Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

lovely interview with sasha cohen

found this lovely interview with sasha cohen. i don't know if it was posted yet, but sasha was recently interviewed by michelle phan regarding life after the olympics, balance, and yoga.

you can watch it here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    found this lovely interview with sasha cohen. i don't know if it was posted yet, but sasha was recently interviewed by michelle phan regarding life after the olympics, balance, and yoga.
    The diet she followed as an athlete is downright scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    The diet she followed as an athlete is downright scary.
    Really? She set out three pretty substantial meals, two snacks and unlimited vegetables....when Johnny said he basically survived on Starbucks, and one meal of a small portion of grilled chicken and veg, that seemed much scarier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Really? She set out three pretty substantial meals, two snacks and unlimited vegetables....when Johnny said he basically survived on Starbucks, and one meal of a small portion of grilled chicken and veg, that seemed much scarier.
    I agree that Johnny's diet was stricter - seemed like a starvation diet, but Sasha's strikes me as stringent and very low calorie for a competitive athlete. Two egg whites - four almonds - one grapefruit - no oil-cooked restaurant meals. I wouldn't call it substantial even for a non-athlete. Rather, it would be an excellent weight reduction plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I agree that Johnny's diet was stricter - seemed like a starvation diet, but Sasha's strikes me as stringent and very low calorie for a competitive athlete. Two egg whites - four almonds - one grapefruit - no oil-cooked restaurant meals. I wouldn't call it substantial even for a non-athlete. Rather, it would be an excellent weight reduction plan.
    I don't know, she said three egg white omelette with mushrooms and spinach for breakfast, apple and almonds for a snack, grilled chicken with salad and balsamic for lunch, grapefruit as a snack, grilled fish and veggies for evening meal plus she then said as many veggies as you can eat to fill up.

It sounds strict, but not insignificant, just sounds super healthy and clean living, which I would expect for an athlete who has to keep their weight down as much as possible.

vCash
    So basically no carbs of any kind? I would be so depressed with a diet like that. It's one thing to cut out carbs to lose weight but to make that a long-term, every day thing... no thanks Also, wouldn't an athlete in training burn up a lot of calories? It just doesn't seem very sustaining.

vCash
    Well, there are carbs in fruits and veggies. I'm actually encouraged to hear that she was able to eat that much and maintain her size. Sounds like her plan was to get the most out of a relatively low-calorie diet.

But yeah... I'd be depressed if I followed that for very long. I run in part so I can drink beer and eat pasta. ;-) Good thing I don't have to squeeze into sparkly costumes very often.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    And we all know she had sugar--her website blog entries were always full of making chocolate, baking and eating ice cream. I would guess the quantities were very limited.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlercu View Post
    I'd be depressed if I followed that for very long.
    I've heard of people linking grains and sugar with depression, but not fruits and vegetables. I know you guys mean depression colloquially and not literally - that it would suck not eating the things you love. But her diet sounds pretty healthy and vibrant to me. Everything on that list has great nutritional value. There's no wasted calories.

Although, four almonds? What is even the point then? I'd rather just not have any than have to stop at four.

vCash
    Well, there are carbs in fruits and veggies. I'm actually encouraged to hear that she was able to eat that much and maintain her size. Sounds like her plan was to get the most out of a relatively low-calorie diet.

But yeah... I'd be depressed if I followed that for very long. I run in part so I can drink beer and eat pasta. ;-) Good thing I don't have to squeeze into sparkly costumes very often.
    But real, delicious carbs come from pasta and baked goods and sweets and stuff like that, not from grapefruit! Seriously, it just sounds depressing, and inadequate for an elite athlete who trains several hours per day.

BTW, there's a blog I read called Hungry Runner Girl - she seems to eat endless amounts of carbs and junk, but also runs all the time; I think she did 40+ miles the week before she had her baby (!). She is so thin and looks to be in great shape... I wish I could run but I don't think my knees and feet could take it, so I do other things, and skip the beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I've heard of people linking grains and sugar with depression, but not fruits and vegetables. .
    Seriously, that kind of calorie restriction would get to me over time. I run 30 miles a week and nurse an infant... I'd be constantly hungry regardless of how many celery sticks I ate. (Don't worry, I don't drink beer while I'm nursing. )

Maybe it's perfectly sustainable for a baby ballerina.

Off to have my afternoon oatmeal...

vCash

Although, four almonds? What is even the point then? I'd rather just not have any than have to stop at four.
    I had the exact same thought when she said that!

vCash
    still gorgeous and Sasha is aging very well

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    At least she's not lying about what she ate! (Like actresses tweeting photos of steak, etc, then they don't eat for a week afterwards.) I was really curious what Sasha was doing in 2010 because she was thinner than even her baby ballerina days. It does seem like low calories, but she was definitely focused, and only for a short period of time. I think it would have turned out better if she had started more in advance. She would have probably not had to go on such a drastic diet and have the injuries that derailed her Grand Prix. It doesn't seem sustainable, but then again, Katerina Witt hardly ate anything (according to her bio).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    It doesn't seem sustainable, but then again, Katerina Witt hardly ate anything (according to her bio).
    In one of Toller Cranston's books he talked about Witt being a very hearty eater when competitors were supplied with food trays backstage. Toller said he was jealous, he being so concerned about his weight.

vCash

I think doing exercizing, and exercizing the sport you love on top of it, is the greater power against depression.
    I love chocolate, but guilty pleasures don't even come close in terms of feeling good to exercising.

Plus: I don't think she had much choice in terms of eating if she wanted to be in the sport the way she was. She'd only have to stop that diet if it was un-healthy. But Sasha never looked un-healthy, in her latest come-back she looked a bit down, but I don't think it had to do with her weight as much as with knowing she wasn't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And we all know she had sugar--her website blog entries were always full of making chocolate, baking and eating ice cream. I would guess the quantities were very limited.
    She would bake, she would order cake and buy ice-cream, but I'm not sure she went on and eat.
    I remember her mentioning she would only sample - maybe back in Paris with TT.

I think she only had an entire ice cream cone in Turin, after her silver medal and before failing worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    This. I have never seen Sasha look better. School and New York seems to agree with her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    she's 27 not 72! I shudder to think of what hard living one would have to be doing to be aging poorly at 27. Even "wrong side of 30" bobek looks spectacular, meth addiction rumors et al.

vCash
    A great interview. Thanks for posting. Agreed - Sasha look wonderful. The long straight hairdo is much more flattering than the short curly 'do that she wore with SOI last year.

vCash
    I've heard of people linking grains and sugar with depression, but not fruits and vegetables. I know you guys mean depression colloquially and not literally - that it would suck not eating the things you love. But her diet sounds pretty healthy and vibrant to me. Everything on that list has great nutritional value. There's no wasted calories.
    Agreed, her diet sounds pretty reasonable, and extermely healthy. Everything she's eating is what I'd call "fuel food". Nothing wasted, and maximizing lean proteins and nutrients. It's ambitious for sure, but not out of the ordinary for both professional athletes or regular people.

Almonds are high in protein, but they are very very caloric. If you want to build muscle mass, almonds are great to eat first thing in the morning, but in relatively small quantities -- like 5 or 10. Since Sasha is quite short, 4 seems pretty reasonable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast