Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

I'm starting a new thread from these April 6th posts in the earlier U.S. Senior B speculation thread and a few other reliable sources:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but the US senior B may end up being held in Salt Lake City (source).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Interesting! Salt Lake City Figure Skating did an outstanding job hosting both 2011 Junior Nationals (held in December 2010) and 2011 Adult Nationals.

If it's held at the same complex, it's a beautiful and warm facility. Plenty of seating for a Senior B, without being too-large-for-it's-own-good.
    Still waiting for this competition to be listed in the ISU 2012-13 Calendar as well as an official announcement via USFS.

vCash
    Was the US only getting one Event B, or trying for another one in California in addition (previous thread topic)?

vCash
    I believe only one Senior B was planned for the U.S. and we know of at least 3 clubs that bid to host it.

vCash
    Salt Lake is 4320' above sea level. Not as bad as Colorade Springs (6000') but may be a bit taxing for those not used to it.

vCash
    double post.

vCash
    Meh. I wuzrobbed of a 20 minute door-to-rink drive for this. OTOH, it's a short flight to SLC, and I've never been anywhere but the airport there. Wherever it is, that the USA will be hosting one of these.

vCash
    I think it's 4,900 feet about sea level that starts to affect humans. I don't remember altitude being a problem at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think it's 4,900 feet about sea level that starts to affect humans. I don't remember altitude being a problem at the Olympics.
    I recall that it was a concern for skaters who train at sea level. All the top skaters arrived well ahead of the event in order to get accustomed to the altitude.

Altitude will affect some people more than others. Anyone with asthma or other breathing problems can feel uncomfortable at 2000'. My husband had COPD and Lake Placid (1900') was a problem for him.

vCash
    While I wish this B event were in Ontario, so I could attend, I am so happy US will host a B Event!

Yeah us!

vCash
    I'm hoping that means more Canadian athletes will get the opportunity to compete

vCash
    Great that there's finally a Senior B event in North America!
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    The sanction is listed in the Governing Council book.

34. APPROVED that Salt Lake Figure Skating be awarded a provisional sanction to host, in conjunction with U.S. Figure Skating, a U.S. senior “B” international competition; Sept. 12-16, 2012; Salt Lake City, Utah.

vCash
    Cup O'Salt?

Any word on whether it includes all disciplines?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Cup O'Salt?
    Maybe 'Skate Salt Lake'?

But seriously, this is great news! Finally a Sr. B in North America!

vCash
    "Skate Salt Lake" is the name of the club's annual summer competition (this year's dates are August 9-11, 2012): http://saltlakefigureskating.com

Thanks for the provisional sanction info, aster!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Was the US only getting one Event B, or trying for another one in California in addition (previous thread topic)?
    The Senior B submission in California was from the Glacier Falls Figure Skating Club, Inc. (host of 2004 Jr. Grand Prix of Long Beach, 2006 US Collegiate, numerous SWPs and most recently 2011 U. S. Synchro Nationals and sponsor of Skaters Care, a benefit for Japan Tsunami Relief).

It was proposed by GF that the Senior B be held in conjunction with the Glacier Falls Summer Classic, held annually in early August. In response, US Figure Skating felt that date was too early for the Senior B season. Glacier Falls did not want to change the well established date of a major West Coast competition. GF also felt that a stand alone Senior B would not be financially successful due to the high costs of running a competition in Southern California.

Salt Lake City has an excellent facility with a well established financial foundation (proceeds of the 2002 Winter Olys) and a terrific club and volunteer base. They will run a great competition.

My sincere best wishes to them on having a great event.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Yeah for a North American Senior B!!!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    The altitude here is about 4400 feet. (I use high altitude directions for baking). Of course it depends on where you are as this is the mountains. Altitude can have an affect on skaters. However, since the Winter Olympics are often, if not mostly, held at altitude, skaters will always need to train for it.

Steiner (our name for the Salt Lake Sports Complex where adult Nationals were) is indeed a great facility and I can't imagine this competition will be held anywhere else. I believe this is happening because there is a young group of very capable and very enthusiastic people in the Utah Figure Skating Club who are going after competitions again.

I surely hope I will be able to see most of this competition. Will Salt Lake be the permanent home for this competition? I bet it won't be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    The altitude here is about 4400 feet. (I use high altitude directions for baking). Of course it depends on where you are as this is the mountains. Altitude can have an affect on skaters. However, since the Winter Olympics are often, if not mostly, held at altitude, skaters will always need to train for it.

Steiner (our name for the Salt Lake Sports Complex where adult Nationals were) is indeed a great facility and I can't imagine this competition will be held anywhere else. I believe this is happening because there is a young group of very capable and very enthusiastic people in the Utah Figure Skating Club who are going after competitions again.

I surely hope I will be able to see most of this competition. Will Salt Lake be the permanent home for this competition? I bet it won't be.
    Are you in the SLC area? I live in Clearfield.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ISU Communication No. 1727, published today, lists the new U.S. Senior B, September 13–16, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Any word on whether it includes all disciplines?
    All 4 disciplines are included in the ISU Communication chart, but it will depend on many entries in each discipline are submitted by the participating federations.

Copying this over from the "2012-13 Schedule for International Figure & Synchronized Skating Competitions" thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Please remind me how Senior B assignments work for the host country. (I haven't paid much attention in recent years, since we haven't had hosted one recently in the US).

Are we capped on how many USA competitors can compete at the Senior B "U.S. Senior International" competition in September in SLC? If yes, is the max 3 entries per discipline?

If we aren't limited on how many USA competitors can compete at "U.S. Senior International"... are the USA entries determined solely by US Figure Skating?
    I believe this is the first-ever Senior B in the USA so we'll have to wait for the competition announcement to be published online.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-15-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast