Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    I would have given Johnny a lot lower than a -B tbh...

vCash
    Why that is completely shocking from you, misskarne

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by antmanb; 10-25-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Someone else already posted this!

vCash
    ^I think Johnny is fine w/ a B-. He hasn't competed since Vancouver and the fact he was landing the 4T (albeit UR) and 3x in a serious comp early in the season is good news to me.

vCash
    Armin and Doug both had better showings at SA than Jeremy IMO, taking into consideration what they are capable of. I'd give Armin a B and Doug a C, keeping Jeremy at D.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Obviously a lot can change in the coming months, but what a disaster for USFSA Not one man was a able to medal at SA!

If Ross medals at SC, it would do him a world of good.

Right now both Richard and Johnny look pretty good to me. If we could grade their outings...

Richard = A

Johnny = -B

Jeremy= D

Armin= F

Razzano= -F
    Different graders, different report cards:

Richard = B+ (Bravo, and keep going strong; become consistent with the quad)

Johnny = B- (get comfortable with new skates; land the quad cleanly; programs have great potential, IMO)

Jeremy = C- (great sp and beautiful fp -- needs physiotherapist, better jump layout and mental strategy, plus land all the jumps -- he can do it!)

Armin = D (land the quad, get more colorful costumes and build more impact and excitement)

Douglas = D overall (but better job in fp; needs to project more, and as above, land those quads)

I agree that it would have done a world of good had Doug and Armin been able to land all of their planned quads at SA or at the least skate cleanly and beat Machida (who skated cleanly and w/o fear, but is still only an up-and-coming 4th place Japanese skater -- did he even attempt a quad?), and Menshov. No question that Jeremy coulda shoulda landed on top of the podium had he landed his jumps -- too bad that he suffered or aggravated compressed nerve problem. Obviously, at the least Jeremy coulda been somewhere on the podium, and Armin and Doug could have placed better (at least 4th or 5th and 7th, rather than 7th and 9th).

The SA field did not contain either of the top two guys in the world. While Kozuka is a wonderful skater, he did not perform his absolute best at SA. I feel Hanyu was overscored in the sp (if they wanted to give out high scores, 88 - 90 is within reason for what he did in sp ... 95 is just a statement from the judges that they are totally awed by Hanyu and giving him more cred than he deserves at this point). Hanyu is precocious, but still only 17, and he still needs to gain experience, endurance and maturity, as his failures in the fp showed.

Ross is very resilient; fingers-crossed for him at SC!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Razzano landed his opening 4T cleanly in his Skate America FS.

Ross Miner landed at least two 4S in his first Skate Canada practice this morning (1 in his FS run-through - his other jumps were 2A (opened up)+2T, 3A, 3Lz landed then fell, 3Lz+half loop +3S combo, 3Lo, 3F, outside edge spread eagle to 2A) - link to watch a live stream of Thursday practices is posted in the TV Alerts forum (SC practice discussion thread is in the Kiss and Cry section): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...92#post3722192
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-25-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: to dd the rest of Miner's jumps in his SC FS run-through
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Sylvia. Yes, Doug was fired up to perform better in his fp, and he did do a lot better and determinedly landed the quad (thumbs-up for landing the quad in his fp, but he still needs consistency and improved presentation skills). It seems to me that since Doug and Armin don't have as much senior international exposure, they've got to go out there every time and skate lights out just to be given some credit, otherwise if they don't perform their best, political/rep scoring will keep them even further down in the marks.

Kudos to Ross, and keep up with the good work! Is Mark Mitchell with Ross at SC? (Peter J accompanied Christina to SA, and Mark was with Harrison Choate at his latest medal-winning comp). Mark and Peter are wonderful coaches.

vCash
    Yes, Mitchell is with Miner at SC.

Keegan Messing and Max Aaron are competing in the SP at Cup of Nice (starting now) - a link to the live stream is posted in this TV Alerts thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...rchived-videos
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow, Messing just scored 80.61 in his Cup of Nice SP! He landed 3A, 3Lz+3T, and a huge Russian split jump into 3F at the end.

ETA: Messing received an edge call on his flip - he leads after the SP with Max Aaron 2nd, 75.95 (4S fall, 3Lz+3T hand, very nice 3A). Men's FS is tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-26-2012 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Are any vids available from Coup de Nice.

Hope Ross can go clean in his fp at SC. Skating early went against Ross at SC, but he sure was not being held in high regard by the judges either (despite his fall out with hands down on the quad, and major error on combo where he lost a lot of points). Still Ross is a better overall skater than Balde (who went clean) and on a par with Amodio and Ten who both had errors on two jumping passes, not unlike what happened to Ross -- but Ross is behind all three, as well as a bit behind Gachinski who has lost his jumps and is neither smooth nor expressive (despite judges levels on his elements).

vCash
    For those without Kiss and Cry access, see this Cup of Nice thread in the TV Alerts forum for a link to the live stream and archived videos: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...rchived-videos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Are any vids available from Coup de Nice.
    Keegan Messing SP Cup of Nice 2012

I'll have another cup of nice, please.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks. I had trouble locating Keegan's performance in the archived stream.

Keegan was great in the sp at Cup of Nice. Is there a vid of his fp? He has programs this season which apparently match his flair. If he's able to continue performing with this kind of consistency and control, then he may be able to do some damage at Nationals. I wonder where this kind of performance would have rated him at SA?

However, does Keegan have a quad in his arsenal? Is he training them and just hasn't put them in his sp? Does he have one planned for his free program this season? It looks like most of the top guys and guys hoping to land in the top are trying to put the quads in their programs. However, that is difficult to accomplish because if you don't land them you lose points, and may also be thrown off enough to miss other elements (as happened to Ross in his SC sp).

Richard may be a bit ahead of the game this season (especially among the younger guys) since he worked on putting the quad out there last season during the GP with some success, despite his having blade problems at Nationals, which set him back a bit. Ross may have begun training the quad last season, but he did not attempt it in his programs last season yet skated fairly consistently and successfully with a GP bronze, U.S. Nats bronze, and 4CC bronze.

vCash
    However, does Keegan have a quad in his arsenal? Is he training them and just hasn't put them in his sp? Does he have one planned for his free program this season?
    Keegan has attempted quads off and on for several years. I know he's landed them, but I couldn't tell you when or where. He has had some bad luck with back injuries, which may have prevented his including a quad in his programs consistently.

vCash
    Good for Keegan, great short!

vCash
    Keegan Messing has won his second consecutive Cup of Nice gold medal (224.44, 144.33 2nd in FS) and Aaron the silver (219.62, 143.67 3rd in FS). Messing fell on 4T< in his FS and Aaron popped his planned opening quad into 2S, but both successfully landed the majority of their jumps today.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks. I had trouble locating Keegan's performance in the archived stream.

Keegan was great in the sp at Cup of Nice. Is there a vid of his fp? He has programs this season which apparently match his flair. If he's able to continue performing with this kind of consistency and control, then he may be able to do some damage at Nationals. I wonder where this kind of performance would have rated him at SA?

However, does Keegan have a quad in his arsenal? Is he training them and just hasn't put them in his sp? Does he have one planned for his free program this season? It looks like most of the top guys and guys hoping to land in the top are trying to put the quads in their programs. However, that is difficult to accomplish because if you don't land them you lose points, and may also be thrown off enough to miss other elements (as happened to Ross in his SC sp).

Richard may be a bit ahead of the game this season (especially among the younger guys) since he worked on putting the quad out there last season during the GP with some success, despite his having blade problems at Nationals, which set him back a bit. Ross may have begun training the quad last season, but he did not attempt it in his programs last season yet skated fairly consistently and successfully with a GP bronze, U.S. Nats bronze, and 4CC bronze.
    I happened to catch Keegan's and Max's LPs on Livestream at the Cup of Nice. My impressions for both -

Keegan's program looks more cohesive than I ever recall any of his programs being. His spins are incredibly fast and his jumps (save the Quad) are cleaner and tighter than before. He also has great FW and seems to have worked on how to sell the program.

One of my complaints about Max was that he seemed to throw everything away in a program but the jumps. But, his WSS story seems to be at least a bit more watchable than before. He bailed on the Quads but everything else is better and more consistent than ever before.

If they both keep it up, I think they could be podium threats at Nats.

BTW, would either Keegan or Max be on a substitute list for the GP due to good Senior B results??

vCash
    If Keegan's body holds up, he'll be a fantastic competitor in the next quadrenial. As of now he's slowly, but surely, improving each year. The body just needs to hold up...

Aww Ross, that was somewhat of a bad competition for him. Yes he had decent LP, but 8 place in the SP? No quad? He needs to turn it around in his next event.

Ross Miner: C

And where's Evan???????

vCash
    I think Ross has two very watchable programs this year, and he skated pretty well in the LP. I wonder what was the motivation behind using Dorothy Hamill's LP music?

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast