vCash
    Johnny sp at Finlandia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCdSZ-sZJc

Richard Dornbush sp at Finlandia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5XjY3EReFo

Overall sp results:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/r...012/SEG001.HTM

Bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBk1ujPhVA Hanyu sp (trying to emulate Dai?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDfhulAmWk Fernandez sp (well done -- needs work on spins and presentation skills)

ETA: JEREMY ABBOTT new programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWzcVMkbfE Spy sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclDBc_ek2s Bring Him Home fp (abbreviated version)

And the plot thickens for U.S. men. Good luck to all.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    I really like Ricky's sp! Watched it three times already. Beautiful melody of With Or Without You also helps

vCash
    ^^ Yes, right! I like RD's sp more than his fp at this point. However, so good to see him back on track for a competitive season.

Great to see Johnny back on competitive ice. Watching Javi and Hanyu, and then Johnny reminds me of Johnny circa 2004-2006 (especially JWe's Rondo with red/black costume). Hope Johnny gets stronger throughout the season. This is a good start for him.

Truly, I think Jeremy Abbott is better than everyone. I wish he could internalize that truth and rise to the top on the strength of belief in himself and his extraordinary talent.

vCash
    Unfortunately Nathan Chen was unable to finish his 2nd JGP competition -- @USFigureSkating tweeted earlier today:
    Nathan Chen has a lower leg injury that forced him to withdraw from JGP Croatia before the FS. He will be evaluated when he returns home.
    Hopefully it's not a serious injury and he will be ready and able to compete in the Junior Men's event at Pacific Coast Sectionals next month to qualify for Nationals. He has a bye through Central Pacific Regionals this month for being the defending national champ returning in Jr.

ETA: I'm cross-posting this fun item from another thread... Nathan Chen recently made the Oct. 1st issue of Sports Illustrated's "Faces in the Crowd" page ( for the inclusion of a figure skater!): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sco...0/1/index.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-05-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: to add SI link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Hope Nathan heals well and soon. Thanks for the SI link. Very cool -- his accomplishments are amazing.

Any word on how he suffered the leg injury (in practice?), and what kind of injury is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

ETA: JEREMY ABBOTT new programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWzcVMkbfE Spy sp

And the plot thickens for U.S. men. Good luck to all.

What a hot piece of ass!

Sorry but someone has to say it!

vCash
    It's just a jump to the left
    And then a step to the right
    With your hands on your hips
    You bring your knees in tight
    But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Sorry but someone has to say it!
    No they don't.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I just watched Johnny's program, and if he thinks he can turn up at Nationals and win with that, he's got another think coming.

Bland, bland, tacky.

vCash
    Dornbush just at Finlandia Trophy and got silver:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/r...2012/index.htm

scored around 169 pts. in the LP. Finished 2d only to Hanyu.

Did the Quad, too

vCash
    Besides the quad, Richard also did this awesome Rippon Lutz-Rippon Triple Toe combo. And it fits perfectly with the beat at that point in the music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezleRILtPTs#t=2m28s

vCash
    Ohhhhhh that was exciting!

Round One:

Weir vs. Dornbush:

Dornbush winner!!!

Next stop Abbott vs. Lysacek

vCash
    Looking at the TES in my link above, Ricky w/ 1 fall actually beat a clean Hanyu in TES!

Very exciting!

vCash
    ^^ Good for Richard! I still like Richard's sp better. His fp is good and he obviously performed well, but I found it a bit too frenetic in some places, plus Jeremy Abbott did this style of program far more masterfully last season. I see Richard attempting to incorporate the story-telling elements from his fp of two seasons ago, but his effort for this fp so far doesn't work for me on the level of artistic interpretation. Still it is early yet, and in any case, fs judges don't really care about artistry as long as technical difficulty and consistency is achieved.

I'm sure Richard will get better and better as the season progresses, and it's great to see him so strong and confident, and back on track. He definitely has two solid programs, and I'm glad the skate boot problem was solved too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Looking at the TES in my link above, Ricky w/ 1 fall actually beat a clean Hanyu in TES!

Very exciting!
    Indeed! Ricky's BV was nearly four points higher than Yuzuru's, which is about how much he lost on the fall with quad (-1 fall + -3 GOE). But he made it with major +GOE. He got a whopping 1.63 points for that awesome 3Z-3T combo I mention earlier and a 1.17 for the 4T-2T and the choreographic step sequence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Besides the quad, Richard also did this awesome Rippon Lutz-Rippon Triple Toe combo. And it fits perfectly with the beat at that point in the music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezleRILtPTs#t=2m28s
    Shouldn't the toe be called the Dornbush Toe since no one else has done a 3toe with both-hands-over-head yet

And Nobunari Oda has the Oda Loop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Shouldn't the toe be called the Dornbush Toe since no one else has done a 3toe with both-hands-over-head yet

Okay, I'll play -- What a beautiful Rippon Lutz-Dornbush Toe!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Ohhhhhh that was exciting!

Round One:

Weir vs. Dornbush:

Dornbush winner!!!

Next stop Abbott vs. Lysacek
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post

Very exciting!

Ha ha, yes but the younger guys have the overall advantage, IMHO, because "you can't teach old dogs new tricks." If Jeremy Abbott brings his A game consistently, IMO, he's far better than most guys in the men's field. IOW, Jeremy Abbott and Dai Takahashi, IMO, are the main guys who combine superb artistry with superb technical brilliance. The key is in displaying consistency and mental strength under competitive pressure, especially for Jeremy. In Dai's case, it is just continuing to be spot on with landing the quads, because he's already mastered the mental game, and his artistry and charisma are out of this world.

I am glad for Johnny that he's gone back to the drawing board/ competitive ice and is looking good. Obviously, he still has similar hurdles to overcome (i.e., judges' and others' personal opinions of him coloring their assessment of his skating, plus he is no longer at his physical peak). That's a lot to overcome, but I wish him well. Again, I'd much prefer watching a senior professional tour with Plush, Johnny, Evan, Lambiel, etc., and having them leave senior eligible tour to the youngins (young guns), and to the veterans who never stopped for a breather, i.e., Jeremy and Dai.

Eh okay it is what it is. And you're right, olympic, it is also "very exciting" re Dornbush showing his competitive chops TES-wise against Hanyu. I think Hanyu has the potential for greatness both technically and artistically, but right now I think he only lacks maturity and experience (same as Richard for that matter). If all the eligible men continue to improve artistically and continue to develop technical consistency, it will be exciting to see all of them going at it. It is exciting to see Richard doing so well. Again, the plot only thickens for U.S. guys.

In any case, I give the younger guys the advantage over the veterans coming back for Sochi -- even in Plush's case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Okay, I'll play -- What a beautiful Rippon Lutz-Dornbush Toe!
    Ha ha, but no, Rippon did it first with both arms overhead -- no matter what jump it was. All these guys are just copying Rippon (and Rippon was simply doing Boitano one better). Therefore, anytime anyone jumps with any arm overhead, they all are doing TanoRipp, eh?

ETA:
    Now that everyone is copying Rippon, I'm just waiting for when the move will be given more credit for its difficulty
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-06-2012 at 11:47 PM.

vCash
    Ha ha, but no, Rippon did it first with both hands overhead -- no matter what jump it was. All these guys are just copying Rippon (and Rippon was simply doing Boitano one better). Therefore, anytime anyone jumps with any arm overhead, they all are doing TanoRipp, eh?

ETA:
    Now that everyone is copying Rippon, I'm just waiting for when the move will be given more credit for its difficulty
    Well the 3-3 TanoRipp combo sounds pretty good, actually!

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast