Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I agree. He's had a great career, but these early losses look like they are getting more and more frequent.
    He has had two early losses, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Give him a break, he's human. He can still play tennis at a high level. Doesn't mean he'll contend at every major. He still loves tennis and I seriously doubt he'll retire before the 2016 Olympics. I mean one rough Summer and people say he needs to retire? Hold your head high Roger, you're a great champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Roger is 32.
    And so is Hewitt. Ferrer and Robredo are 31. Thirty year old Hanchukova and 31 year old Pennetta won their matches. The Bryans are 35. Why is "30 the new-20" for everyone except Roger?

Roger is 32, but I don't think because of his age, it should now be expected that he lose in straight sets at a slam against a player he's owned.

vCash
    Hewitt a former #1 who is ranked outside the top 50 you mean. Federer is still doing far better overall than all those people you mentioned.

vCash
    Hewitt a former #1 who is ranked outside the top 50 you mean. Federer is still doing far better overall than all those people you mentioned.
    Exactly, and the fact that Roger (who was the game's #1 player at this time last year) is now losing to the likes of Benneteau, Stakhovsky, Delbonis, Brands, and now Robredo says that there's more to the story than "Roger is 32".

vCash
    Gasquet

Fed will retire when he's good and ready. I'm sure these losses hurt his ego, but none of us are invincible. He might need to work even harder, and have a rethink about how he approaches certain matches but there's no need for him to run off just because he's had a few uncharacteristic losses.

vCash
    Federer.

Really happy to see Dani Hantuchova playing well and having a good run here. The number of aces in yesterday's match was incredible! She has such a natural fluidity to her game, hasn't seen her play in quite some time and it's refreshing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    And so is Hewitt. Ferrer and Robredo are 31. Thirty year old Hanchukova and 31 year old Pennetta won their matches. The Bryans are 35. Why is "30 the new-20" for everyone except Roger?

Roger is 32, but I don't think because of his age, it should now be expected that he lose in straight sets at a slam against a player he's owned.
    What a harsh and judgemental attitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    What a harsh and judgemental attitude.
    I don't agree, and I don't think Duane is the judgmental one. I also think Roger himself would agree that his age would not necessarily contribute to a loss to Robredo, whom he defeated 10 times and is all of one year younger.

I think a combination of the racquet change, lousy weather conditions (including a last-minute court change) and a tougher-then-expected challenge combined to frustrate Roger and cause him to dump easy volleys and shank more forehands than usual. One thing I've noticed, though: he seemed to get so angry at himself, he threw the match away. I think having to adjust his game, not being able to do what he likes at there most of the time, is taking a toll on his confidence.

vCash
    Roger is 32. You guys seem to forget that. It is the natural course of things. To even do what he did last year at 31 was remarkable but peoples primes dont last forever, unless you are Serena Williams who seems to be an alien in that sense.
    I think some of Roger's issue is related to age which has resulted in his inconsistent play over the last year and a half. Aging players have to adapt their game to the changes in their body. Roger should have been working on other aspects of his game for the last few years and he has chosen not too. He rarely uses topspin in his shots, hardly any variety and then he was impatient last night. I kept wondering if he was going to adjust his margin of error on his shots, but he didnt.
    Last edited by topaz; 09-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    He rarely uses topspin in his shots, hardly in variety and then he was impatient last night. I kept wondering if he was going to adjust his margin of error on his shots, but he didnt.
    Absolutely agree. Roger isn't known for his ability to adjust his game mid-match, the way Nadal and Djokovic do so often. He has been slow to change. This summer it's pretty obvious Rafa realizes his body won't tolerate as much sprinting and retrieving on hardcourt as it used to, and he's compensated with a more aggressive service return, and by sticking closer to the baseline. Roger's temperament is different; he gets impatient.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

The big difference is that Roger is considered the GOAT. The other players don't nearly have the prowess of Roger's image or resume.

The Bryan Brothers play DOUBLES; so you know that is not reasonable comparison. Doubles is not as hard on the body and mind as singles. This is why Hingis is playing doubles not singles.

Roger needs to change and adapt his game if he wants to move up in the ranks and get further in tourneys. If he does not then he will continue to have results like he has had for the last 7 months.

vCash
    Good for Flavia Pennetta, who really should have made to semis of Wimbledon this year (lost to Flipkens), and semis of US Open a couple years ago (lost to Kerber). She essentially nothing to defend until early next year so she may very well be back to top 20. Interestingly, Roberta Vinci will get another chance for a top 10 ranking should she win the quarter-final.

Roger could perhaps employ more net rushing tactics, but he's going to have to accept that he'll get passed from time to time by the top players (but still stick with that strategy). Also, the floating slice backhand returns are getting punished a little more often.

vCash
    I dislike some of the overtones "kicking Roger to the curb", here.

He seemed disappointed in himself during his press conference.
    I'm sure he'll re-assess whatever he has/or hasn't been doing, going forward.

vCash
    Good Gracious Vika pulled it out 4-6, 6-3, 4-6. This was not a pretty win for Vika. Vika had 9 DF and Ana had 8 DF.

Vika determination is really outstanding, great fight.
    Last edited by topaz; 09-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.

vCash
    Vika winning ugly.

I like her dress, but she doesn't look in the shape of her life atm.

Same old for Ivanovic of recent years unfortunately. Close but not close enough.

vCash
    I'm kind of loving the resurgence of Lleyton Hewitt.

Youzhny, ugh, he just looks like such a thug.

I'll be there for the Men's 1/4s on Thursday!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I'm kind of loving the resurgence of Lleyton Hewitt.
    I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Youzhny, ugh, he just looks like such a thug.
    Good or bad thing?

vCash
    Li Na through to her first USO semi

vCash
    Hewitt led 4-1 in the forth set - lost it 4-6.

He led 5-2 in the fifth set - lost it 5-7.

Ouch

Misha

vCash
    Hewitt totally let that momentum slip away.....

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast