Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Exactly. Remember when this was possible?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FLgexOEvvs#t=3m23s
    I miss the whole program ...

vCash
    I didn't care for any of the spins but as a choreographic moment it was awesome... good example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    I didn't care for any of the spins but as a choreographic moment it was awesome... good example.
    I agree that some of the positions were sub-par, but as you said, it was the way it reflected the music choreographically. You rarely see that kind of imagination these days because the element list is almost predetermined.

I think when I say CoP Free Programs are "suffocated" it's because as a whole they rarely seem to be "free." Skaters go into their elements with their brains turned on counting turns, brackets, changing edges in such a concentrated, obvious way that any feeling of freedom is lost.

I really wish that they could just do overall scores in the free program for jumps, spins, and footwork and lessen the restrictions. Let the short program be the highly scrutinized technical program it was meant to be and return the free program to be more up to the skater in terms of what they think is competitive and best showcases their skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Vanessa's spins- beautiful and unique. However, I wonder if skaters would even get credit for something like that under 6.0. At least with IJS, skaters are given proper credit for well-done spins, which is how Evan won the Olympics. I think with 6.0, the "tiebreaker" was the jumps. Everything else got brushed under the rug.
    The tie breaker in 6.0 was the artistic marks after 1988. In 1988 (and I assume before, but I don't know how far back that goes) the technical marks were the tie breaker. That's how Boitano won the OGM over orser- by having higher technical marks. Had the artistic marks been the tie breaker in 1988, Orser would have won the OGM.

vCash
    I don't really know what to think - I don't think Gusmeroli's spins were that great (execution wise) in that long sequence, and there's nothing to stop a skater currently putting all their spins back to back in a programme if it fits with the music and the requirements for all spins are met.

I think it is a striking sequence because it hadn't been done before (or at least rarely). The opening spin combination where she does the back part first was also rarely done and noted by commentators for its difficulty, but under IJS it's more common to see back-forward spins than forward-back because the scoring system encourages it.

I would think that skaters that put all their spins back to back in a programme often would be criticised for not having a balanced programme and doing all their spins in one go.

The only reason it worked for Gusmeroli was because of the music, not so much because of how "free" 6.0 was. If someone skated to a piece of music that lent itself to this kind of long sequence of spins, it woul dbe possible to work something out under the current rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

The only reason it worked for Gusmeroli was because of the music, not so much because of how "free" 6.0 was. If someone skated to a piece of music that lent itself to this kind of long sequence of spins, it woul dbe possible to work something out under the current rules.
    But that's the whole point. They were able to listen to the music first, and build a program around it, not the other way around. The way it is now, the skaters already have their level 4 elements set and you choose positions and combinations to gain points first, and for musicality second. Doing that many spins in a row took Vanessa at least 30 seconds, and with the required revolutions we have now it would take even longer which leaves less time to do valuable jump passes in the second half. Not to mention that choreographed sequences have to be done after leveled ones, which means they will invariably end up in the second half as well.

I don't remember anyone complaining that Vanessa did "too many spins" or that the program looked too "spin heavy" at the end. Why? It made sense musically and showed originality. People respond to that.

ETA:
    Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcXM5s1NcQ
    I loved it when Fumie did both a circular and straight-line step sequence in her 2003 long program. She worked with the music and highlighted her strength in speed and steps. It helped her to win the bronze at worlds that year even with some flubbed jumps. Again, I don't remember anyone complaining that there was "too much footwork" in the second half...
    Last edited by Triple Butz; 09-28-2012 at 04:10 AM.

vCash
    Watching that program of Fumie's, I really miss Peggy's commentary!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234