Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Nancy Kerrigan documentary

Nancy Kerrigan will discuss the famous attack for the first time in many years.

http://www.parade.com/58483/viannguy...n-documentary/

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    The article says it will air at the Olys. in Sochi. Thanks for sharing the article.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Epic stuff, one of many clips uploaded by the same user from that era:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQGP74d0Mc

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    The article says it will air at the Olys. in Sochi. Thanks for sharing the article.
    Just a slight clarification: It will air as part of NBC's coverage of the Sochi Olympic Games.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I believe they are getting an interview with both Nancy and Tonya if I'm not mistaken.

vCash
    During the 2002 Games, NBC aired a Dateline special on Peggy and Dorothy before the Closing Ceremonies. Probably what NBC will do here.

vCash
    I can't believe it's been 20 years! :0

vCash
    Please don't let it be like that interview where they had them both in the same room!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I can't believe it's been 20 years! :0
    I know. Unreal.

vCash
    Now if we can only have Ashley scratch Gracie's eyes out the day before the SP the circle will be complete

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Please don't let it be like that interview where they had them both in the same room!
    Haha. Rewatching that clip reminded me just how awkward it all was. Harding denying being a part of the conspiracy with Kerrigan looking away trying really hard not to say what she really feels.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    If they have both moved on, why do they want to rehash this again? I wonder if they will have anything different to say.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Rewatching the face to face clip from the 1998 FOX interview is really awkward. So many times when Tonya is being interviewed and the camera cuts to Nancy, Kerrigan looks like she is going to have a nervous breakdown and dissolve into tears. On the flip side, Harding appears so calm, as if nothing has really happened and there are multiple times when the camera cuts to her and she looks like she is going to burst into laughter. Then, the question about the possibility of the plot involving "murdering" Nancy. Tonya asking Nancy for forgiveness and saying to her, "we're friends . . .". It was very easy to see that Nancy did not really want to wish Tonya well. Talk about an uncomfortable room where you can cut the tension with a knife.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-31-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Blergh
    vCash
    It's quite obvious that Nancy doesn't believe Tonya's version of events.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I noticed it hasn't been mentioned in this thread that ESPN will air their own Kerrigan/Harding documentary on November 5th - various articles:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013072...130728985/1707
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — The knee whack heard 'round the world will be revisited near the 20th anniversary of the rivalry between Olympic figure skaters Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, as one of six new documentaries on ESPN's “30 for 30” series.

The series' second season begins Oct. 1 with “Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau,” about the big wave surfer and lifeguard.

It wraps up Nov. 5 with “Tonya and Nancy,” a look back at the Jan. 6, 1994, incident in which Kerrigan was clubbed on the knee after practice for the U.S. championships in a plot masterminded by Harding's ex-husband. The film includes new interviews with Harding and people close to Kerrigan.

ESPN Films Vice President Connor Schell said Wednesday that they're still trying to persuade Kerrigan to do an interview. She has mostly shunned the spotlight to focus on raising her family.

“Several people close to her have done interviews,” he told the Television Critics Association summer meeting. “We're still working to get Nancy and hope by November that we do.”
    Relevant excerpt from Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch's "Media Circus" column: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...index.html#all
    4. NBC Sports announced on Saturday that former Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan had agreed to an exclusive interview with the network as part of an upcoming documentary on Kerrigan and Tonya Harding that will air on NBC during the Sochi Olympics.

The documentary is timed to the 20th anniversary of the skaters' dramatic showdown at the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. Kerrigan will be interviewed by Mary Carillo, who will narrate the NBC documentary.

What makes this announcement interesting is the gamesmanship between ESPN and NBC for Kerrigan. ESPN Films announced in May that it was producing a 30 for 30 documentary on Harding and Kerrigan, a film being directed by Nanette Burstein, who co-directed the sensational documentary, "The Kid Stays In The Picture." Burstein told SI.com in May that she was optimistic Kerrigan would sit down with her for an interview but as of this writing, Kerrigan had declined ESPN's overtures (ESPN has already interviewed Harding). Burstein said if the she could not get Kerrigan on film, the documentary would still proceed. It is scheduled to air in November. Said an ESPN spokesperson: "We are still pursuing an interview with her, but we're completely prepared to do a film in which Nancy exists only in archives."

An NBC Sports spokesperson told SI.com on Saturday that Kerrigan is not being paid for her interview with Carillo. But when asked if Kerrigan was being considered for an on-air gig for the Sochi Games, the spokesperson said, "Nancy is among many former Winter Olympic athletes under consideration for an on-air role in Sochi."
    http://www.shermanreport.com/nbc-win...r-documentary/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...mentary-594415
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-01-2013 at 01:06 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I feel like there has been quite a change in Nancy over the years in terms of how she has occurred in the public.
    Her amateur career has obviously been characterized by so much static coming from expectations, inconsistent performances, the whack, her insincere public appearances following her silver and just a general tension to everything she was involved with.
    Since then things have changed. I personally liked a lot of online commentary she has done. These, in addition to interviews and appearances have all come off as sensitive and sincere, almost like she's found peace with herself and her life.

I quite like her and I'd like to see her do some commentating or other TV work in Sochi. I think perhaps she understands that she will forever be linked to one of the few moments in figure skating that transcended the sport so she'll need to address it periodically. Once every 20 years might not be too much to ask.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i am not sure if i hope nancy gets an on air gig in exchange or not. when she was on ice network, she was kind of awful but it was pretty funny.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I think perhaps she understands that she will forever be linked to one of the few moments in figure skating that transcended the sport so she'll need to address it periodically.
    I have always gotten the sense that she would sooner not talk about it, but that someone (maybe her husband/agent) has persuaded her to do it. She just always seems so uncomfortable around the topic.

Once every 20 years might not be too much to ask.
    I have to disagree. I think it's been done to death and there's not much more to say about it. And when I saw her skate in a show a few years ago, I thought that it's too bad that she will probably be remembered more for the knee-bashing than for what she actually accomplished in skating.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I, for one, am curious to hear what Nancy has to say now. 20 years is a LONG time. I seriously doubt these documentaries will unearth any new information but Nancy (and Tonya) will probably have some new perspective. It could be interesting, or not. We shall see.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    20 years is a long time and I have no problem with an update. Back in 2010, CTV did an update on the Battle of the Brians and the Battle of the Carmens. No new information was unearthed but it was still enjoyable.

I like Nancy and her frostiness (although I don't see much of that nowadays). Heck, I want to know what Tonya thinks of the new judging system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast