Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Finally got a chance to look at the Midwestern Sectionals video... Alexander Johnson has quietly become a beautiful skater to watch. Reminded me of Matt Savoie (which makes sense, since Savoie also did a lot of work with Tom Dickson, didn't he?).

vCash
    ^^ Yes, Matt's choreographer was Tom Dickson, and Kathy Johnson also did some dance training work with him, etc.; Linda Branan was Matt's primary coach and he always remained loyal to her.

ETA:
    Of course, Tom Dickson choreographed Ross Miner's fp this season, and Dickson's wife, Catarina Lindgren choreographed Ross's sp.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-29-2012 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    As I mentioned, Aaron's scores are from a regional competition and a senior B event. At a major senior international, Aaron's scores will automatically be much lower, I'd bet, simply due to the newbie factor, and added to that it is hard to be clean in a senior international debut, especially at Worlds. That's why the performances of both Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner at 2011 Worlds were outstanding, albeit largely unrewarded and unheralded. That's figure skating.
    And if he made it to worlds this season, he will have to skate very, very early in the short program and that will hurt his GOE and PCS. If US is shooting to have a 3rd spot in Sochi, every single point counts.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, Matt's choreographer was Tom Dickson, and Kathy Johnson also did some dance training work with him, etc.; Linda Branan was Matt's primary coach and he always remained loyal to her.

ETA:
    Of course, Tom Dickson choreographed Ross Miner's fp this season, and Dickson's wife, Catarina Lindgren choreographed Ross's sp.
    ... and it shows Ross to great advantage. I rewatched Miner's LP a few times, seeing more care to detail every time. Dickson is brilliant.
    SP can work quite well, too; but it requires more "skating into".
    Last edited by dinakt; 11-29-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    ^^ ITA!

Here's the link to the IN article which announced Ross' programs for this season. I enjoyed reading Dickson's comments about the process of working with Ross:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash

ETA:
    No wonder I thought of Matt when I saw Ross's FP. I kept telling myself, Ross skated a lot like Matt!

vCash
    ^^ ITA!

Here's the link to the IN article which announced Ross' programs for this season. I enjoyed reading Dickson's comments about the process of working with Ross:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thank you. It is an excellent article, and I missed it.
    LOL at Dickson calling Ross's loops "very Picasso"
    When I was a teen, Sabatini's "Captain Blood" was one of my favorite noves; I read it dozens of times, attracted, no doubt, by that juvenile swashbuckling Dickson wanted to avoid.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    ^^ Yes, the IN article had appeared so early in the summer, I'd nearly forgotten having read it before. I found Dickson's comments quite fascinating and enlightening about Ross being "incredibly powerful," and that they wanted to "take his power and shade it ... to soften his movement and make it more regal, so his power becomes his strength." The proof is in the pudding, as one of the BBC commentators said in a somewhat related context.

I've never read Captain Blood, but I can see how the title might be irresistible for a teenager. I have seen a few old Errol Flynn movies. Yes, there is something "regal" and "romantic" about Ross' free skate. I don't happen to see that close of a facial resemblance between him and Flynn (perhaps slightly). Moreso perhaps they share a similar kind of romantic adventurousness and joie de vivre, and now of course, starring roles as Captain Blood.

Here are links to compare their "resemblance":

http://www.inlikeflynn.com/flynn.html (scroll down for more Flynn photos when the site opens fully)

http://www.rossminer.net/

Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    No wonder I thought of Matt when I saw Ross's FP. I kept telling myself, Ross skated a lot like Matt!
    I don't really see too much similarity in Matt's and Ross' styles of skating. But yeah, a defining common denominator is Dickson's choreo, in that Dickson has a genius for seeing what skaters have to offer and helping them to bring out their best qualities on the ice.

ETA:

Ross' Luck Be A Lady exhibition at 0:20:31 in this youtube NHK Gala video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfCQD72ztI

Ross does a fine job with this Sinatra standard; he could play it up more but he's growing quite nicely into his on-ice style.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    Boston2014 website feature article on Ross Miner, by Sarah Brannen

http://www.boston2014.com/featured-skaters/ross-miner/

vCash
    Here's a nice quote by Christina Gao from her GPF preview article published on IceNetwork today:
    Gao was thrilled to see Miner hit a quadruple Salchow and win bronze in a tough field at the NHK Trophy.

"Ross is such a great training partner; he pushes me everyday," she said. "I've seen him do even better than he did at NHK. I'm so proud of him."
    Quotes by/updates from Joshua Farris and Jason Brown before the JGP Final are posted in their Uber thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3761593
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-05-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This is a funny Tweet Seat with Ross ... love his answers to fans' questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb56rclzS0

And cute from Armin "Mahbawoola"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJ9w...endscreen&NR=1

vCash
    Poor Armin. I wonder if he gets tired of having to correct his surname all the time.

vCash
    Ross did a great job improving his basic skating skills this past season. I always found him to be a good athlete and last season really showed continued follow through from his "wake up" step-up in training from a less than hoped for Grand Prix season in 2011. Agree that Tom Dickson created some nice programs for sure, but it takes a certain level of skating skills to deliver, and that to me is the most meaningful improvement.

vCash
    Christy Krall talks about Josh Farris and Kori Ade about Jason Brown in IceNetwork's JGP Final preview article - excerpts again posted in their Uber thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3762283
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm just hoping that whomever makes the World Team comes up with the magical number 13. It would be nice for another man to get the chance to skate at the Olympics, but all in all I'm not too bummed about it. I'm actually more concerned about the women making the number 13 than any other discipline (though it would've also been nice for the pairs, sigh).

vCash
    ^^ It was unlikely that 3 spots would have been gained by U.S. pairs even if Denney/ Coughlin were injury-free and not out of Nats and possibly Worlds next year. In the U.S. pairs thread, there is discussion re the fact that 2 U.S. pairs spots are still likely with 2 U.S. pairs assured of competing at Worlds. And, both Castelli/ Shnapir and Scimeca/ Knierim have had good to fair showings on the GP circuit, so they are competitive, but sure it would be Worlds debut for both teams if they place 1 and 2 at Nationals and are selected for Worlds.

Re U.S. men and ladies, fingers-crossed for a great showing at Worlds and bringing back 3 spots in both those disciplines! But first anticipating a competitive and exciting U.S. Nationals. On to GPF and JGPF this weekend.

vCash
    I think the men are much less likely to garner 3 spots than the ladies. Unless Evan shows up and is.. well.. himself, I don't see us getting three spots.

vCash
    Never say never ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    I think the men are much less likely to garner 3 spots than the ladies. Unless Evan shows up and is.. well.. himself, I don't see us getting three spots.
    I think the US men's chances for the magic no. 13 and 3 skaters in 2014 depend a lot on the Quad, as our best men have great competitive skills in almost every other area. Specifically, that would probably be who among Miner, Abbott or Dornbush goes to Worlds and lands it along with delivering their other elements, thus getting more competitive marks with the Japanese men and those others such as Brezina and Amodio. Those are the skaters the US men have to hang with to get close to that no. 13

vCash
    ^^ Yes, I think above all it is definitely going to depend on U.S. men going clean with the great programs they have, because Jeremy already is IMO the best in the world artistically, and certainly Ross and Richard have comparable skills to Brezina/ Amodio/ et al (and even to Kozuka and Fernandez,... IF Ross/ Richard and Jeremy successfully land quads).

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast