Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No way can Seles rank above Serena or Evert all time. She never won Wimbledon, doesnt even come close to the same longevity (and almost certainly wouldnt have even without the stabbing as that would mean lasting at the top and winning slams into her 30s), and wasnt even certain to reach their # of slams even without the stabbing.

Ranking Henin above Evert is criminal and a huge slap in the face to Chrissie. The only thing remarkable about Henin's career is clay court stats in the maybe the worst clay field ever, and even in clay stats Chris the clay GOAT kills her. Unless you give Henin brownie points for being a shortie, but then Hingis should rank above Henin since she won by playing true small girls tennis rather than being a miniature bodybuilder wannabee big babe like Henin. One whose suspicious retirement had whispers of PED use too.

vCash
    Longevity should probably factor into the discussion, which is why Monica Seles probably should be ranked alongside players like Maureen Connolly and Suzanne Lenglen but no higher. Serena is actually catching up to Monica in terms of singles titles (only behind by 1) and weeks at #1 (behind now by 33, and will probably overtake by early next year).

Navratilova beating her 13 times in a row at one point when Evert was still in her prime is testement to that. No matter how great Martina was at the time, it is hard to think of any other best ever contender who would get that owned by anyone in their primes.
    That was an odd period as Chris Evert did not switch to graphite until early 1984, granted Martina probably would have still won most of those matches during that period (Chris won only 3 sets of 30 in those 13 matches) ,

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post

As for Serena, I'd say she's still not that close to Martina N or Steffi or Court. I would say she's around Monica. I would have loved to have seen an in her prime Monica vs. Serena just because the two of them would be like dogs fighting over a bone. I can't decide who would win in a battle of wills.
    I remember an amazing match toward the end of Seles' career during the hardcourt season leading to the U.S. Open where Seles fought off like 8 match points from Serena and came back to win. It was epic!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Roger, Roger, Roger...

Ok, he's playing with a new racquet, which IMO is a good thing, but he played Hamburg to win to the title/add 500 badly needed points, and to gain confidence. This semis loss to a qualifier is bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I remember an amazing match toward the end of Seles' career during the hardcourt season leading to the U.S. Open where Seles fought off like 8 match points from Serena and came back to win. It was epic!
    Yes, that was amazing match... I had high hopes of her wining US open that year. Anyway with standard Monica set before she was stabbed, she would have achieved a lot in the sport. I still find it so hard to believe she was stabbed at the age of 19 ...

vCash
    No comments about the Rogers Cup? Seeds falling all over the place in the bottom 1/2 and 2 Canadians into the semis! Crazy week. Top 1/2 going pretty much as expected. Wish the Sportsnet commentary was more bearable...I want to strangle Arash Madani. His voice, lack of knowledge, stupid questions, etc. is driving me crazy.

vCash
    Today: Del Potro, bad back. Raonic, numbness in the serving arm. Davydenko, bronchitis and quit. Murray and Ferrer and a bunch of other seeds out way earlier than one would expect. I'm just as glad Federer's sitting this one out -- too much weirdness.

The women are looking positively normal!

vCash
    Semi between Rafa and Novak - wish I was there in person! If only to avoid the inane low-tier-event-sounding commentary. (Wanting more bad blood between the top four men, seriously?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Semi between Rafa and Novak - wish I was there in person! If only to avoid the inane low-tier-event-sounding commentary.
    I so agree, and on both points.

No other pairing in mens tennis is more exciting than when Rafa and Nole meet. These two bring out the best in each other (tho strangely, Novak had a total meltdown in the tie-break).

vCash
    Marion Bartoli just announced her retirement from tennis! I'm shocked but I wish her the best. It's great that she is going out fresh off her Wimbledon title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Marion Bartoli just announced her retirement from tennis! I'm shocked but I wish her the best. It's great that she is going out fresh off her Wimbledon title.
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
    Exactly... and why ?, she could win some other tournaments as well...

vCash
    To paraphrase Sinatra: She did it her way...

Maybe she figures she's had the biggest win of her life and nothing else in tennis is ever going to be as good, so she's going out on top. She said that her body hurts, and she is 28.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpion/2658229/

vCash
    Hey, I'm not mad at her. She got her slam and peaced out. Besides, she's 28. It's not like she's a Vaidisova. I wasn't a fan but I hope she finds much enjoyment in her post-tennis life.

vCash
    It is good to go out on the ultimate high. Honestly she was a bit past her prime overall, she was more a consisent threat from late 2007-early 2011 or so, despite that she took a huge opportunity to win a slam and fully deserved it. Most athletes dont get to go out on top though, and even less likely someone who hasnt won alot of big titles can, and she had that chance. I think it is a great decision.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good for Bartoli. I assume she made enough money to retire very nicely at such a young age. She probably would never win another Slam, although in the women's game it seems much more open to surprises. I think she can do this without regretting anything and as you all have said, she is 28. She isn't going out young for the sport.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    All the best Marion!

vCash
    Sharapova has fired Connors already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Sharapova has fired Connors already
    I wonder what happened?

vCash
    ^She said that it wasn't the right choice for this stage of her career. Or something.

Methinks it might have been a clash of stubborn ego's

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast