Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-20-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Nadal has been seeded 5th (his current ATP ranking) at Wimbledon - Ferrer is 4th: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...imbledon-seeds
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/sp...wimbledon.html
    OK that makes no sense to me. Nadal should be 4 - I am surprised Wimbledon has not tweaked the rankings here as they have been known to do that in prior years. No offense to Ferrer but he is not truly the world #4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Yeah this whole "what I supposedly said" shtick gets old. Either you said it or you didn't- own up to it. Lord knows you're not the only person in this country who feels that way.

Up until that part of the interview this was the funniest thing I've read in a while (the not-so-subtle jab at another top-5 player- the writer thought she was referring to Sharapova but I thought it could have been Azarenka- ).

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Being a famous tennis player does not make blaming the victim OK. And I don't see how the two are related - Venus Williams,f or example, has always been a class act.
    Yes, I agree; Venus seems like a fine girl. As for Serena, it doesn't matter whether she's done little other than playing tennis, at the age of 31 she should know better.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    OK that makes no sense to me. Nadal should be 4 - I am surprised Wimbledon has not tweaked the rankings here as they have been known to do that in prior years. No offense to Ferrer but he is not truly the world #4.
    The Wimbledon Committee probably should have used their discretion in switching Nadal and Ferrer.

As it is currently, for the men, Wimbledon actually applies a formula combining ATP Ranking Points with grass court tournament points within the past 24 months to determine seeding (that's where the tweaking can perhaps occur mathematically).

In 2012, Ferrer had a tournament victory in 's-Hertogenbosch, a quarter-final at Wimbledon, and a round of 16 at the Olympics (also at Wimbledon). In 2011, Ferrer had a round of 16 at Wimbledon.

In 2012, Nadal only had 2nd round at Wimbledon, but he did have a finalist appearance at 2011 Wimbledon.

Ferrer still came out ahead when all the points were added.

vCash
    Thanks for explaining, Seerek. I didn't realize (or had forgotten) there was a formula used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Will Serena ever learn? So ignorant. I will never be rooting for her. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...t-one-20130618
    This slam-bam intentionally cheap-shot article, contains more 'tude swaggering language from the writer than I’ve ever heard Serena utter herself, nothwithstanding the famous “stick my racket” rant Serena spewed at the four-eyed U.S. Open lineswoman. I’d love to hear what Johnny Mac in his day would have shouted to any lines caller who yelled out a questionable borderline “foot fault” at such a penultimate point in a match in which Serena btw was busy beating herself anyways with lots of help from Clijsters! Jeez, the writer sure paints a monster truck image of Serena and then attempts to embellish it with selective Serena quotes. On the one hand, the curiously bi-polar writer is seemingly trying to say that Serena for all her dominance just doesn't get enough respect, which is accurate. But with the way Serena is purposely being viewed/ presented by this writer, is it any wonder? Obviously, Serena intimidates some people on and off the court simply because she doesn't look or play tennis like everybody else on tour.

ITA with skatesindreams, that the article is full of hyperbole. Spoiled or unspoiled, Serena and especially Venus strike me as young women who have worked hard against difficult odds and deservedly earned what they have accomplished in life and on the tennis court. Both sisters have uniquely impacted the sport of tennis but yet have often been disrespected by quite a few tennis journalists, commentators and fans over the years. Venus and Serena certainly do have different personalities, which is not unusual among sisters. Unfortunately Serena has repeatedly been taken to task for having a fiery temperament, a bad-ass mien, and a proud spirit that tend to be at odds with her name. So what that Serena like most tennis brats has for most of her life led a sheltered/ pampered existence and thus is not so much in touch with the realities of real life!? The writer’s clear intent is to set Serena up, in the same way that his language and lead-ins set up the selective Serena quotes.

Most of the quotes are inserted in a way that provides an intentionally negative slant/ pay-off to support the writer's exaggerated lead-in claims and overall monster truck, spoiled diva image he is painting. I don't see anything wacky about Serena’s quote re having to give something up for success, except for the reference to having a baby be like her "road dog." But then, apparently just like Sharapova, Serena loves her dog, so I doubt she was intentionally being derogatory or dismissive about having or raising a baby. After all, it usually takes the direct experience of having a child for many people (athletes or non-athletes) to grow in awareness of the responsibility entailed, OR NOT.

The entire article is written in a supercilious, rah-rah/ dig-dig intentionally belittling manner toward Serena and her family. Par for the course that the writer throws the penultimate below the belt “gotcha” by quoting Serena’s rambling off-the-cuff response to a television newsflash report about the Steubenville rape case. As if what Serena or any uninformed casual viewer has to say is enlightened commentary that needs to be publicly scrutinized for political correctness. The fact that particular word-for-word quote is the lengthiest uninterrupted non-tennis related quote in the article reeks of the writer’s malicious intent and his apparent contempt for Serena. Yes, Mr. Rodrick, your story speaks for itself. Unsurprisingly, in the lead-up to Wimbledon, even the “Serena’s Non-Apology” non-news report is completely biased against Serena. As usual, the Williams sisters, and in particular Serena, as the unequivocally number one women’s tennis player in the world, can’t win for winning.

H*ll, IMO, the least non-derogatory, albeit tongue-cheek, bit of blather in the Rolling Stone article, is the writer's declaration that "even dating Brett Ratner couldn't stop [Serena]."

In this very non-fascinating, non-revelatory piece of muck-rake we have learned what is already crystal clear: Serena Williams still has a lot of growing up/ waking up to do. So do most of us, including Mr. I’ve got it all on tape Rodrick.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Burning questions for Wimbledon: http://tennis.si.com/2013/06/18/wimb...-rafael-nadal/

Draw will be out tomorrow (Friday).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Federer & Nadal projected to meet in the quarters, winner to meet Murray in the semis. Djokovic's path to the final suddenly looks pretty simple!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    The Wimbledon Committee probably should have used their discretion in switching Nadal and Ferrer.

As it is currently, for the men, Wimbledon actually applies a formula combining ATP Ranking Points with grass court tournament points within the past 24 months to determine seeding (that's where the tweaking can perhaps occur mathematically).

In 2012, Ferrer had a tournament victory in 's-Hertogenbosch, a quarter-final at Wimbledon, and a round of 16 at the Olympics (also at Wimbledon). In 2011, Ferrer had a round of 16 at Wimbledon.

In 2012, Nadal only had 2nd round at Wimbledon, but he did have a finalist appearance at 2011 Wimbledon.

Ferrer still came out ahead when all the points were added.
    Yeah, thanks for the explanation, but still!? Obviously, Rafa has been out with injury! Head-to-head Rafa is clearly ahead of Ferrer in terms of wins, plus on grass I'd be surprised if Rafa doesn't have more wins than Ferrer overall. They dumped on Rafa too re the French Open seedings -- seemingly trying to make things as hard as they possibly can for an amazing player who has come back against the odds. Rafa has greatly influenced the way players play the game.

Djoker is clearly favored as usual. In any case, I hope Murray can pull out the Wimbledon victory this year.

vCash
    Yeah, Djokovic was really favored when Nadal fell on his side of the draw at Roland Garros. What on earth are you talking about Nadal being dumped for the French Open seedings?He was out. His ranking took a hit. It's life. Why should players with a "name" be favored?

I don't see what's so surprising, really. Wimbledon has used this formula for ages and have't deviated from it in a long time. Yes, it makes the path harder for the favorites because Nadal has been out, but it is what it is and that's the way the draw crumbles sometimes. If you're the best, the you'll come out on top - see Serena Williams, 2007 Australian Open when she came in ranked 81.

vCash
    Only in the ladies event does the Wimbledon committee have the ability to make major seeding adjustments where they see fit without requiring a formula, but I believe even then, only the top 32 ranked players are considered (i.e. noone outside top 32 can be seeded).

Rafa has greatly influenced the way players play the game.
    Only the future can really tell us if that holds true for players 10-20 years from now.

In some respects I agree about Nadal being influential if we're referring to some of the players of the same generation (born mid 1980s), but the game styles of the players coming up (born 1990 and later) are noticeably different, following more of the styles of the other top men in the top 10.

vCash
    I see Federer making it through to the quarters relatively unscathed, but if Isner is in form, Nadal may not. If Nadal bows out and Federer meets Murray in the semis, then I think Murray has a good chance to beat Nole in the final. I just don't see Nole losing before then; but I didn't see Rosol coming last year, either.

vCash
    ^^ Interesting assessment. Bring it on, Wimbledon!

Yeah sure, oleada* and Seerek, that's the way it is with the seedings. But they definitely made an error in judgement at the French Open. The semi-final match between Djoker and Nadal should have been the final! Seriously, with the way Nadal has owned the French Open and also the way he's been playing on clay this season, he should most definitely have been seeded 2nd at Roland Garros.

I understand about the seedings formula, and sure it's not the first time that the seedings are out of whack and odd. Still, Nadal (even having been out for months and in danger of never playing again), with his championship mettle and winning reputation, he should be given more respect. He should at least be seeded 4th at Wimbledon. Its not as if they've never made adjustments before. OTOH, I'm sure it doesn't ruffle Nadal in any way. It won't change his approach or the way he plays the game. It certainly didn't bother him or keep him from winning his record 8th French Open crown.

As far as influence, Nadal has influenced both the men and the women in the way he scrambles after every ball. I'm not talking about style of play, I'm talking about a battler mentality. Everyone makes more of an effort to run down balls these days more than they ever used to. In part that is due IMO to many players being inspired by the way Nadal plays. Nadal's amazing ability to run down practically every ball is what helped him win that epic 2008 Wimbledon final.

Djoker indeed learned from watching both Federer and Nadal. He had to in order to figure out how to beat them and to prepare himself for what it would take. I admire Djoker because he met the enormous challenge of upping his game (increasing his fitness and dropping his tendency to wilt or give up in tight matches) so that he could indeed win against the toughest champions the game has ever seen. In the process, Djoker made himself a more magnificent player which is a big reason why the men's game continues to be exciting to watch these days.

ETA:
    There was a lulling period of time in the 90s when matches were sometimes boring, and even some of the players themselves seemed bored. I recall the time when Jim Courier was caught reading a book during crossover breaks in one match, albeit not a Grand Slam.

* Also, oleada I have a sneaking suspicion it was felt by some that Djoker might be able to take out Rafa in the French Open semis and reach the final against Roger or Tsonga (especially after Djoker had beaten Rafa at Monte Carlo). Some still seem convinced that Rafa's physical injuries will hamper him. Rafa has proven differently and I hope he still has a lot left in his body, his battling spirit and his game.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-22-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm sorry, but running down balls and having a never give up attitude was not introduced by Nadal. Many many players before have had that same attitude and were commended for it. Nadal is nothing new, he just is one of many who have gotten credit for this never give up style of play.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I'm sorry, but running down balls and having a never give up attitude was not introduced by Nadal. Many many players before have had that same attitude and were commended for it. Nadal is nothing new, he just is one of many who have gotten credit for this never give up style of play.
    Yeah. Ditto.

Maria Sharapova responded to the comments Serena made in her interview tht were supposedly about her and her relationship

Sharapova on Serena's comments : found it "sad" but have big "respect" for Serena's career. But says that if Serena wants to talk abt...Relationships she should start by her own "with her boyfriend who is a married man and is now getting a divorce."
    https://twitter.com/silverslam/statu...29300040605696
    https://twitter.com/carole_bouchard/...30000321597440

vCash
    ^^ Maria probably should be focusing more on her own "relationship" on the court of play with Serena.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Ah, but Nadal raised it to another level entirely in a different era, because obviously the racket technology is far more advanced today. Put the question to Johnny Mac and I'm sure he'll agree re Nadal raising the feat to a new level, but Mac would probably also weigh in that Borg was one of those who had an amazing ability to track down balls in his day.

You can dis Nadal if you like, but he is definitely a unique above-average player, and a commanding champion who is respected and admired by his peers.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Saying Nadal was not the first to do something is not dissing him. It is simply fact. He may be BETTER at it than anyone before him but he did not invent or create this style of play. That is incorrect and false.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    [QUOTE=aftershocks;3943527]^^ Maria probably should be focusing more on her own "relationship" on the court of play with Serena.

Tit for tat, I say! I mean, Serena started the issue and then Maria replies. I'm liking the drama. This top 3 is quite entertaining.

Besides, the Serena/Maria head to head is beyond all hope, so who cares what she says.

And BigB, I could not agree more!

vCash
    FELICIANO!!! AEGON INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION!!!

"Feli...FINALLY!!!" by twinsissv

Blanco means white...
    Azul means blue...
    Spain's tennis players may be cute,
    But none are as handsome as you!
    Sometimes your tennis is shaky,
    You don't always win the game.
    But the ladies think you're gorgeous,
    So your opponent gets the blame!

(then...we call him a dirty name!)

Last edited by twinsissv; 06-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast