Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I just think Jason would be wasting his time in Juniors for yet another year. He's now almost 19. Time to see how he stacks up against the big boys.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I've posted a link to the audio file of Max Aaron's pre-Worlds media teleconference call (worth a listen!), along with a summary, in his articles thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3854745
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I just think Jason would be wasting his time in Juniors for yet another year. He's now almost 19. Time to see how he stacks up against the big boys.
    If Jason competes in JGP next year, he would get two JGP assignments, and have a 99% chance of qualifying for the JGP final. If Jason competes in the GP, he will most likely only get one GP assignment, plus one Senior B.

The JGP option would give him more opportunities to compete internationally. Even if Jason competes JGP, he could still place well enough at nationals to make the Olympic team.

IMO, if Team USA has only two Olympic spots, then Jason will be best served to stay in the JGP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Jason will turn 19 on Dec. 15, 2013 according to his USAF bio. I prefer to say "he just turned 18" myself.

vCash
    One reason I'd like to see Jason as a Senior next year is that there seems to be a certain PCS limit on Junior skaters; as one of Jason's main stregths is his second mark, it'll take a bit of exposure for his PCS to match what he puts on ice. But I'm sure his team will make the best decision.

Aaron, Farris, Brown, Johnson all in Colorado Springs. That will be intense.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Jason won't be training at the World Arena exclusively I don't think though. Doesn't he plan on attending Colorado College and training at their ice rink closer to Denver for part of the time as well? And none of those guys have the same coaches I don't think - Aaron is with Tom Z, Farris with Krall and Allen, Johnson with Dickson, and Brown is staying with Ade. So while being training mates is bound to be an interesting experience for them all, it's not as if they all train under the same coach or coaches.

vCash
    Considering Gold got two GP assignments, and one was not Skate America, after winning silver at JW and having a JGP gold as the only other international assignment on her resume, wouldn't it be likely for Farris and Brown to get two senior GP assignments next season? Max and Ross will each get 2 if they place in the top 12 at Worlds which is likely, and Abbott is likely to get 2, but after that, you would think Josh and Jason would have as good a shot as Dornbush to get 2 events and a better shot than Rippon who is not even on the top 24 SB list and Mahbanoozadeh who isn't either and doesn't have a great WS. Johnson can only be considered for Skate America because he doesn't have an ISU SB, and Farris finished ahead of him at Nationals so if it came down to picking between them you'd think Farris would be ahead in line. Josh and Jason both have pretty decent world rankings and should stay in the top 24 SB list so 2 assignments seems likely, usually the JWC gets two GPs when they move up to seniors, and silver medalists too (Zawadzki in 10-11, Gold this season). Idk. Would one or both of them going to WTT help their chances for GP selection?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Jason won't be training at the World Arena exclusively I don't think though. Doesn't he plan on attending Colorado College and training at their ice rink closer to Denver for part of the time as well? And none of those guys have the same coaches I don't think - Aaron is with Tom Z, Farris with Krall and Allen, Johnson with Dickson, and Brown is staying with Ade. So while being training mates is bound to be an interesting experience for them all, it's not as if they all train under the same coach or coaches.
    Interesting. Thanks, I did not know about Colorado College and different rinks.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Jason Brown hasn't said anything publicly about his college plans, AFAIK. Here was a post from the Jason/Joshua Uber thread in the Trash Can speculating about the possibility that he could take classes at Colorado College in Colorado Springs (Honnen Ice Arena is the rink on campus):
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Since the [Dec. 2012] article says he's splitting his training between the World Arena and Colorado College (which I did not know had an arena), I assume he's going to take classes at CC. It is a very fine liberal arts college in the north part of downtown Colorado Springs (the World Arena is at the southern edge of the city). The particularly cool thing for Jason is that they follow a block schedule, where students take only one course at a time (one course per block) and 4 blocks per semester; about 3 1/2 weeks per block. So, he could presumably skip the block (or schedule carefully the course) for Nationals or for Worlds.
    Re-posting the link to the Dec. 2012 article mentioned above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    This new Jason Brown article includes his goals for 2013 Nationals & beyond, and reveals a planned relocation to Colorado Springs with his coach in March 2013: http://www.icetalentinc.com/2012/12/...changes-ahead/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-05-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: To add the Colorado College's rink name
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Considering Gold got two GP assignments, and one was not Skate America, after winning silver at JW and having a JGP gold as the only other international assignment on her resume, wouldn't it be likely for Farris and Brown to get two senior GP assignments next season?
    Gold had a third international assignment last season, and it was a Senior-level one at that: the World Team Trophy.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I thought it was on the NBC broadcast or perhaps on IN commentary where I heard that Jason wanted to start college part time in the fall? I assumed part of the reason they were talking about him moving to Colorado in March/April was because he wanted to get residency.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Colorado College is a private liberal arts college; residency doesn't affect tuition. If he's instead going to go to Pikes Peak CC or CU Colorado Springs (both public colleges) I think that there is stil a deal in place related to the USOC training center -- if he's designated the right way -- that gets him in-state tuition or close to it.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    One reason I'd like to see Jason as a Senior next year is that there seems to be a certain PCS limit on Junior skaters; as one of Jason's main stregths is his second mark, it'll take a bit of exposure for his PCS to match what he puts on ice.
    There's also a TES limit considering there's one fewer element (I think?). There's also less scoring inflation that helps jr skaters get into top season's best.
    Last edited by jlai; 03-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.

vCash
    Considering Gold got two GP assignments, and one was not Skate America, after winning silver at JW and having a JGP gold as the only other international assignment on her resume, wouldn't it be likely for Farris and Brown to get two senior GP assignments next season?
    Gold had a third international assignment last season, and it was a Senior-level one at that: the World Team Trophy

Gold also benefited from Kostner deciding to skip the GP and Czisny opting for only one GP assignment. That opened up three GP spots that would have otherwise been filled.

vCash
    Are their names Josh GOLD and Jason GOLD? I don't think so! #catchylastnamesftw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Are their names Josh GOLD and Jason GOLD? I don't think so! #catchylastnamesftw
    True. However, USFS seems to love Jason about as much as they love Gracie. As for Josh, perhaps he is not a favorite, but he's the one with the nationals pewter and junior world title to his credit so you think that would give him some street cred.

vCash
    ^^ How come you think Josh is not as much or more a favorite than Jason? How can you determine this either way?

vCash
    Scoring at Nationals has always been in Jason's favor, he always gets a big PCS boost from international scores regardless of if he makes mistakes. Josh did well at US Nats this year because he skated really well, but the year before, when he made mistakes, he got really harsh treatment from the judges, getting PCS scores at senior nationals below what he was getting at junior internationals. Also Joshua has always had a technical edge on Jason ever since they were little but they still flip flopped results on podiums, like in junior when Jason won the title, he had no 3a and Joshua did but Jason still won the title, and this was when they were about 14-15 so artistry didn't factor into the equation at much. Finally, after last season Josh really was ready to be competing on the GP after winning JW silver and having gotten his 3a very consistent, and I think he wanted to move up but USFS talked him and his coaches out of it, likely to help skaters like Rippon, Dornbush, and Miner each get 2 GPs. Going on the JGP another season ended up working out for him in the end but I still think the fed had something to do with making that decision and it was not what Josh and his team necessarily had wanted at the end of last season. Anyways, now that he's skating so well and getting such good results, I think they will support him more, to me it just seems as though USFS wants Josh to wait his turn and won't really promote as a contender until after Sochi, whereas with Jason they have always been willing to promote him as one of the stars and he just needed to get the jumps to really be one, so now that he's got the 3a, I think they might put energy into promoting him like they did with Gracie.

vCash
    Scoring at Nationals has always been in Jason's favor, he always gets a big PCS boost from international scores regardless of if he makes mistakes. Josh did well at US Nats this year because he skated really well, but the year before, when he made mistakes, he got really harsh treatment from the judges, getting PCS scores at senior nationals below what he was getting at junior internationals.
    So you mean the judges scored him lower when he didn't skate as well as he had before? Just shocking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    So you mean the judges scored him lower when he didn't skate as well as he had before? Just shocking.
    I said on PCS. Other skaters take a TES hit when they make mistakes but the PCS remain unchanged. Jason got PCS of 75 for his FS at Nationals in 2012 which had THREE FALLS, Josh has two falls and got PCS of 65. At the JGPF 2 weeks earlier, Jason had a clean FS and Josh had a FS with a fall and a few other mistakes and they both got PCS of 69. TES will take a hit when any skater makes mistakes, which is what happened with Jason at Nationals in 2012, but he still received considerable inflation in PCS compared to international marks despite the mistakes, while Josh actually got PCS deflation at Nationals compared to his international marks after delivering a comparable program to the one he had at the JGPF.

This is the same issue with Zawadzki and Gold vs. Gao at Nationals, it's not necessary to rehash and its an issue that always seems to exist for some skaters but not others for whatever reason. The point I was trying to make is that it seems like the USFS have always been big supporters/fans of Jason Brown, and due to this, I don't think they will try and convince him to compete on the JGP another season if he says he wants to compete on the senior GP given his results this season and their opinion and general treatment of him as a skater.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast