Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I was just perusing Sylvia's no's from her link. I think based on scores thus far, the US men are in a better position to take on the world than they were the last 2 season: More prepared, more Quads, and more attack. I think many eyes will be on Abbott and Lysacek to see what exactly they lay out on the ice at SA (Will Evan go for a Quad and how rusty is he? Will Jeremy finally show a little more consistency?) and what kind of scores they can bring. Johnny set the bar at 201 pts. for the 'old men' and I think they both will go above that.

But, Evan has to show up first ...

vCash
    As far as the clean Ricky vs. Inconsistent Jeremy vs. Normal Evan, and I say this as a huge Evan uber, Evan hasn't skated competitively in two seasons. And the code has changed pretty seriously since the last time he did. If he skates at SA, I'm not sure we have any idea what "normal" Evan is now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    That's the thing. Remember how he skated oh so billiantly at '11 Nationals but went on melting down at worlds. And last season was sort of a mirror how he was not handling the pressure well.

But I do think he's learned a lot from it and it'll be somehow different with him.
    Ricky skated a clean SP and earned a SB score in his FS at 2011 Worlds, scoring over 150 points for that program and hitting a 3a-3t in the second half of the program. His 9th place was actually a really good result considering the depth of the field and how he was competing on the junior circuit just that fall. Overall, he might have skated even better at 2011 Worlds compared to Nationals, simply because his SP was cleaner (his SP at Nats was a bit shaky and only relegated 7th place and a score of around 67 IIRC). The only mistakes in that FS were a doubled loop and a shaky landing on his 1st 3a, which was somewhat canceled out by the fact that he landed 3a-3t so well in the second half of the program, earning a bonus that he wouldn't have gotten had he performed that combo as intended at the beginning of his skate.

Last season, Dornbush was ok on the GP (SA - fairly good SP and okay FS, CoC - bad SP but pretty good FS), a mess in the SP at Nats but rebounded with a pretty good FS, then was off for both programs at 4CC. So really, he wasn't that inconsistent, he just wasn't skating his best, and considering he had boot problems, it makes sense. Richard last season was still probably more consistent than Jeremy is during any given season, he simply didn't score as high because Jeremy has more reputation, experience, and senior level medals to back him up as well as really strong PCS. I'm not saying his PCS aren't deserved, they certainly are, but Jeremy's TES is consistently a huge problem for him, last season I can't recall if he ever broke 70 for his FS TES, whereas Dornbush just posted 90+ at Finlandia and in 2010-2011 was regularly posting high 70s and low 80s for TES in his FS. Internationally, Jeremy may have up to 10 points in PCS cushion on Ricky (Evan as well), but at Nationals the differential is likely to be lower, and considering for Jeremy TES in the 60s and sometimes even dipping into the 50s is pretty normal, Ricky can easily make up those PCS points in TES with a strong skate. As for Evan we'll have to see, the quad was never his strong suit and now it's likely even he will need one to be competitive, and further, his 3a isn't great either. So now that he's taken time off, I wonder where he will slot in even if he skates cleanly...

vCash
    We are within 2 weeks of SA....Evan must be planning to skate or he'd have withdrawn by now. Right? His team has always let folks know of a withdrawal in plenty of time to send another skater. I can't imagine Evan being unprepared. I expect him to do well.

Jeremy was very late getting his programs, and I couldn't tell much from the show where the programs debuted. He didn't look really ready for competition, though. His overall excellent skating skills and choreography will probably help a sub par jump performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing Razzano (he's the other US man at SA?)

I think the US men will have a rough time beating Hanyu and Kozuka.

vCash
    I'm curious as to whether or not Evan's 3A will still be acceptable to the judges or if they will finally start dinging him for the under rotations.

vCash
    I don't think Evan's 3A is under rotated. It won't get any + GOE but don't see any reason why it would get - GOE.

vCash
    Sometimes, EL had problems with UR on the 4toe. But, I don't recall it being a problem with his 3x. Some complained about pre-rotations, though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Sometimes, EL had problems with UR on the 4toe. But, I don't recall it being a problem with his 3x. Some complained about pre-rotations, though

Sorry, I meant pre rotation, not under rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post

I think the US men will have a rough time beating Hanyu and Kozuka.
    Maybe so, but I think both Hanyu and Kozuka have vulnerabilities. Of course, if they both lay it down, they will be difficult to beat. And too, Kozuka is a former silver medalist, and Hanyu is the current World bronze medalist. And two Japanese men were on the podium at Worlds in 2011. However, in any given competition, anyone is beatable.

I agree the U.S. men have stepped it up a notch. They've had to. Rooting for them all to do well this season and to be strongly and consistently competitive!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Truly, I think Jeremy Abbott is better than everyone. I wish he could internalize that truth and rise to the top on the strength of belief in himself and his extraordinary talent.
    ETA: JEREMY ABBOTT new programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWzcVMkbfE Spy sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclDBc_ek2s Bring Him Home fp (abbreviated version)

And the plot thickens for U.S. men. Good luck to all.
    Granted, I am a frustrated Jeremy über, but that SP is freakin' AMAZING -- if he hits cleanly, he will demolish the competition.

As much as I want to like Dornbush (I loved his Sherlock Holmes FS), I just cannot get over my hatred of U2 to find the lurve for his SP.

ETA: Just watched Abbot's FS for the first time -- absolutely gorgeous and sublime , but he's GOT to land the jumps in order to win .

He also gets massive props for continuing to use music that is not overused and creating programs that push the artistic level.

Benji Schwimmer has the potential to become a kickass choreographer for figure skating -- he's two-for-two now with Abbott....I would like to see what he can do for Ice Dance (if he's already choreographed for anyone else, I'm not aware of it ).
    Last edited by Cyn; 10-09-2012 at 12:08 AM.

vCash
    One thing about Evan, he can be counted on to be prepared. I will be interested to see how his DWTS experience affects his skating and choreography.

vCash
    I don't quite "get" Abbott's SP yet. Looks like there may be gloves as gloves and gloves as guns? Also it was difficult for me to switch between suave spy and hip spy. I usually love his work (jumps or no) so hopefully I'll figure it out watching SA.

Hopefully the two weeks will help and he'll look more prepared to skate those two programs at SA.
    Last edited by centerpt1; 10-09-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: fix

vCash
    "Bring Him Home" is a beautiful program. My only concern is his jump placement. Obviously, that wasn't the fully competitive version, but should he really be placing next to no jumps in the beginning and the majority of his jumps at the end? Risky choice for Jeremy, but I love that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post

Hopefully the two weeks will help and he'll look more prepared to skate those two programs at SA.
    the question is is two weeks enough. He got his programs really late and then he got a really early GP assignment. I hope he can pull them all together in time.

vCash
    Also, forgive me if I missed it, but did Nathan Chen get a diagnosis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Also, forgive me if I missed it, but did Nathan Chen get a diagnosis?
    If he has, it hasn't been publicized. On a positive note, his injury didn't seem to keep him from doing some walking/touring around the old city of Zagreb from a few photos I've seen online.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    I'd love to know he's okay, though I must giggle a little at Chen being discussed in a US Men's thread.

vCash
    Maybe so, but I think both Hanyu and Kozuka have vulnerabilities. Of course, if they both lay it down, they will be difficult to beat. And too, Kozuka is a former silver medalist, and Hanyu is the current World bronze medalist. And two Japanese men were on the podium at Worlds in 2011. However, in any given competition, anyone is beatable.

I agree the U.S. men have stepped it up a notch. They've had to. Rooting for them all to do well this season and to be strongly and consistently competitive!
    Hanyu will be tough to beat. As for Kozuka, he kind of tanked most of last season, so while I like to hope he's back on track now and will return to his late 2011 form, we'll have to wait and see. Certainly his scores and placements from last season show he's vulnerable. Hanyu seems more consistent and a stronger competitor in general, but he's also so young that he could still potentially be dealing with body changes that require adjustment. We'll have to see. As of right now, both these guys, along with Javi and Dai, look to be in good form. And Richard. The Czech and French men, otoh, seem quite rusty/not ready yet. But it's early and that could change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I'd love to know he's okay, though I must giggle a little at Chen being discussed in a US Men's thread.
    Figure Skating: Where Thirteen Year Olds Are Men.

Jokes aside, I hope it's not serious. Which Regional/Sectional thingywhatsy does he have to do? How long does he have?

vCash
    Nathan Chen has a bye through his Regionals (Central Pacific) this month and so his next scheduled competition is Pacific Coast Sectionals, November 9-13, to qualify for Nationals.

BTW, confirmation that 2011 U.S. Junior silver medalist Alex Zahradnicek is skating now for France is in the French Masters article I posted in the French skating news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...14#post3706314
    Alexander Zahradnicek, the former U.S. competitor who is coached in Wilmington, Del., by Priscilla Hill and former jumping whiz Vincent Restencourt, came to skate in France for the first time and plans to represent France in the following years.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-09-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast