Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Was the Lisicki vs Kanepi match interesting to watch? I know Lisicki took it in straight sets, but the scores don't always tell the story.

Those tennis fans in the U.S., what kind of job do you feel ESPN is doing with the full Wimbledon coverage this year?

Vacant
    vCash
    No it wasn't. Kanepi lost serve to open and just kind of gave up from there. Lisicki had her own meltdown service game early in the second. She was good enough but not on the same level as yesterday.

vCash
    Watching Li Na is like watching Sasha Cohen - always imploding when they're on the cusp of winning. Lucky for Li that she's in the right sport and from the right country to have made more dough than Sasha could ever dream of out of always being the bridesmaid and never the bride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    No it wasn't. Kanepi lost serve to open and just kind of gave up from there. Lisicki had her own meltdown service game early in the second. She was good enough but not on the same level as yesterday.
    Okay, thanks. I'm not able to catch the matches on ESPN.

Jeez, I guess Lisicki is lucky she wasn't facing a more determined, higher level player in the QF after that great win over Serena. If Robson had made it past Kanepi which she was more than capable of doing, and then had the fortitude to battle Lisicki with the crowd behind her ... Who knows what could have happened? But ah well, if Lisicki doesn't bring up her level again, she may not make it to the finals. Although, Lisicki with her power serve, will have an excellent chance against Radwanska (who looks like she's going to take the third and final set against Li Na).

With the way this final draw is looking, Serena must be having a good cry and steeling herself to handle tight moments better against admittedly tough opponents like Lisicki, who still was very beatable. When it counted against Serena, Lisicki kept her resolve and was more determined to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Jeez, I guess Lisicki is lucky she wasn't facing a more determined, higher level player in the QF after that great win over Serena. If Robson had made it past Kanepi which she was more than capable of doing, and then had the fortitude to battle Lisicki with the crowd behind her ... Who knows what could have happened? But ah well, if Lisicki doesn't bring up her level again, she may not make it to the finals. Although, Lisicki with her power serve, will have an excellent chance against Radwanska (who looks like she's going to take the third and final set against Li Na).
    Sabine was as good as she needed to be today. Of course there would be a drop off from yesterday, but there was nothing in the match that made me believe that she would have struggled against Robson, or that she'll have no chance for the rest of the tournament.

vCash
    Too bad Li just lost to Aga 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-2, could have been the other way around, with Li 6-4, 6-4. The one unchallenged serve, crafty medical timeout and rain delay perhaps ruined the momentum for Li...but kudos to Aga for hanging in there, and picked up her groundstroke pace on the 3rd set. A fun match all around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Sabine was as good as she needed to be today. Of course there would be a drop off from yesterday, but there was nothing in the match that made me believe that she would have struggled against Robson, or that she'll have no chance for the rest of the tournament.
    ^^ Yeah, I didn't get to see the Lisicki vs Kanepi match, and of course a drop-off in intensity is to be expected. Still the fact remains, since a leveling off in intensity and emotion is normal after a big match, Sabine is fortunate that she didn't have to face a higher level, more determined player in the QF.

I too doubt Sabine would have struggled against Robson. But if indeed Kanepi "gave up," I'm thinking that Sabine having to come back so soon to play someone like Robson (especially if the crowd factored in and Robson was up to the challenge), it would have made for an interesting match and Sabine could not have afforded too much of a letdown in that case. She might have needed to up her level. However, the way Sabine has been playing, she deserved a bit of a break in the QF. It seems the Wimbledon Gods are smiling right along with Sabine. IOW, so far, everything seems to be swinging in favor of the Smiling Assassin.

ETA:

Some great post-match Li vs Radwanska analysis by Mats Wilander and co-anchor on BBC's live online Wimbledon coverage!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    This second set of the Bartoli-Stephens match is just a break fest!! Marion held the first game but every other one has been a break of serve Bartoli trying to serve it out.

ETA: she of course didn't and Sloane finally held in the 2nd set. Currently on serve!!
    Last edited by Lorac; 07-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    Not surprised Sloan lost ... She has one top twenty win (Serena) ever.
    Kudos to Bartol!

Omg Kvitova just lost too Radwanska could not ask for a better chance to win a slam. .

vCash
    Well my money is on Lisiki to win this now. But at least we will have a new name on the trophy come Saturday evening

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Well my money is on Lisiki to win this now. But at least we will have a new name on the trophy come Saturday evening
    I wish Radwanska Lisicki were the final!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    OMG. I am so excited for Sloane right now. She just has to keep it together, and she could be in her first final!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Sloane will win this thing.
    Not this year.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Not surprised Sloan lost ... She has one top twenty win (Serena) ever.
    Kudos to Bartol!

Omg Kvitova just lost too Radwanska could not ask for a better chance to win a slam. .
    I'm also surprised re Kvitova not making it through. Well, surprisingly there were a lot of surprises this Wimbledon. The fact Sloane lost in the QF is, in the scheme of what's been happening at SW19 this summer, definitely not surprising against the gutsy Bartoli. OTOH, not a bad effort for Sloane to get to the Wimbledon QF this year. Glass half full and all that.

Ah, too bad Radwanska vs Lisicki is not the final match. That should be a good 3-setter hopefully. The Smiling Assassin against the deceptive sleight of hand artist.

Bartoli into the final perhaps? Does anyone here know more about Flipkens as a player?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I wish Radwanska Lisicki were the final!
    Me too! So happy both of these ladies won today! The Radwanska-Li match was great.

Sloane and Petra. Flipkins played really well though.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am going to root for a Bartoli vs. Lisicki final. Bartoli has always been someone I rooted for because she is a clone of Seles, who was never able to win here.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I'm going out on a limb and picking Flipkens to make it to the finals.

I have a feeling that this will be a forgetable women's final. Whom ever wins it, I doubt will win another GS.

vCash
    Unlike Sloane Stephens, Kirsten Flipkens might have a better shot against Marion Bartoli if she uses her all court game - using slices, angles and perhaps mixing up short with long shots to keep Marion honest and get her moving. Sloane was terrible on second serve, and spent too much time hitting down the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am going to root for a Bartoli vs. Lisicki final. Bartoli has always been someone I rooted for because she is a clone of Seles, who was never able to win here.
    The way the courts play today, Monica would be deadly on grass. The spin and angles Monica would hit her shots would be non returnable on today's grass courts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Unlike Sloane Stephens, Kirsten Flipkens might have a better shot against Marion Bartoli if she uses her all court game - using slices, angles and perhaps mixing up short with long shots to keep Marion honest and get her moving. Sloane was terrible on second serve, and spent too much time hitting down the middle.
    Sloane's serve was awful and it killed her today. She won FIVE points on her serve in the entire second set. That's ridiculous!

Marion so far hasn't dropped a set. Radwanska and Lisicki are 1-1; Flipkens & Bartoli have never played.

As far as the final goes....
    Radwanska leads Flipkens 2-0.
    Radwanska leads Bartoli 7-0
    Lisicki leads Flipkens 2-1
    Lisicki leads Bartoli 3-1

I think whoever wins from Lisicki or Radwanska will take it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wow, I didn't recall that Seles never won at Wimbledon. I'm sure she would have eventually if not for being stabbed at that tournament in Germany.

We can't forget that Aggie Rad was in the Wimbledon final last year. She doesn't have a power serve but she's got a lot of different shots, smarts, deceptiveness and staying power. ITA that whoever makes it out of the Lisicki/ Radwanska match should win. But then again this is the surprising Wimbledon 2013.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast