Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    It may come down to who is least injured , or at least who does best with what injuries they have.
    So true but sad I think this season, I'm learning more than ever how dangerous figure skating is.

vCash
    I am done rooting for Abbott. He is still the best US male skater since Savoie, but he is just never going to be competitive / consistent. He definitely has it in him to win Nationals and maybe even medal at Worlds, but really, he has missed too many chances to be taken seriously.

I still really enjoy his skating and programs, but I guess he is never really meant to be a fierce competitor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    1st - 2009 Grand Prix Final
    5th - 2010 Worlds
    3rd - 2007 FCC
    3rd - 2011 FCC

I could only dream of laying those kinds of eggs... :sigh:
    You always fail to disappoint, PeterG. Not wanting to morph into a chicken or ostrich are you?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Abbott is all about a line from The Joy Luck Club - 'never expect, just hope'

vCash
    USFS tweeted re. Ross Miner's pre-Nationals media teleconference call today:
    "Preparations have been going really well"
    "We are a great skating nation. If you can make the World Team, that's a great accomplishment"
    Will keep the quad in both programs
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I thought is was so cool from the point of view of choreography and music! Gorgeous. But yah, if Jeremy cannot do it, there is no point. I appreciate the thought though.
    Count me in as another one who thought the 3A's back to back was really cool, especially if Jeremy executed they way we know he can.

Jeremy really needs to concentrate on being clean at Nationals and Worlds. To me, the inconsistency in his quad is not his biggest problem (or should even be his main focus) at this point. It's all the other little silly mistakes with easier triples that really add up. He may not be in the Top 3 without a quad, but he could be in the top 5 easily (depending on the competition that day) with a decent quad attempt and fall and an otherwise clean program.

vCash
    What does everyone think about the chances of Evan competing at Nationals? I haven't read anything that indicates he isn't going to be there. It would sure make the event more exciting.

vCash
    I keep forgetting about Evan's possible return. Guess that says it all for me.

vCash
    If he were a "sure thing" (i.e., definitely going, not iffy) it would be banner headlines. Anything to boost interest and sell tickets would be out there, big-time. Personally, I think the chances are slim that we'll see him at Nationals. The question is whether he is really improved enough, physically to be able to skate at World's. If so, we'll see rumors floating about a "bye" to Worlds--if that's possible considering his extended absence from competition. We'll know in a couple of weeks, if not before.

vCash
    It would add to the intrigue if Evan does turn up at the 11th hour, but I think even without Evan, U.S. Nationals is definitely going to be exciting in all disciplines. And if Johnny Weir at his peak were going to be there, it would be even more exciting. Alas, the Johnny and Evan bust-ups are probably a thing of the past. The up-and-coming guys and the veteran Abbott, will go to battle and there will be no lack of excitement, IMHO. I just wish Johnny was going to be commentating again, but that is unlikely to happen this year. Maybe he will make an appearance during the backstage interviews.

vCash
    Jeremy skated an excellent short program at the DSC send-off show. The streaming link finally became operational for the last group (but no audio). JA has some new spins--I think he took out the back camel that seems to give him fits. All jumps were fine. His triple axel was almost TOO high but he had a good landing.

I am with dinakt and others in loving the back to back triple axels on the musical phrase in Jeremy's long. I want to see Jeremy win everything but it's almost irrelevant at this point--clean programs with heart will do me just fine. He's one of the best ever, in my 45 years of watching skating.

vCash
    Thanks for all the latest info. on Jeremy, much much appreciated by me.

Can't wait to see the new spins!

Wishing him all the best at Nationals, and Worlds if he makes it.

ps: and I agree with your last sentence, except *for me* he's the best I've ever seen from America.

Title-less
    vCash
    I'm very relieved Jeremy skated well here. For some reason, the years he did well at his send off shows he also did well at nationals. (Keeping fingers crossed for him)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvilledancer View Post
    Jeremy skated an excellent short program at the DSC send-off show.
    Here's Abbott's SP (filmed from stands): http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ty0-V2VkxBw
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Good program, wish he'd take out that wretched upright spin. But otherwise, good.

vCash
    I thought the change foot solo spin must be camel or sit, no?

vCash
    Was Abbott's upright spin his combo spin? ETA: Or he included in just for this exhibition performance.

vCash
    New Abbott article that includes quotes from Yuka Sato: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New Abbott article that includes quotes from Yuka Sato: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Oh Jeremy...

He's an amazing skater, but he will never be one of the great champions. He just don't have the mental toughness. It must be tough for Yuka, but she seems very diplomatic about Jeremy and his limits.

vCash
    I'm glad Jeremy is ditching the back to back 3As. It's a nice idea, but a lot to ask of any skater, especially in the second half of a freeskate.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast