Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Amazon Prime question

It seems Amazon.com no longer has the supersaver free shipping for order of $25 or more. Lately I have seen the Prime membership. When I tried to find out more about it, I discovered that they would charge my credit card $79 next August for the prime membership. It allows 2-day deliveries for free, but I very much preferred the supersaver they had earlier.

For shipping I usually choose the cheapest option because time is usually not a factor for me, but now that they are forcing 'Prime' on us, I will be paying for shipping every time I order, regardless of how big/small the order is.

Anyone has experience with Prime membership? Is it worth paying $79 per year?

vCash
    i guess it depends upon how much you order, how quickly you want things, if you have a kindle to do library shares, etc. As someone who used amazon as one of their main shopping places for gifts and Christmas, I would say yes. I ship all over the US and into Canada and prime gives me the best options.
    But I think that we order stuff at least once a week.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    When I was in college and needed textbooks (sometimes last minute), the free two-day shipping saved my butt.

Also, I was enterprising back then and put my father, sister, and even my coworker on my account, and charged 'em $20 each year for the privilege. You can add up to 4 additional people on it, so if you have friends who'd want to chip in, that's another way to do it. They claim you have to live in the same household, but back then, the "test" was to see if you knew each other's email addresses and birthdays. That's how I added my coworker, haha. The $79 isn't so bad spread out among that many people. The two-day shipping pays for itself much quicker that way.

I no longer have my Prime account under my name, but when I discontinued it, my father went two weeks without and re-registered, because he loves Amazon that much. (My sister IMed me right after he sent an email telling us about it, going "I KNEW HE WOULD CAVE!" ) He put us on his account and we don't pay him, because he doesn't care about money the way I did as a poor college student.

Also, if you are the primary account holder, you also get a bunch of free streaming online movies. So that's something else you get as well.

I think you should see if there's value in it for your shopping needs. If shipping is say, $4 average for things that you buy, the Prime would pay for itself after 20 purchases, and be 2-day to boot. That's under 2 purchases on Amazon a month.

vCash
    Hmm, whenever I'm on Amazon, it offers me free shipping for purchases over 25 dollars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Hmm, whenever I'm on Amazon, it offers me free shipping for purchases over 25 dollars.
    I just received my crock pot from amazon (around $35) and paid no shipping fees. But it was also longer than 2 days...

vCash
    It depends on the purchases. Not everything from the Amazon Marketplace offers free shipping for a $25 purchase.

vCash
    As far as I know, amazon prime does not replace supersaver (the info for supersaver is still all over their website). The great thing about Amazon Prime is that it ships free if you order anything prime eligible - so you don't have to spend $25 each time; you could spend $5 and get free shipping.

It's only worth paying for if you use amazon A LOT. I got a free half-year (husband got a free year, they must have changed the promo) of Prime as "Amazon Student" and it was fabulous; but I wouldn't pay for it. We just use Amazon less now. (Technically Amazon student is for students, but if you have a .edu address for another reason, you can usually get the promo. I'm not for that though.)

vCash
    Well, the shipping is just one perk of the prime membership. With a Prime membership, you also get access to the Kindle lending library as well as free prime videos on Amazon Instant video. For the Kindle lending library, you can borrow one book at a time as long as you have a Kindle device. The prime video service is like Netflix. I found that many of Amazon's prime video overlapped with Netflix but some weren't available on Netflix. If you use Amazon's media ecosystem a lot, then a prime membership might be worth. If you don't use their media services and you don't order products from them a lot, then I would say the membership isn't worth it.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I've had Prime for years and I will absolutely renew again; I love it. I order a lot from Amazon and when I order, there is often a time constraint. Apart from free 2-day- shipping, there is a $3.99 next day shipping, which I use a bit. Plus many free TV shows, istant streaming and lending library, though less important to me, are very nice. But my whole family uses kindles, buys lots of books, music, technology etc., and I like shopping online. I guess it all depends on how much you order and how quickly you want it.
    Last edited by dinakt; 09-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Holy crap, you scared me! I just checked my Amazon account and it looks like the free super saver shipping is still available.

vCash
    I've had Prime for years and find it saves our family a significant amount. $80 is 10-15 2nd day shipments, so if you use Amazon once a month, you'll save. Having the video included is a huge plus.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Not anymore, it seems. They used to call it supersaver (mentioned in my OP) and I always used it. Now they are showing only 'Prime' next to their items; I don't see Supersaver at all. When I clicked to find out shipping charges, no mention of supersaver. Hence this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Holy crap, you scared me! I just checked my Amazon account and it looks like the free super saver shipping is still available.
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess it will appear only at the final step.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    That's very weird. I'm not placing an order, but everything in my cart says eligible for free super saver shipping. On the right side, it also says your order qualifies for free super saver shipping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not anymore, it seems. They used to call it supersaver (mentioned in my OP) and I always used it. Now they are showing only 'Prime' next to their items; I don't see Supersaver at all. When I clicked to find out shipping charges, no mention of supersaver. Hence this thread.
    I just went to Amazon and searched for 5 random things and the all qualified for supersaver and when I went to checkout (but didn't) it gave me the supersaver option. I did have to select supersaver, it defaulted to a slow shipping I had to pay for. On the item pages the items just said prime, but supersaver still worked for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I just went to Amazon and searched for 5 random things and the all qualified for supersaver and when I went to checkout (but didn't) it gave me the supersaver option. I did have to select supersaver, it defaulted to a slow shipping I had to pay for. On the item pages the items just said prime, but supersaver still worked for me.

That's good to know. I do need to place an order tonight and I know it will be over $25. Hopefully I will get the supersaver. What's strange though, in the past even when I searched for a book (I mostly order books on amazon.com), it used to show up as supersaver. Now it only shows up as Prime. It's very confusing.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    That's good to know. I do need to place an order tonight and I know it will be over $25. Hopefully I will get the supersaver. What's strange though, in the past even when I searched for a book (I mostly order books on amazon.com), it used to show up as supersaver. Now it only shows up as Prime. It's very confusing.
    Ok, I think I see what you mean. When searching, do you click through to the item? Because in the list, I see Prime but when I select an item, it says "& free shipping on orders over $25." In general, anything that qualifies for Amazon Prime usually qualifies for the free super saver shipping.

vCash
    I like it not only for the lending library, but also the free TV and Movie selections. Granted the prime selections are older shows, but I've been able to binge watch old shows that aren't on anymore. And also revisit some shows that I haven't seen in a long time.

vCash
    I did a Prime trial and ended up canceling. I found that Prime membership made it too tempting to buy stuff!

The Supersaver shipping definitely is still on. I just got a confirmation e-mail on an order with free shipping.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Certain items come from sellers who are going through Amazon. Amazon has nothing to do with shipping the item, they just allow those sellers to list them on their site. Those items are not eligible for super saver shipping because it is probably a person sending you something out of their house or shop. This is especially common for books, you could be buying the book from any number of people/shops and not actually from Amazon.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast