of component marks) the top placing skater that competed at both events had a lower component score by 4.59. I am assuming she is a better skater now than she was in May. Technical scores also vary based on the GOE awarded by the judges, so unless you are actually comparing the skaters side by side you really cannot make sweeping generalizations about one region vs. another. Unfortunately for Abad, ONE more +1 on her FSSp4 would have added 0.13 to her score, and she would have been in 4th place.

On a similar note, SA Regionals should be interesting- in the Juvenile division there are 3 girls that have been credited with clean 2A's in club competitions this year (that I am aware of.) It will be a fight for those 118 girls to secure 4 places. The Juvenile winner of NA (Annabelle Morozov) tied with the SA 13th place skater in SA Juvenile Scoretracker (Kathy Mai) at Liberty. Yes, the tie was broken, but they had the exact same numerical score in the final when compared in side-by-side competition (39.26.)

Unless these skaters are compared directly with the same panel present, it is almost impossible to state that X skater would have made it in region Y (NWP with its grand total of 24 Juvenile skaters notwithstanding ) And as stiff as the competition may be here or out west, we won't really know until nationals how they all match up with one another. As helpful as Scoretracker is (thank you, Sylvia!) the juvenile scores are really tough to compare across competitions because the top technical scores in all of these events generally fall into the 20-23 range while the components vary drastically.

vCash
    I find it so baffling that you have more Seniors qualifying to Nationals than Juveniles or Intermediates when it should be the opposite.

You the the biggest amount of skaters competing at the younger levels and they drop out as time goes on.

Why only have 12 spots for the youngest skaters when there are thousands competing? 30 would make more sense.

And please don't tell me "no money". Skaters pay their own expenses to Nationals, don't they?

vCash
    Taylor Rae Roco who is leading now did two nice 2axels and a 3sal that looked rotated to me. Great ice coverage and speed, too. Nice centered spins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I find it so baffling that you have more Seniors qualifying to Nationals than Juveniles or Intermediates when it should be the opposite.

You the the biggest amount of skaters competing at the younger levels and they drop out as time goes on.

Why only have 12 spots for the youngest skaters when there are thousands competing? 30 would make more sense.

And please don't tell me "no money". Skaters pay their own expenses to Nationals, don't they?
    I agree that there should be more spots, particularly with the age for Juvenile increasing to 13. This effectively locks out some of the young talent that just can't compete with someone who is older, and encouraging kids to stay Juvenile longer than they really should just so they can "make it." If you're still juvenile at 13, you aren't likely to become a national contender at the higher levels, and USFS should know this. I think the age was raised with the intent to encourage skaters to stick with the sport. However simultaneously doing away with JNs and making qualification impossibly high for our potential future champion skaters (and somewhat arbitrary, as I noted above re: MaryKate Abad and one +GOE being the difference between making it and not making it) may in fact have the opposite effect.

Ziggy, skaters did NOT pay for entry to Junior Nationals, so I imagine it was quite an expensive competition for USFS to run...

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash
    NE Novice Ladies'

Caitlyn Smith: Good start to the competition. Jumps OK with no falls.
    Giorgina Giampolo: Shame about fall on 2A. Very good otherwise.
    Sarah Smeriglio: Final spin lost speed at the end. Shame about the one fall.
    Lina Takaoka: Lost edge on flying camel. That spin combo never really happened.
    Nicole Lee: Good attack to the program. Spanish-themed but not Carmen.
    Jessica Sims: one combo popped to 1/1. Double loop in another combo was under-rotated. Final spin (right in front of me) travelled a bit. Tried her best.

Taylor-Rae Rocco: Shame about pop on one combo and fugly landing on another. Possible triple sal in the corner away from us.
    Isabelle Dost: Lost edge just after footwork was completed and fell. Very good job otherwise.
    Rachel Caley: Singled back half of 2 combos (both right in front of me). Pleasant skater to watch.
    Rebecca Peng: 1st 3loop appeared landed -- 2nd one was messy. Fall on 2a. Probable downgrades.
    Paulina Pawlak: Final spin ended after music. Speed slowed down at the end. Music had a veeeery long, drawn-out ending.
    Megan Wessenberg: Excellent way to end the competition. Good energy that was sustained throughout

That's it for the New England Regional. I will not be at Easterns due to November being during the busy season at work.
    This space for rent.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash
    After Isabelle Dost skated, I asked ioana if Isabelle was the younger sister of Rochelle Dost (who came up at the same time as Yasmin Siraj). ioana wasn't certain. I said "I'll have to ask Sylvia. She will know."

No sooner do I finish saying that, then I hear the following from the SCOB cheering section "Go baby Dost". Sylvia is psychic!
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8cch View Post
    Ziggy, skaters did NOT pay for entry to Junior Nationals, so I imagine it was quite an expensive competition for USFS to run...
    I don't mean entry, I mean travel and other expenses.

If poor federations can afford to have 30 or more lower level skaters compete at Nationals, I can't imagine why USFS can't.

There were 40 Entry Level 2004-born girls, 21 Entry Level 2005-born girls and 26 Bronze Girls (that's like Pre-Juvenile equivalent I think?) at 2012 Polish Youngster Nationals.

At 2012 Youth & Novice Nationals there were 37 Novice Girls.

At 2012 Youngster and Junior Nationals there were 30 Silver Girls (that's Juvenile equivalent I think) and 27 Junior Ladies.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 10-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Ziggy, up until this year, 40+ Intermediate and Juvenile men and ladies would qualify for "Junior" Nationals from the 9 Regionals and there were qualifying rounds at Nationals. This is the transition year for this new format (top 4 Juv./Int. singles skaters from each Regional make it to the 3 Sectionals, then top 4 from each Sectional qualify for Nationals like in Novice-Senior). I suspect this format may change again in the future.

After Isabelle Dost skated, I asked ioana if Isabelle was the younger sister of Rochelle Dost (who came up at the same time as Yasmin Siraj).
    I'm a little late here but, yes, she is.

That's it for the New England Regional. I will not be at Easterns due to November being during the busy season at work.
    Awww. I really appreciated reading your and ioana's first-hand impressions from New Englands... a BIG THANKS from me again!

P.S. to sk8cch: Nice to see you posting here and thanks for your interesting post about the TES vs. PCS scores of the Juvenile girls. I've noticed the high scores in SWP all season and was wondering how South Atlantics Juvenile scores stacked up since it is a deep region as well.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast