Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Did Armin finish out of the top 10? How about Keegan ?

It'll be interesting to see how the international judges will score Aaron. Outside of the jumps there weren't much going on in his LP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Did Armin finish out of the top 10? How about Keegan ?
    Final results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...002SEG004.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how the international judges will score Aaron. Outside of the jumps there weren't much going on in his LP.
    Really? Although I agree he didn't have much 'artistry' (watching Jeremy's long program is like watching a ballet. Watching Max, I felt like I was watching great, athletic skating), I thought he had some good program components- I thought he demonstrated amazing speed, great sureness and flow, to me he had great projection and decent character, he had very good ice coverage. I'd like to see more in the way of transitions, but otherwise, PCS is not really the same as artistry.

I know he is going to get killed at World's, he has basically no international experience, and that clearly matters. That said, the new scoring system does allow for a 'no one' to win if they really kill it and the judges judge what is out on the ice that day. Aaron said it himself when he was asked if he was worried about skating first in the short: judges don't have to hold places for the later skaters anymore, they judge what the skaters put out there. So I at least think he has a better chance of doing well at Worlds under this system than the old one, but being a 'nobody' is a scary thing in figure skating. (At least, training with Chan, he has a realistic view of what Worlds is going to be like.)

vCash
    I'm hoping that Abbott is declining 4CC becuase he knows he'll be too busy looking for a new coach.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I know he is going to get killed at World's, he has basically no international experience, and that clearly matters. That said, the new scoring system does allow for a 'no one' to win if they really kill it and the judges judge what is out on the ice that day. Aaron said it himself when he was asked if he was worried about skating first in the short: judges don't have to hold places for the later skaters anymore, they judge what the skaters put out there. So I at least think he has a better chance of doing well at Worlds under this system than the old one, but being a 'nobody' is a scary thing in figure skating. (At least, training with Chan, he has a realistic view of what Worlds is going to be like.)
    I don't think Aaron is going to be perceived as a nobody. He's the U.S. national champion, so that will carry some weight. And it's not like he's never been to an international event before. He won the Senior B hosted in the U.S. this year and came in second at the Senior B in Nice. He was also 5th at Junior Worlds in 2011, so it's not like he just dropped out of the sky. No, he doesn't have a lot of experience at the senior level, but he's not coming with a complete blank slate either.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Winning a senior B is definetly a good thing, but he hasn't even been to a Grand Prix. He's going to really have to skate lights out at Worlds (and clearly, he is capable of it)- I don't think judges are going to do him any favors.

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Well, he's going to 4CC's, so he'll have a chance to establish some rep there.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    Max's skating reminds me a bit of the combination of Elvis and Yag's skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    My God, I just came from the Canadian Mens thread at their Nationals and was literally blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Reynolds landed 3 quads in the FS, made it look like child's play, as well as a 3axel in combo. Not to mention Patrick Chan landed 2 quads in the FS.

Now how about the American Men!?! What have they got in store for us all next week? The Canadian men have laid down the gauntlet. Here's hoping the American Men rise to the occasion and do *not* choke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0KZrabhlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdoAqO2X66E
    So our Canadian cousins have their very own 'Quad King'.

vCash
    Icenetwork article on jeremy:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

I swear I read a few people on FSU saying this after a send off show (about the flying upright), and others dismissing it as "maybe it was for the exhibition" (yep, this thread on the 13th). Glad he found out! So who was it from the board who told him after practice??? The way he says how he found out is very
    This is so strange to me. Aren't coaches/choreographers supposed to be up on which skills do or do/don't count or even are legal/illegal in their sport? I should think that as a skater matures perhaps they too should also try to make themselves familiar with something so crucial to their results as many athletes do in their respective sport/s. I would anyway.

vCash
    I followed Aaron's career all last year & watched his progression. He is not likely to fold under pressure internationally like Abbott has done & will continue to do the US proud, IMO. I tho't he could medal but must admit I expected Ross to win the Gold. I'm still floating on air because of the results. We have a lot of promising talent coming up behind these 2 & its exciting to watch as it unfolds.

vCash
    More like Kevin Van Der Perren to me.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Article on Max Aaron's big win yesterday: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Pre-Nationals article - Road to Omaha: Aaron will leave nothing on table

ETA link to this Arizona article (Aaron's home state): http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...mpionship.html
    Excerpt:
    Aaron wouldn’t have been there [at nationals] either if he’d gone through with plans to quit skating and enroll in the business school at Arizona State after finishing eighth at 2012 nationals. His parents still live in Scottsdale.

“I took a step back, did a couple of shows over the spring and decided I still wanted to compete,” Aaron said. “I wanted to show how I train and that anything’s possible.”

Aaron’s finish is the highest ever by an Arizona senior level skater at nationals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-28-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: To add AZ article link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    So our Canadian cousins have their very own 'Quad King'.
    Kevin Reynolds is about as boring a skater as Tim Goebel.

vCash
    I think if Max got a new choreographer he'd be fine. I'm not a huge fan of Pasquale's work for singles skaters, it seems like a lot of his programs are pretty empty, I've certainly noticed this with the programs he's choreographed for Czisny, Verner, Brezina, Gold, etc. over the past few years - nice moments in there but largely empty and often times the music choices seem somewhat random. I think with Wilson or Dickson programs his skating could seem more complete and less connect-the-jumps. He has a lot of good qualities, his current programs just don't really show them off apart from the jumps.

I feel the same way about Josh Farris. It's cool that he likes to help with the choreography of his programs, and while Damon Allen is obviously a great coach for him, I think given his recent successes and plans to jump to the senior level internationally next season, it's time for him to get a big boy choreographer that can really show his skating off and prove he's more than just the "wide eyed teenager" with "complete, well-rounded skating and nice jumps". I think he has loads of potential and the ability to be a stunning artistic skater, he just needs someone, I'm thinking Wilson or Dickson, though I know he's worked with Mills in the past who could also be a good choice, to really draw it out of him. While I personally don't find him boring, I see why others do, and he has moments that show he really is capable of a lot more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    This is so strange to me. Aren't coaches/choreographers supposed to be up on which skills do or do/don't count or even are legal/illegal in their sport? I should think that as a skater matures perhaps they too should also try to make themselves familiar with something so crucial to their results as many athletes do in their respective sport/s. I would anyway.
    USFS now makes changes to the rules continuously, I've talked to my ice dance coach about this as he's a national competitor. The changes can come out of the blue and you may not have the time to make the change before competition. Trust me, skaters and coaches do the best to keep up, but it isn't easy these days.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Really? Although I agree he didn't have much 'artistry' (watching Jeremy's long program is like watching a ballet. Watching Max, I felt like I was watching great, athletic skating), I thought he had some good program components- I thought he demonstrated amazing speed, great sureness and flow, to me he had great projection and decent character, he had very good ice coverage. I'd like to see more in the way of transitions, but otherwise, PCS is not really the same as artistry.

... he has basically no international experience, and that clearly matters. That said, the new scoring system does allow for a 'no one' to win if they really kill it and the judges judge what is out on the ice that day. Aaron said it himself when he was asked if he was worried about skating first in the short: judges don't have to hold places for the later skaters anymore, they judge what the skaters put out there. So I at least think he has a better chance of doing well at Worlds under this system than the old one, but being a 'nobody' is a scary thing in figure skating. (At least, training with Chan, he has a realistic view of what Worlds is going to be like.)
    ^^ THIS!

vCash
    I think the main problem is that no way is any judge at Worlds going to give him a 9 for PCS. I hate Nationals inflation for that reason; it creates an unrealistic expectation for the skater and their coach/es. I'm sure Aaron understands the concept of Nats inflation, and I hope he skates at Worlds like he did here - because that was fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    USFS now makes changes to the rules continuously, I've talked to my ice dance coach about this as he's a national competitor. The changes can come out of the blue and you may not have the time to make the change before competition. Trust me, skaters and coaches do the best to keep up, but it isn't easy these days.
    It was an ISU rule, not a USFS one and it had been in effect the entire season. The problem is, he changed the spin after all the Grand Prixs. If he had that spin in his program during the summer comps, it would have been caught- as that is when callers and IJS experts go over the elite skaters programs with a fine tooth comb.

vCash
    glad they tried in competition and even ur, hopefully they will keep trying and putting quad in competition unlike
    evan who didn't-jeremy took it out now try to put back in.
    you have to keep quad in competition to be successful .

Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast