Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Angry Grand Prix 12-13 only for Univesal Sports Subscribers?

I don't get Universal from Comcast. Where I lived before, I didn't get Universal from Time Warner. In the US, that's most of the country. This year, unless you receive them, you cannot buy streams from their website.
    After a second reading of Ice Network's schedule I noticed that except for Skate America, you have to wait 7 days to see the VOD, no streaming for the Grand Prix events. Is anyone besides me outraged? I emailed Ice Network and just as I suspected Universal will not sell streaming rights to them this year. I have emailed USFSA and Comcast as well.
    Is everyone going to stay silent while we let a season slip by without access to these events?
    If I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm not sure what can be done about if Universal Sports has the rights. That would mean they can pretty much do as they please. I do have DirecTV and Universal Sports through the Sports Pack. I'm sorry to hear that Time Warner doesn't carry it.

The Grand Prix Will also be shown on NBC. Skate America will be shown live on NBC. I'm not sure if the whole event of Skate America is live. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows more than what I do about what will be aired on NBC. Here's part of the TV schedule for NBC.

Figure Skating TV Schedule
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatingfan924 View Post
    I don't get Universal from Comcast. Where I lived before, I didn't get Universal from Time Warner. In the US, that's most of the country. This year, unless you receive them, you cannot buy streams from their website.
    After a second reading of Ice Network's schedule I noticed that except for Skate America, you have to wait 7 days to see the VOD, no streaming for the Grand Prix events. Is anyone besides me outraged? I emailed Ice Network and just as I suspected Universal will not sell streaming rights to them this year. I have emailed USFSA and Comcast as well.
    Is everyone going to stay silent while we let a season slip by without access to these events?
    If I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.
    Yes it sucks and yes there has been a lot of discussion about this previously. I guess if you want to see stuff live you have to switch to Direct TV. Or settle for NBC coverage or wait a week for Icenetwork.

vCash
    Just subscribe to TV Teka for the Grand Prix months. It's cheap and very good quality.

vCash
    More than likely videos will be posted to youtube very quickly, just like they were last year.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Just subscribe to TV Teka for the Grand Prix months. It's cheap and very good quality.
    What's TV Teka?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    What's TV Teka?
    Internet tv for Russian expats.

NTV covered the entire GP series and I imagine that one of the channels (no idea who has rights this year) will be covering it again this year.

vCash
    Internet tv for Russian expats.

NTV covered the entire GP series and I imagine that one of the channels (no idea who has rights this year) will be covering it again this year.
    Any idea whether it is available in Australia? Thanks.

vCash
    what do people in the UK generally use to watch?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Any idea whether it is available in Australia? Thanks.
    Yep tvteka.com is not geo-blocked anywhere other than Russia, as far as I know.

It costs 10$ per month and you get access to loads of Russian channels and can watch both live and on-demand.

The commentators usually don't babble over the programs and often only give comments after the skater(s) have finished, which is great.

I don't speak Russian but I use Chrome's built in Google Translate feature to navigate it.

vCash

It costs 10$ per month and you get access to loads of Russian channels and can watch both live and on-demand.

The commentators usually don't babble over the programs and often only give comments after the skater(s) have finished, which is great.

I don't speak Russian but I use Chrome's built in Google Translate feature to navigate it.
    Sounds great! Is there an on demand feature? I can't get up in the middle of the night or watch during the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Sounds great! Is there an on demand feature? I can't get up in the middle of the night or watch during the day.
    Yes. Every program gets archived and you can watch it for 7 days afterwards, IIRC.

If you buy it right before Skate America, you end up paying for 2 months to get the whole GP plus the final covered. So 20 dollars.

vCash
    Yes. Every program gets archived and you can watch it for 7 days afterwards, IIRC.

If you buy it right before Skate America, you end up paying for 2 months to get the whole GP plus the final covered. So 20 dollars.
    Oh great! You are gem. At least I know where and what to look in order to view the live competitions from afar. The 7 day archive is useful for people who live in different time zones.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash

I thought about trying out Google Chrome because of the translate feature. Is Google Chrome faster than Internet Explorer?
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I thought about trying out Google Chrome because of the translate feature. Is Google Chrome faster than Internet Explorer?

Yes, it is. I love Google Chrome. I also love the translate feature.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Google Chrome is about a million times better than Internet Explorer.

A far far superior browser in many aspects.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks. I'll definitely use it since it's faster than IE!
    Angie

vCash
    Dish network also has Universal Sports as part of a sports package. I dumped Comcast last year because of this and have been very glad. Dish has a new DVR called The Hopper which has a huge capacity hard drive, a very nice feature.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This is one of the main reasons that I have hardly followed skating in years. The access to watching it simply has not been there. Thank goodness for the internet and especially FSU because otherwise I would not know anything about skating except for the Olympics.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Will Universal Sports be showing the GP events live and on-demand online or are they only showing it on their TV channel?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast