Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia for the link to the interview with Armin. I really enjoyed reading it!

vCash
    You're welcome! Here's a pre-Nationals interview with Grant Hochstein in which he discusses his move out to California, improving consistency on the 3A and practicing the 4T this past fall: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/...-new-team.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    You're welcome! Here's a pre-Nationals interview with Grant Hochstein in which he discusses his move out to California, improving consistency on the 3A and practicing the 4T this past fall: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/...-new-team.html
    Thank you Sylvia! I can always count on you to provide interesting information on lots of skaters.

Nationals should be very interesting.... lots of talented skaters working very hard to be the very best that they can be.

vCash
    You're welcome, SkateFan66! That's one of the reasons I started this general news thread for the U.S. Men in GSD -- so I could post articles on some of the unheralded or lesser-known but still talented guys.

Since the Junior Men's competition is over, I will post this article about 12-year-old Vincent Zhou's big win last night: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Zhou has won 3 consecutive National titles (Intermediate in 2011, Novice in 2012 and now Junior this year) but will not be old enough for the JGP until the fall of 2014! The new U.S. Novice men's champ, Tomoki Hiwatashi, 13, is older than the Junior men's champ!

One more men's preview article - Ross Miner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I really like Ross Miner this year. Tom Dickson's choreography has given him a much better look. He really sold the FS at his GPs and I was impressed. Go Ross!

vCash
    Icenetwork article on jeremy:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

"I found out today that one of my spins doesn't count; it's a level zero," Abbott said. "We have to change the spins in both of my programs, because it was the same [in both]."
    I swear I read a few people on FSU saying this after a send off show (about the flying upright), and others dismissing it as "maybe it was for the exhibition" (yep, this thread on the 13th). Glad he found out! So who was it from the board who told him after practice??? The way he says how he found out is very

vCash
    Wow, that's kind of an incredible (but true) story. maybe one of the callers spoke up at practice?

vCash
    And now we know which top U.S. skater doesn't read posts about himself on FSU.

vCash
    See, I feel like if it was a caller, he would have said "an official pointed out to me after practice that my spin didn't count". Instead he talks about how grateful he is someone mentioned it. That just sounds like a weird way of putting it if it wasn't some FSU fan, who found his team and was all "um, so you know you're getting no points on that spin, right?"

Although it probably was someone from USFS... I'm going to keep pretending.

What would be really interesting is if it was another coach. You have to wonder what coaches would do in that position- they notice another skater is about to screw themselves, do you say something, or do you see your skater getting an advantage?

vCash
    It doesn't make Yuka and Jason look very good from a coaching standpoint to have missed something big like that. As top level coaches, they should be keeping up with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Icenetwork article on jeremy:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

I swear I read a few people on FSU saying this after a send off show (about the flying upright), and others dismissing it as "maybe it was for the exhibition" (yep, this thread on the 13th). Glad he found out! So who was it from the board who told him after practice??? The way he says how he found out is very
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyskater View Post
    It doesn't make Yuka and Jason look very good from a coaching standpoint to have missed something big like that. As top level coaches, they should be keeping up with this.
    My thoughts exactly.

I really hope the last minute change doesn't throw him off.

vCash
    So he hasn't been doing that spin all year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    So he hasn't been doing that spin all year?
    No, the article said he was getting low levels on a spin so they changed it to one he was better at. It would have been valid last year, so clearly they were looking at old rules.

vCash
    USFS' press release is out - Men's assignments:

2013 World Championships
    Max Aaron - 2013 US Champ!
    Ross Miner (Silver medalist)

Alternate 1 - Jeremy Abbott (Bronze medalist)
    Alternate 2 - Adam Rippon
    Alternate 3 - Joshua Farris

2013 Four Continents Championships
    Max Aaron
    Ross Miner
    Adam Rippon (5th)

Alternate 1 - Richard Dornbush (6th)
    Alternate 2 - Brandon Mroz (9th)
    Alternate 3 - Stephen Carriere (10th)

2013 World Junior Championships
    Jason Brown (8th)
    Joshua Farris (4th & Pewter medalist)
    Shotaro Omori (Jr. Silver medalist)

Alternate 1 - Harrison Choate (17th in Sr.)
    Alternate 2 - Jay Yostanto (6th in Jr.)

vCash
    Is Vincent Zhou the Jr champion not age-eligible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Is Vincent Zhou the Jr champion not age-eligible?
    No, he just turned 12 this past October!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, he just turned 12 this past October!

I see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I think it would be problematic for Johnny to commentate if he is still serious about competing next year.
    Why does Johnny need to come back as a competitor? We already have Jeremy to provide the pout-face.

Title-less
    vCash
    Max Aaron the national champ. wow. I thought he could get silver last year, but no, this is better.

That said, most of the next great things who medalled at their first or second nationals in recent years haven't yet made it back to top 3 or created the splash like expected, except Miner who repeated his podium finish with 2 bronzes and 1 silver. Carriere, Mroz, Dornbush, Rippon--each was considered the next great star at one point (and can still be one, but not yet). I hope Max isn't a one world or one medal wonder.

BUt the field is too evenly matched and until someone very very great comes along, this podium finish swapping will continue, I think.

Miner really has benefitted from being the bronze medalist two years in a row and stayed out of the limelight somewhat as a result (behind DOrnbush and then Adam who ended up taking the pressure)

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast