Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This press conference is painful. Nadal didn't want to sit there and make excuses but the reporters insisted. When he wouldn't, they began offering up excuse after excuse and asking him if that was it. Those reporters need a good lashing from their boss.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Darcis certainly deserved the win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This press conference is painful. Nadal didn't want to sit there and make excuses but the reporters insisted. When he wouldn't, they began offering up excuse after excuse and asking him if that was it. Those reporters need a good lashing from their boss.
    Nadal is much too professional to make excuses - even though anyone who watched the match could see his knee was causing him a huge problem with his movement throughout. However Nadal isn't going to take anything away from Darcis and that is probably why he played on when many players may have retired injured and then use the injury as an excuse!! I hope he can rest and recover for the US Open!!

vCash
    I think their bosses might lash them if they didn't ask pointed questions about the reason for the loss (ie, was it the knee). Certainly press conferences run the same way in FS when an adult skater (Chan, Trankov, VirtueMoir, Kostner, etc.) has a subpar outing. Someone under 18 might get a bye.

vCash
    to the tennis journalists. ^^ Seriously, I wouldn't compare half-assed questions from skating commentators to half-assed questions from tennis journalists. The majority of questions in most press conferences, particularly sports-related are just BAD and borderline idiotic. Why verbally lash athletes to a post and beat what's obvious out of them???

Ah, it's too bad re Nadal being out of Wimbledon so early. And his being out doesn't have much to do with the seeding committee being correct or not. The seeding at Roland Garros certainly didn't take into account Rafa's dominance and his winning record on clay. The upshot is they didn't give Nadal a huge amount of credit for his heart and ability. I still feel he should have at least been seeded fourth at Wimbledon and second at the French Open. Sure its moot at this point, but seeding affects the relative difficulty of athletes' draws as well. In any case, plenty of top-seeded players have gone out in the first round unexpectedly at Grand Slams. That can happen in the game of tennis. The fact Nadal made it to the French Open final and won for the eighth time is all the more amazing.

ITA that Nadal's comeback was extremely difficult (even he and members of his family and doctors felt it might be impossible). All Hail to Nadal for winning his record 8th French Open final! And kudos to him for making the effort at Wimbledon too and not wimping out. In the first place, it took a lot from Nadal for him to raise his level and adapt his game to winning on hard and grass courts, so with his injury (the short turnaround time for Wimbledon) and the effort Grand Slams take, that's the way it goes re being outplayed in the first round at Wimbledon this year.

I adore and respect Nadal's fighting spirit! I salute him! He's a forever Champion no matter what the future holds for him re his tennis career.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-24-2013 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    Not the best day for American women today but awesome with for Puerto Rico Monica Puig over Sara Errani. She has tons of potential. It would be nice to see a top player from Puerto Rico.

vCash
    That was a shocker to wake up to! Just... wow.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Just saw this tweet from a tennis journalist I admire:
    #Nadal on his upset loss: "At the end, it's not a tragedy. That's the sport"
    I like how Nadal keeps things in perspective.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    On another note, Serena's interview with Essence Magazine was pretty good. I did not know how serious Serena's pulmonary embolism situation was.

http://www.essence.com/2013/06/07/se...%99-questions/

Serena was rushed from the plane to Cedar Sinai unable to breathe and could not walk because her legs were too swollen. They(doctors) did not think she was going to make it. She said she had to smile in the hospital because she was thinking her parents had already lost a daughter and tried to smile so they would not worry so much.

She had to take blood thinning injections for weeks after, which she says she had to adminster herself. She said she was very depressed during this time.

If you can buy the magazine I would recommend the article. Serena discusses her body image and how the public reacts to that.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Wasn't expecting Nadal to win but this is still surprising. Agreed he did not look his best at the French but grass exposes so many more of his weakness.

The seeding committee was proven right after all.
    Unless you consider that perhaps he was still seeded higher than he should have been, based on this outcome.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Delighted for Hewitt!

vCash
    Lleyton Hewitt is having a bit of a renaissance of late - he made the semis at Queens and has just beaten Stan Wawrinka in straight sets and he played brilliantly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Unless you consider that perhaps he was still seeded higher than he should have been, based on this outcome.
    Not at all. As was explained earlier there is a formula and Nadal was seeded 5th based on that. He is a 2 time winner here as well as making the final 3 other times so he has proven his ability to play well on grass. He was most certainly not seeded higher than he should have been as he is the current world #5 anyways based on the current rankings. He clearly had an issue with his knee - anyone watching the match could see that - and that - and Darcis incredible play - is the reason he went out.

vCash
    deleted - double post!!

vCash
    ESPN is really aggravating me. Nadal lost, we get it. This is not the first big upset at Wimbledon and will not be the last. They have spent all afternoon replaying those points and showing interviews and doing commentary on the loss. What would they have done had Nadal won in straights? Actually showed some tennis matches?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Once again, just as at the French Open, the outcome at Wimbledon re Nadal has little or nothing to do with what went into the seeding committee's decision-making. Using your logic, Nadal should have been seeded 1st at the French Open and shouldn't have been seeded at all at Wimbledon.

vCash
    Glad to see Lucic winning a match here.
    -Brian

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Once again, just as at the French Open, the outcome at Wimbledon re Nadal has little or nothing to do with what went into the seeding committee's decision-making. Using your logic, Nadal should have been seeded 1st at the French Open and shouldn't have been seeded at all at Wimbledon.
    What about "perhaps" and "higher than he should have been" causes translation to the absolutism contained in your final sentence, much less the graemlin?

I will say that your comment is one of the shortest I have ever seen you make on any topic, and that is a cause for celebration. Keep up the good work.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Go old man Lleyton! Not bad for a guy with one hip? no hips? How many surgeries has he had? He really loves to play, and I say more power to him, even though he's a walking PR disaster.

And if I want a b-fest, I've got Maria and Serena. Don't need one here! I think everyone here agrees that Nadal is a very good tennis player, even if we vary in our opinion of exactly how great he is.

vCash
    Glad to see Lucic winning a match here.
    Mirjana has 220 points to defend here from last year (third round + qualifier), so she really needed to get some points here to not drop too far down the rankings.

Now if Ferrer can kindly find his way out of the draw, that would be great.
    Interestingly, a lot of people are picking a longer shot like Dimitrov or Nishikori over Ferrer to get out of that quarter.

Not the best day for American women today but awesome with for Puerto Rico Monica Puig over Sara Errani. She has tons of potential. It would be nice to see a top player from Puerto Rico.
    This result is interesting because Monica lost to Melanie Oudin in Eastbourne qualifications last week, so that's quite the change in fortunes in one week.

Nadal was always going to be vulnerable to upsets during the first week of Wimbledon when the courts are still fresh.
    There is the "what if" scenario should Nadal have at least have played a couple matches in Halle two weeks ago even if he's was going to lose early (as he did last year to Philipp Kohlschreiber). The adjustment to grass is going to be more difficult for certain players compared to others. Interestingly, Nadal was practising with Kevin Anderson over the weekend to get used to playing against a tall big server and hitter on grass (Anderson is 6 ft 8).

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast