Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I found this link on IceNetwork to an archive of AT&T Ice Desk interviews, apparently from last fall. It looks like they've updated the Ice Desk to look like an ESPN breaking news set with anchors Tonia K and Sarah H. You have to be a subscriber to see this, but I found it entertaining. I've only looked at the Jason Brown telephone interview so far. I think it's great! There needs to be more widespread fs coverage throughout the year and beyond major events. Sounds like Sarah H has been taking voice lessons, and that's a good thing!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

ETA: Loved the telephone interview with Ryan B as well. He's so cool, and he just turned 30, wow!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-18-2013 at 04:43 AM.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Thanks Sylvia. The men's field is sure loaded with talent, especially with a couple of very talented juniors moving up this year and the returning veteran seniors. There is such a depth of talent. It will be hard to make top ten even. Perhaps top 15 might look something like this, but not necessarily in this order.

Abbott
    Miner
    Dornbush
    Farris
    Aaron
    Messing
    Armin
    Rippon
    Brown
    Razzano
    Carriere
    Mroz
    Choate
    Cassar
    Warren

Of course, Campbell, Hochstein, Johnson, Brewster, and Rabbitt are no slouches either. Indeed Johnson scored higher than Mroz at Sectionals so Johnson might make top 15 and Mroz might not. An exciting men's division, even without Evan and Johnny.
    Here's my prediction:

Abbott
    Miner
    Rippon
    Brown
    Farris
    Dornbush
    Aaron
    Armin
    Messing
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Carriere
    Mroz
    Choate
    Warren

JMHO. I think Brown is going to surprise everyone.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    ^^ I'd be happy with your prediction and with Brown "surprising" everyone. If Armin skates well, he probably would score higher than both Messing and Aaron. But I'd just like to see Dornbush place higher than you have him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Correct. Top 5 Seniors receive byes and Messing was 7th at 2012 Nationals.
    Thanks, but what about the fact that Dornbush placed 13th last year. Is it because Dornbush was selected to go to 4CCs and senior GP that he gets a bye this year despite placing below top 5 at Nats last year?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ If you click on the Nationals page of my blog, I explain all the byes to Nationals. Dornbush's GP in Russia conflicted with Sectionals.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Thanks, Sylvia. Well, I think Dornbush surely deserves the bye (but it seems so does at least Messing and Carriere ). Ricky has accomplished significant wins as a junior and he's skated very well internationally as a senior, despite his problems at Nationals last year. However, the bye system seems fairly flexible for top skaters. As surely the GP selection event date was known in advance to conflict with the Sectionals event Dornbush would have had to compete at. Anyway, its all good that Dornbush received the bye and I hope he does well at Nationals and regains his confidence.

vCash
    Well it's due or die time next week. Put up or shut up. They all have to lay it on the line. *chills, can't wait*

I wonder what history has in store for us all? She's always thrown us a loop when we least expect it...

Just hoping they all put on a SHOW worthy of Nationals.

Now off I go to listen to "Lose Yourself" once again in preparation for Nationals.

GOOOOOOOOOO AMERICAN MEN, KICK BOOTY AT NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    I think Hochstein could surprise. He didn't skate very well at sectionals, but he's got a 3A and a quad, judging from that recent practice video. Go Grant!

vCash
    ^^ ITA, sure. I had expected to see Grant do better at Eastern Sectionals, but he didn't skate that badly in any case. It's got to be hard to try and peak at the right time, but still skate well enough in qualifying events to make Nationals. I was sorry for Scott Dyer who had made Nationals the past two years, but he had a number of miscues in both his short and free programs, and with the talented Philip Warren moving up from juniors, men seniors at Pacific Coast Sectionals was a very deep field.

vCash
    IDK about Hochstein. We've been anticipating a solid 3x from him for 3 seasons now and he has yet to have a real break-out performance. Of course, it would be great to see him put it all together, but I'm not holding my breath.

vCash
    Go Dornbush. I like his style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Here's my prediction:

Abbott
    Miner
    Rippon
    Brown
    Farris
    Dornbush
    Aaron
    Armin
    Messing
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Carriere
    Mroz
    Choate
    Warren

Interesting thought about Brown. Any reason in particular? He did a 3A in the short at the GPF but not in the long, and I can't believe he has a quad.

Really like his skating, but your prediction seems awfully optimistic. Do you know something we don't? Have you talked with his coach or seen him skate recently?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I believe manleywoman sees Jason Brown skate fairly often? (even shares the ice with him)

An in-depth, not-just-about-skating interview with Armin Mahbanoozadeh (it took place at the end of Skate America in October 2012): http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...nmahbanoozadeh
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-20-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I am more than willing to accept your opinion!

But I hope Joshua Farris comes to the party as well. After all, Joshua and Jason have shared the podium at every single level at US Nationals, except for Juvenile...and Senior...

vCash
    My God, I just came from the Canadian Mens thread at their Nationals and was literally blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Reynolds landed 3 quads in the FS, made it look like child's play, as well as a 3axel in combo. Not to mention Patrick Chan landed 2 quads in the FS.

Now how about the American Men!?! What have they got in store for us all next week? The Canadian men have laid down the gauntlet. Here's hoping the American Men rise to the occasion and do *not* choke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0KZrabhlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdoAqO2X66E

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookslut View Post
    Interesting thought about Brown. Any reason in particular? He did a 3A in the short at the GPF but not in the long, and I can't believe he has a quad.

Really like his skating, but your prediction seems awfully optimistic. Do you know something we don't? Have you talked with his coach or seen him skate recently?
    He has no trouble with the 3A now ( very consistent). I watched him land his first clean quad toes just over two weeks ago. Lots of people cheering him on. This is still fairly new though and I doubt you will see it at Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by insideedgeua View Post
    He has no trouble with the 3A now ( very consistent). I watched him land his first clean quad toes just over two weeks ago. Lots of people cheering him on. This is still fairly new though and I doubt you will see it at Nationals.

vCash
    Here's my prediction:

Abbott
    Miner
    Rippon
    Brown
    Farris
    Dornbush
    Aaron
    Armin
    Messing
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Carriere
    Mroz
    Choate
    Warren

Brown historically skates well at Nationals, but he'll need his 3a this year to do that most likely. I have no doubt it's really nice in practice, but sometimes it takes a while for a jump to get competition ready. I also hate his SP, though his FS is lovely. Also I'll be surprised if Rippon ends up that high, it seems the 3a is still a problem and he's abandoned his quad attempts thus far this season (not like they were ever very close last season anyways though), I think if they all skate to their abilities, Aaron, Messing, Farris, and Mahbanoozadeh will all finish ahead of Rippon, and maybe Brown too. I also think Dornbush will finish pretty high so long as he doesn't implode. I don't think he'll be perfect, but if he keeps it together well enough I expect he'd at least finish in the top 6.

My prediction:

Miner
    Abbott
    Aaron
    Dornbush
    Farris
    Messing
    Mahbanoozadeh
    Brown
    Rippon
    Carriere
    Johnson
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Warren
    Hochstein
    Mroz
    Choate
    Brewster
    Rabbit

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ Rabbitt is the correct spelling and you forgot Wesley Campbell.

Pre-Nationals article titled "Aaron will leave nothing on table": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ^^^ Rabbitt is the correct spelling and you forgot Wesley Campbell.

Pre-Nationals article titled "Aaron will leave nothing on table": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks, Sylvia. I'm very encouraged that Max realizes he needs to focus on his PCS.

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast