Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm over the moon for Andy too! I could barely watch yesterday I was so nervous for him. Everyone here is so proud of him, when I went out shopping this morning it was all everyone was talking about in the shops - I still can't believe we've got a Scottish Wimbledon Champion!

vCash
    If only Andy Murray had better results on clay, he'd be contesting for year end #1 with good results in hardcourts, indoors and World Tour Finals - as it is, #2 seed at US Open is pretty much a lock with the win at Wimbledon yesterday (unless Rafael Nadal can somehow win both Montreal and Cincinnati).

vCash
    Didn't get a chance to post yesterday. But Andy's win is one of the best moments in recent sports history. This is why I love tennis, it creates historical and emotional moments like no other sport.

I teared up a little and the atmosphere on the court, on grounds, near Tower Bridge and in Andy's home town were incredible, ie. the crowd standing up during the change overs, Lendl standing up in the players box with the score 5-4 in the 3rd set, Lendl looking almost to tears, and of course Andy!!

On another notes, I DVR'ed the match. At the beginning of the match, BBC ran a fluff piece narrated by Clive Owen called "Meant To Be". I'll see if I can record it and upload it. It was MARVELOUS!!!!!
    Last edited by topaz; 07-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.

vCash
    Happy celebrants at the Wimbledon ball:
    http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/08/phot...imbledon-ball/

Estimated earnings windfall for Andy should top 20 million GBP per year, beyond his prize money:
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/news...Top+Stories%29

On another notes, I DVR'ed the match. At the beginning of the match, BBC ran a fluff piece narrated by Clive Owen called "Meant To Be". I'll see if I can record it and upload it. It was MARVELOUS!!!!!
    I would love to see that.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 07-08-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: to add information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Great response by Bartoli to that. That comment is just as disrespectful to Maria, who has worked damn hard. Her looks haven't won her Grand Slam titles.

So happy about Murray winning! No more hearing about Fred Perry and the 77-year-and-counting title drought! And Murray really did play brilliantly and showed physical and emotional grit. I think he can thank Del Potro for knocking the stuffing out of Djokovic two days ago, though Novak has come back after other grueling semifinals and won, so all credit to Murray. And I actually thought it was a pretty good match? Good ball striking, not a ton of unforced errors, lots of hard-fought points. I enjoyed it.
    I also think it was a good match as well - I was surprised to see some on here were disappointed with it but I guess they wanted to see a 5 setter. I was so nervous when he came to serve for the match and lost the 3 championship points - how he hold his nerve to fight off the 3 break points was gruelling to watch so I can't even imagine what it was like to play them!!

Every single paper here in the UK had Andy on the front cover as well as souvenir editions etc. Poor guy only got 1 hours sleep last night what with the press then the ball and then the TV interviews today and the visit to Downing Street - he must be exhausted!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Happy celebrants at the Wimbledon ball:
    http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/08/phot...imbledon-ball/

Estimated earnings windfall for Andy should top 20 million GBP per year, beyond his prize money:
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/news...Top+Stories%29

I would love to see that.
    Marion looked great!

Seeing Ivan in a tux with Andy. Lendl is in my top 5 favorite players of all time.

Did anyone see the WTA Loves 40 presentation. 17 of the 21 #1 players of the WTA got together.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/01/phot...ifer-capriati/

LOOK AT DINARA SAFINA....http://siusopen.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=610&h=495

Monica looks good too.

vCash
    I also think it was a good match as well - I was surprised to see some on here were disappointed with it
    I had rarely seen Andy play with such determination and resolve.
    Even when he was behind, you knew that he could - and would - do what was needed to win,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    With my record for predictions, I say: just give Bartoli the trophy
    Unbelievable!

I'm way behind cuz I don't currently get ESPN, and I'd need the right tv cable/ digital provider in order to get ESPN360 tennis coverage online. I did catch the encore of women's and men's finals on ABC's weak limited network coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Needless to say I'm pissed that I couldn't watch live finals and semifinals.

Bartoli had been there before and she knew she was lucky to be there again. No butterflies, just pure determination. Kudos! Although she didn't even mention Monica Seles during the award ceremony, Domshabfan. Lisicki, now that she has a taste of a Wimbledon final, will surely make it back there.

Surprised that Djokovic didn't extend the men's final to four or five sets, but I guess he was depleted from the Del Po match and also knew he was up against not only Murray, but the entire United Kingdom in addition to the murderous on court heat.

ETA: The men's final did not have the kind of edge of your seat tension and excitement that five-setters have, and that last year's final had of course. The heat made it hard for both players, but having got there again by the skin of his teeth, Murray did not have plans to lose this one. There were some exciting moments during the match. The final game was a nail biter with Nole giving Murray a bit more of a run for his money. As a Lendl fan, I was quite happy for Lendl too in the final moments of the match. Its a great story Lendl teaming up with Andy and helping Andy slough off 77 years of drought in becoming a British Wimbledon champion and a Grand Slam champion, but moreover helping Andy win the championship that eluded him during his illustrious career.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Either way, the mountain known as Nadal at the French stands in his way. I think that man will keep winning the French until he hits middle age....
    Very few players stand in Murray's way at Wimbledon, USO, and the AO, but a HOST of them stand in his way at RG. I think that even with a draw without the names Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer, the possibility of Murray winning or making the finals of RG is extremely small.

But, I still don't understand why Andy's game doesn't translate well on clay. It seems taylor-made for the surface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I
    Every single paper here in the UK had Andy on the front cover as well as souvenir editions etc. Poor guy only got 1 hours sleep last night what with the press then the ball and then the TV interviews today and the visit to Downing Street - he must be exhausted!!
    Yes he must have been exhausted but he certainly didn't look it He's fit as a fiddle
    I did feel a little sorry for him though .He did a lot of interviews yesterday answering the same questions over and over again .I really liked his interview with Holly Willoughby and The One Show.
    Maybe he'll take a holiday now .

vCash

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Yes he must have been exhausted but he certainly didn't look it He's fit as a fiddle
    I did feel a little sorry for him though .He did a lot of interviews yesterday answering the same questions over and over again .I really liked his interview with Holly Willoughby and The One Show.
    Maybe he'll take a holiday now .
    Agreed - his response to Willoughby was funny - 'Why would I tell you I've only known you for 10 minutes' - upon being asked for the umpteenth time when he was going to propose to Kim. That and should he be knighted for winning Wimbledon - for goodness sake he is only 26 let him get that reward at the end of his career otherwise there will be no way to reward him for (hopefully) winning more slams and hopefully another Wimbledon or 2!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Very few players stand in Murray's way at Wimbledon, USO, and the AO, but a HOST of them stand in his way at RG. I think that even with a draw without the names Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer, the possibility of Murray winning or making the finals of RG is extremely small.

But, I still don't understand why Andy's game doesn't translate well on clay. It seems taylor-made for the surface.
    His movement doesn't translate well to clay, for whatever reason. In the build-up to this year's clay season much was made about how he and Lendl were making adjustments, adapting his game, but in the end he was IMO wise to skip RG. I agree, even if Nadal's years of clay dominance are at an end, there are at least 5-6 other guys who would hold an edge over Murray on dirt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

It comes down to lack of natural slide on the surface that Andy hasn't yet figured out. Also, his use of drop shots and slices throughout the rallies doesn't work as effectively on clay vs. grass or even hard-courts.

vCash
    That and should he be knighted for winning Wimbledon - for goodness sake he is only 26 let him get that reward at the end of his career otherwise there will be no way to reward him for (hopefully) winning more slams and hopefully another Wimbledon or 2!![/QUOTE]

Do you not think if Bradley Wiggins got a knighthhood for TDF and olympic gold Andy's achievements are similar ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post

Do you not think if Bradley Wiggins got a knighthhood for TDF and olympic gold Andy's achievements are similar ?
    Wiggins got his after not just the TDF & 2012 OGM, but a ten year pro career that included 6 world championship titles, and 1 other OGM in 2004 and 2 in 2008. I see it more as a honour for all his achivements that have done a huge amount to raise the profile of cycling in this country. Given that he's now said he might never do the Tour again, it's a fitting cap on his career. Likewise, it would be more appropriate for Andy to receive a knighthood towards the end of his career too, not just for winning one tournament.

vCash
    I didn't know Bradley's career achievements so I can see why now.I'd never even heard of him before the olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Wiggins got his after not just the TDF & 2012 OGM, but a ten year pro career that included 6 world championship titles, and 1 other OGM in 2004 and 2 in 2008. I see it more as a honour for all his achivements that have done a huge amount to raise the profile of cycling in this country. Given that he's now said he might never do the Tour again, it's a fitting cap on his career. Likewise, it would be more appropriate for Andy to receive a knighthood towards the end of his career too, not just for winning one tournament.
    Agreed. However I think the Prime Minister himself has suggested Andy get a knighthood which I'm sure was said in the heat of the moment after the win on Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised if people are now regretting those comments. As one of the sports pages said today - not sure which one - it could make life really difficult for Andy on tour if the organisers of each event decided to refer to him as Sir Andy prior to each match. Also Andy himself might not want to Knighthood now - but if he declined (and he could) would it be re-offered (I suspect it would). The comments by one are all are a gut reaction to the Wimbledon win - no doubt in my mind he will eventually be offered a knighthood but not juts yet - as I said let it be a reflection on his entire career as many of the other knighthoods have been.

vCash
    Wrong thread
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 07-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Domshabfan, you're in the wrong thread.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Domshabfan, you're in the wrong thread.
    haha, my bad...

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast