Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

vCash
    We've just seen the biggest upset of the tourney. Dang it. Serena lost the 3rd set 6-4. She was broken her last 3 games.

Serena looked super nervous and beat herself.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i can picture a bunch of network tv executives out on a ledge right now
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Well I'm happy Congrats Lisicki! She played great, never gave up. Ah, she's so emotional in the interview. Nice.

vCash
    I love Sabine. I wish she could get it together on other surfaces.

vCash
    Wimbledon folks can't be happy. They only have marquee players left on the men's side.

I really do get Brit crowd, they were cheering for the underdog to beat the champion?

vCash
    The BBC are now interviewing Sabine - she is in tears - such a lovely girl. I hope she can keep her feet in the ground as the quarters are tomorrow!!!

Serena was up a break in the 3rd set and 40-15 on her serve and then we had several breaks of serve before Sabine managed to hold on. Serena really looked out played in the end there - Sabine beat her - Serena did not give it to her

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    (((Serena)))

Well I think this is great for Kivitova though.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash

Surely the craziest Grand Slam of all time!!!!!!
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Sabine played her best tennis but Serena did not. Serena 55% first serve percentage in the 3rd. Her nerves got to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

I really do get Brit crowd, they were cheering for the underdog to beat the champion?
    We Brits love an underdog - and she played so well and kept smiling throughout It's not as if the crowd don't like Serena but as I said we love an underdog!!

vCash
    Are there any top seeds left?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    The BBC are now interviewing Sabine - she is in tears - such a lovely girl. I hope she can keep her feet in the ground as the quarters are tomorrow!!!

Serena was up a break in the 3rd set and 40-15 on her serve and then we had several breaks of serve before Sabine managed to hold on. Serena really looked out played in the end there - Sabine beat her - Serena did not give it to her
    Serena did give it to her, her nerves and serve were average today, at best.

vCash
    Serena did give it to her, her nerves and serve were average today, at best.
    We'll agree to disagree on this point

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Serena lost?!!!????
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Dang it! I missed the Lisicki vs Serena match. I was looking forward to that one. They call Sabine the Smiling Assassin. Should add to that the Killer of French Open Champions at Wimbledon!

Sabine played her best tennis but Serena did not. Serena 55% first serve percentage in the 3rd. Her nerves got to her.
    Although I missed seeing the match, I did see when they were leaving the court, and I think its great how gracious Serena was in losing. She obviously respects Sabine's game/ power serve.

Having listened to the BBC live online commentators, I'd have to agree with topaz that Serena was nervous in the final games, and also that she felt a lot of pressure going into the match. That doesn't have to mean though that Serena necessarily "handed" the match to Lisicki. Serena just wasn't at her best when it mattered most and the crowd did not give her much support either. Sometimes that makes it even more psychologically difficult, particularly when you have a tough opponent with enormous belief in themselves across the net. Also, if you are kind of cruising early in a tournament as a number one champion, that's not always a good thing. It doesn't hurt and it can sometimes help to get through at least one difficult match early before meeting a tougher opponent in the 4th round or QF round. This type of match should probably have occurred later in the tournament but perhaps Lisicki's numbers for the year aren't as balanced as they should be for her talent, which led to her lower seeding here.

In addition to her killer serve, Sabine had enormous confidence from having beaten 3 French Open champions in her last 3 Wimbledon appearances. Instead of worrying about Serena's strengths, Sabine was keeping her own winning record in mind as a good luck factor going into the match. Although it was not just luck that won the match for Sabine. It was more a combination of Sabine's talent, her love for playing at Wimbledon, her enormous enthusiasm in embracing everything even the tough points against a dominant player, along with Serena's tensing up in the big moments and Sabine hanging in there that likely are the key factors for SL.

We Brits love an underdog - and she played so well and kept smiling throughout It's not as if the crowd don't like Serena but as I said we love an underdog!!
    Come on! Few crowds, not even U.S. Open crowds majorly root for Serena Williams. Sure, there are probably plenty of fans in the stadium who are Serena fans and do root for her. The majority though -- Serena's winning ways garner her respect, often grudging, but during matches most of the fans and the commentators are always pulling for her opponents. That's not even debatable IMHO.

This really shakes things up. I had been hoping to see a Robson vs Williams match-up in the quarters. But the way Lisicki is playing, I hope she brings it in the quarters against Kanepi, and then it should be interesting to see whether Radwanska or Li pull it out to meet Lisicki (if she can rise again to the occasion against Kanepi).

Since Kvitova is a past champion, she'll likely get to the finals now unless Stephens has enough grit and nerve to claw her way to the finals.

Having beaten Serena, it would be fitting if Lisicki could win it all.

vCash
    I think Li NA is going to win it.

vCash
    ^^ Li Na you think will take out Radwanska and Lisicki then (if Lisicki beats Kanepi)? So then do you think Kvitova or Stephens will get to the final, or someone else from the bottom half? And are you saying no matter which bottom half player gets to the final, Li Na's game and nerve will be strong enough to take any of them out?

This year's Wimbledon has been soooo NOT predictable, IMHO.

vCash
    Bartoli will win this one and pay tribute to Monica Seles in doing so

ETA: If not i will be happy with Verdasco winning it all, pleaseeeeeeee

vCash
    ^^ Hmmm, is that said tongue-in-cheek?

I respect Bartoli, yes, and who knows? Is Bartoli a friend of Seles' btw? It should indeed be a good match re Bartoli vs Stephens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post

Surely the craziest Grand Slam of all time!!!!!!
    You speak the truth!

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast