Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    At 4 cc in Japan Ricky is in 3rd place after the short program. Yay! Miner is in 9th and Aaron is in 10th. Go USA.

vCash
    Yeah, great program for Ricky after not being at his best at Nationals. I think Miner and Aaron actually skated well but were heavily penalized for the one mistake each made in their programs. Otherwise, I thought they both skated great and should actually be much closer in points to several of the skaters placed in front of them. When are U.S. guys gonna be given reputation points I wonder? We'll see how it pans out in the free skate. No matter what happens, it's a good trial run for Ross and Max prior to Worlds. They seem in good shape physically, especially considering they're just two weeks out from the grueling U.S. Nationals competition. For Ricky, just being able to compete at 4CCs is icing on the cake at this point.

I wish them all well.

vCash
    Aaron-4th; Dornbush-5th & Miner-9th. They are currently standing on SB list:Miner-11th; Aaron-13th & Dornbush-14th! Little Nathan Chen is 21st! I'm proud of our young up & coming skaters...in all disciplines!

vCash
    ^ITA.

I'm so happy that Ricky had a decent placement overall at 4cc--really hoping for Ricky in Olympic team the next season. I wasn't feeling Aaron at Nats but wow, at 4cc, he was really inspiring. I wouldn't worry too much about Ross. He has had a pretty consistent season all along and this could just be a setback for him to kick again.

vCash
    The placements for US men at 4CCs were OK. I am most glad for Dornbush simply because it almost vindicates the USFS having faith in him and giving him opportunities season after season when he (almost) didn't deserve them.

However, IMO the results here for Aaron and Miner did not add to their chances for top ten for Worlds - when you add back in Chan and the bunch of Europeans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The placements for US men at 4CCs were OK. I am most glad for Dornbush simply because it almost vindicates the USFS having faith in him and giving him opportunities season after season when he (almost) didn't deserve them.

However, IMO the results here for Aaron and Miner did not add to their chances for top ten for Worlds - when you add back in Chan and the bunch of Europeans.
    IDK about Miner. It is indeed a blip to his steady improvement over the course of the season, but I guess we'll see if it is just that (or something else) on the World's stage when the time comes.

I'm one of the first to critique Max's skating, but he did nail 3 quads in his 1st high-pressure competition, traveling all the way to Japan just 2 weeks after Nationals. I think he'll be OK for Worlds and finish in the top 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    IDK about Miner. It is indeed a blip to his steady improvement over the course of the season, but I guess we'll see if it is just that (or something else) on the World's stage when the time comes.

I'm one of the first to critique Max's skating, but he did nail 3 quads in his 1st high-pressure competition, traveling all the way to Japan just 2 weeks after Nationals. I think he'll be OK for Worlds and finish in the top 10
    My jaw just dropped when I saw that he didn't have seasons best scores on wedgie data in 4cc result page. And then th way he showed himself there was just remarkable.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here were the quotes provided to the media after the Four Continents Men's FS:

Max Aaron (FS: SB 162.19 points, SP: SB 72.46 points, 4th place):
    This is my first time at a championship event and I’m glad to be here. The fans were great, they really got me going. They get excited and cheer for everything in the program. It’s amazing. This is a good experience to get the chance to learn how championship events work at the senior level. It’s something special I can take toward worlds.

I’m proud of how I represented myself and the U.S. today. There were little bobbles at the end of the performance but I’m happy.

(on other quads) I can do a quad toe. It’s something we are dabbling with for next season, putting it in one of my programs. I know that the top men at the Olympics will be doing three or four quads in a program. If I want to be up there with, I need to do that. I also need to add more components, fasters spins.

(on goal for Worlds) The goal is to get three spots (in the Olympics) for the U.S. That’s what we are going there for. On a personal note, I want to put out two good performances there and prove to myself I can be up there with the top men in the world today.
    Richard Dornbush (FS: SB 151.01 points, SP: SB 83.01 points, 5th place):
    I was happy with it. I didn’t fall at all, which is always a plus. There were a few mistakes there that really dragged down my score but I’m happy overall.

(on being in third after SP) There’s always a certain amount of pressure whether you skate in the first or the last warm up. They both have their pros and cons. I think I handled myself well and I was able to get a decent program after a not-so-decent warm up.

(on the offseason/next season) I want to regroup and plan for the next season. My main goals are going to be to stay healthy and train as hard as I can the whole way through.
    Ross Miner (FS: 140.35 points, SP: SB 74.01 points, 9th place):
    I’m disappointed in myself. That’s not the way I train. It’s been a long couple of weeks since the U.S. Championships. I’m excited to get home and have a few days to mentally recuperate and get ready for the world championships.

I didn’t do what I came here to do or skate the programs the way I have been training at home. It will put some fire in my belly to really improve and get rid of the errors that aren’t indicative of what I can do.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-12-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: To add article link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Dornbush would have medalled if he did his 3 jump combo.

vCash
    Yep, his 3a/2/2 combo, if landed cleanly, typically gets him about 13-14 points. I wish he could have medalled but I'm glad he got the opportunity to increase his season best score and end his season on a better note.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    And Aaron would have won the bronze had he been cleaner on his last 3 jumping passes.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    And Aaron would have won the bronze had he been cleaner on his last 3 jumping passes.
    Yes, 3-5 were so close!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Vegas View Post
    Yep, his 3a/2/2 combo, if landed cleanly, typically gets him about 13-14 points. I wish he could have medalled but I'm glad he got the opportunity to increase his season best score and end his season on a better note.
    Not even that, if he had done the 2toe2loop after the 1axel, it would already have been enough.

vCash
    I think Aaron has done pretty well for his first major outing. He came from far behind to end up fourth overall. He only recently took up firgure skating (after his injuries prevented him from competing in hockey). Kudos to him. He has much to learn and unlearn (hockey skating techniques which are suitable for figure skating).
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I think Aaron has done pretty well for his first major outing. He came from far behind to end up fourth overall. He only recently took up firgure skating (after his injuries prevented him from competing in hockey).
    Max Aaron has been competing in figure skating for over 10 years, though he started in hockey first - from his Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101022&mode=I
    "Started hockey skating at the age of 4 and figure skating at the age of 9 after seeing how much fun his sisters had skating ... Sisters Molly and Madeline are both pairs skaters ... Played elite hockey for 14 years ... Suffered a fractured back four years ago and was off the ice for a year."
    (His back injury was during the 2008-09 season but he still competed at Midwestern Sectionals in Nov. 2008, finishing 8th in Junior Men.)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Unfortunately Brandon Mroz has withdrawn from next week's Challenge Cup in The Hague, due to injury I heard.

Alex Johnson tweeted on Feb. 14th "It's been a long 3.5 years...but totally worth it! #perseverance #teamusa #challengecup2013" - photo of his new Team USA jacket: http://instagram.com/p/VupYtmkCVh/

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Sylvia.

What are the requirements skaters must meet in order to receive a team jacket?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    What are the requirements skaters must meet in order to receive a team jacket?
    To be assigned by USFS to an international competition (Senior, Junior or Novice).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Unfortunately Brandon Mroz has withdrawn from next week's Challenge Cup in The Hague, due to injury I heard.

Alex Johnson tweeted on Feb. 14th "It's been a long 3.5 years...but totally worth it! #perseverance #teamusa #challengecup2013" - photo of his new Team USA jacket: http://instagram.com/p/VupYtmkCVh/

so this means Alex M. Johnson is competing next week? I didn't know that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    so this means Alex M. Johnson is competing next week? I didn't know that!
    Yes! Hope he does well.

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast