Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 951
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,935
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    According to the protocols at Rostelecom Cup, Ricky nails the 4T only to completely bail on the 3z-3t.

  2. #222

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Oh ye (all) of little faith!

    ETA: I think the U.S. guys are all setting individual goals to improve their international results/standings, but many of them have yet to execute under the pressure of Senior Grand Prix competition... but that's what early season competitions are for and about.

    Razzano won silver and Mahbanoozadeh bronze in Graz today (neither landed a quad in the FS but quads aren't everything ).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  3. #223

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43165
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think Abbott is in the top handful of men when it comes to using his edges and knees to gain and carry speed, and his lean over the edge is second to none.
    His lean over the edge (love the description, by the way) reminds me very much of Stephane Lambiel.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

  4. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Oh ye (all) of little faith!

    ETA: I think the U.S. guys are all setting individual goals to improve their international results/standings, but many of them have yet to execute under the pressure of Senior Grand Prix competition... but that's what early season competitions are for and about.

    Razzano won silver and Mahbanoozadeh bronze in Graz today (neither landed a quad in the FS but quads aren't everything ).
    Yes but what were their scores? I'm guessing low 200s. To get 3 spots at the Olympics we are going to need at least one guy capable of scoring 240+ and at present it seems like the only hopes of that are Jeremy and Ricky IF they skate clean with quads and that is a huge if...

    ETA yup 200 and 204. Not exactly encouraging scores, though maybe if they both had messy FS, it would make me feel a little better. Interesting how the US man with the highest ISU SB thus far in the season is 13 year old Nathan Chen

  5. #225

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    My post had nothing to do with/say about 3 spots to the Olympics.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    395
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Oh ye (all) of little faith!

    ETA: I think the U.S. guys are all setting individual goals to improve their international results/standings, but many of them have yet to execute under the pressure of Senior Grand Prix competition... but that's what early season competitions are for and about.

    Razzano won silver and Mahbanoozadeh bronze in Graz today (neither landed a quad in the FS but quads aren't everything).
    I agree it is counterproductive to be negative, but still, it is a tad disappointing that the two, who have both competed at previous competitions this season including Skate America, didn't do a bit better with non-quad elements. Certainly Liebers made his own mistakes, yet managed to do enough to gain a far higher FS score that either American.

  7. #227
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,769
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417
    The US men haven't had a promising newcomer to the GP to shake up the scene. The "new" US man this season is the returning Johnny; Evan hasn't come back; right now, there's no leader. The energy level among US men is bound to be a bit...languid. Perhaps Josh would skate well at US nationals and get sent to 4CC or something to boost the energy level.

    I wish USFS helped Josh get 2 gps, not just for Josh's sake. You need to promote new comers to inject new energy to your program, esp. when your top skaters have been the same people for a while.

    On the up side, thanks to several rejuvenated veterans and a newbie Gracie Gold, the energy level among US ladies has changed, and I'm getting excited about US ladies again.
    Last edited by jlai; 11-10-2012 at 02:21 AM.

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    The US men haven't had a promising newcomer to the GP to shake up the scene. The "new" US man this season is the returning Johnny; Evan hasn't come back; right now, there's no leader. The energy level among US men is bound to be a bit...languid. Perhaps Josh would skate well at US nationals and get sent to 4CC or something to boost the energy level.

    I wish USFS helped Josh get 2 gps, not just for Josh's sake. You need to promote new comers to inject new energy to your program, esp. when your top skaters have been the same people for a while.

    On the up side, thanks to several rejuvenated veterans and a newbie Gracie Gold, the energy level among US ladies has changed, and I'm getting excited about US ladies again.
    I agree. Josh I think could have gotten 2 GPs honestly, between the withdrawals and the fact that Adam, Ross, and Ricky all also only had one guarantee and managed to each get a 2nd. I also wish Messing and Aaron had been more seriously considered for a host spot, or that USFS spread the wealth out at competitions like 4CC more, that way skaters like Keegan and Max could manage to get an ISU SB score so that they could be considered for GPs. It's not that they aren't good enough and can't earn the scores to get them, it's that they haven't competed in events giving SB scores since aging out of juniors!

    I have high hopes for Josh. His JGP scores didn't seem that great when he earned them, but it's now November and those numbers are still among the highest any of the other guys have put up on the senior GP events, and with one less element too. Maybe if he can win the JGPF convincingly, a la Dornbush in 2010, USFS will start to take him more seriously and maybe send him to 4CC should he skate well at Nats and land on the podium (or even maybe like 5th or something). He could still do JW afterwards if he wanted to, as well. Kovtun will be steep competition at JGPF, but even if he doesn't hit there, maybe it will mean he'll finally skate well at Nats.

    Interested in seeing if anyone puts up exciting numbers at Sectionals this weekend.

    I think the frustrating thing with the US men is, there's no shortage of talent, quite the opposite actually, it just seems like the strongest guys at the moment are either inconsistent, have their age working against them physically, still competing on the JGP, or stuck on the senior B circuit due to limited GP and ISU championship spots.

    Anyways, not expecting much from Johnny, but I still really like Ricky and hope he can pull up lots in the FS and show his Finlandia FS was not a fluke!

  9. #229

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,280
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    I was totally surprised by Dornbush's performance. Everything was going nice, going great, I even kind of liked it and then whoops I just skated off a cliff. Which was a shame. Hope he has a better free skate tonight.

    As for Weir, well, uh...I liked the second part of the music? And he still has nice lines and flow.

  10. #230
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,358
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Who has been named to replace Johnny at TEB?

  11. #231
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,188
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    He withdrew a couple of days before the start, and the French Fed is not obligated to fill his spot. They could, but they haven't, at least yet.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  12. #232

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Here are the 12 Sectional qualifiers to 2013 Nationals (total scores included):

    Easterns 1-4: Stephen Carriere 204.92, Harrison Choate 190.84, Wesley Campbell 189.68, Grant Hochstein 186.48;
    Midwesterns 1-4: Max Aaron 233.58, Alexander Johnson 223.18, Brandon Mroz 200.32, William Brewster 171.13;
    Pacifics 1-4: Keegan Messing 201.98, Jonathan Cassar 183.00, Philip Warren 180.31, Sean Rabbitt 170.59.

    The top 3 Junior Men qualifying scores from Sectionals: 12-year-old Vincent Zhou 196.33, Nathan Chen 193.05 (he omitted 3A & 3Lz from his programs since he is still recovering from his injury), Jordan Moeller 188.70.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Max Aaaron's score is really high. And he's shown his 4s and 3a are really consistent. I hope he is seriously considered for Worlds if he skates well at Nats and not kept down in the standings due to politics and PCS inflation for favorites. We really need a guy who can hit the quads and 3as consistently, and most of those considered contenders for the World team have issues with at least one of those jumps if not both. If Max can score like he has been lately, he could be mid-lower top 10 at Worlds and then maybe we could get 3 spots if Abbott or Lysacek could deliver. I even wonder if Max could jump his way on or near the podium in Gatchinski or Brezina-like fashion...

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,392
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm a fan of Max's but I think if he can place in the top 5 at Nationals it will be a great step/jump forward for him. His style marks will hold him back IMO at 2013 Nat'ls.
    He's becoming the most consistent jumper among the US men & I'm excited for him. However, if either Dornbush or Miner can land just one quad in either their sp or lp at Nationals I think they'll place ahead of Aaron. And it goes without saying that if Abbott skates well he will too.

  15. #235
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At Pacifics, Messing hit a quad toe in his short program (which overall was pretty good), and then did triple axel combo, quad toe and triple lutz in the opening of his free skate, but messed up the landings on all of them (and the lutz was to be a triple-triple). While he "didn't want to make excuses, "he and his coach both acknowledged it was a really bad skate for him, but he he had just returned from Nice about a week ago (where he won with a score about, I think, 15-20 points higher -- which would make sense, because he left at least that many points on the ice with sloppy landings at Pacifics) and he'd been "on the road" for a couple of months and was a bit tired.

    Zhou looked really, really good in the junior men's final, very confident, while Chen was very good, too, but did leave out a couple of jumps. But both of them are still VERY tiny -- don't know what they'll be like when they mature more, but both are very confident skaters. Zhou just turned 12 and Chen was 13 in May, so both are quite a ways away from being senior international age eligible.

  16. #236
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Is Zhou actually that tiny? He looked quite a bit bigger than Chen, who is obviously tiny but also a year and a half older and going through a growthspurt right now, so considering that, Zhou might not actually be that small for his age. Chen is what, 4'9", and Zhou seems a couple inches taller at least, so if he's 4'11" or 5' at barely 12 that's not that small, and he therefore could grow early and be a more normal size/mostly grown in the few years it takes him to become eligible for seniors. Chen was clearly affected by his injury, so Nationals will be interesting, Zhou won here (barely), but we know Chen can do a lot better. Shotaro is also quite strong but didn't skate well at Sectionals. It will be interesting to see who steps up and makes the JW team. I'm also interested to see what happens at the JGPF with Brown and Farris, Yan is not there but Kovtun and Jin have quads.

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Is Zhou actually that tiny? He looked quite a bit bigger than Chen, who is obviously tiny but also a year and a half older and going through a growthspurt right now, so considering that, Zhou might not actually be that small for his age. Chen is what, 4'9", and Zhou seems a couple inches taller at least, so if he's 4'11" or 5' at barely 12 that's not that small, and he therefore could grow early and be a more normal size/mostly grown in the few years it takes him to become eligible for seniors. Chen was clearly affected by his injury, so Nationals will be interesting, Zhou won here (barely), but we know Chen can do a lot better. Shotaro is also quite strong but didn't skate well at Sectionals. It will be interesting to see who steps up and makes the JW team. I'm also interested to see what happens at the JGPF with Brown and Farris, Yan is not there but Kovtun and Jin have quads.
    I talked to Zhou briefly after the event and he said he was 4-9.

  18. #238
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skaters04 View Post
    I talked to Zhou briefly after the event and he said he was 4-9.
    Okay so he is tiny. It might have been the costume choice that made him look taller than Chen, or maybe he's just not as skinny in build. Definitely a lot of growing to do for both of them. I hope Nathan's injury heals, apparently the type of injury he has is very painful and can take a while to correct itself? Hope his symptoms aren't too bad!

  19. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skaters04 View Post
    I talked to Zhou briefly after the event and he said he was 4-9.
    Oh that surprises me a little bit because his personal website listed him as 4'10'' (http://govincentzhou.wordpress.com/profile-4/) and that was updated like months ago, so I kind of figured that he must be a little bit taller than that now.

  20. #240
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Okay so he is tiny. It might have been the costume choice that made him look taller than Chen, or maybe he's just not as skinny in build. Definitely a lot of growing to do for both of them. I hope Nathan's injury heals, apparently the type of injury he has is very painful and can take a while to correct itself? Hope his symptoms aren't too bad!
    I remember seeing an update on his website saying that his withdraw was due to an ankle injury which he aggravated just before JGP Croatia. But the message also mentioned he has "Osgood-Chlatter knee pain." But that doesn't seem to be the reason he withdrew. Since in the recent sectional competition he didn't use any of the Lutz jump, I'm guessing he is still recovering from the ankle injury.

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •