Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

vCash
    Nadal won, hurray!!!

vCash
    That was an awesome semi - deserving of the final really. So sad for Nole - I thought he had it when he broke early in the 5th - but Nadal just doesn't give up. The argument as to who is the GOAT is always going to go on but can anyone doubt that Nadal is the GOAT on clay!! There has been no-one to touch him!!

Now can Ferrer and Tsonga get their match in tonight? They have about 3 hours of daylight - hopefully they can.

vCash
    Thank goodness Rafa pulled it out. I could have screamed at him. Being up a break in the 4th and losing the set.

Rafa's tenaciousness is just incredible. This is what was missing from tennis for seven months.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post

Now can Ferrer and Tsonga get their match in tonight? They have about 3 hours of daylight - hopefully they can.
    Well at this point it looks like it might not be a problem. Where the heck are the french fans for Tsonga? It's half empty

vCash
    Nole
    I wish this had been the final

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Oh spare me the age thing! Serena is 31. Ferrer is almost 31. Haas is 35. Why is 30 the new-20 with everyone except Roger?

And so what he didn't lose to Donald Young. Tsonga is a great player, but Roger clearly has the more superior clay court game. Roger's game wasn't "off", it simply wasn't there. And that makes the loss much more disappointing. Serena has true desire to win another RG, which is why she was able to snap out of it against Kuznetsova and is now in the finals. It's difficult to believe Roger had such desire.

In regards to losing to Haas last year and going on to win Wimbledon...Roger had already won Rotterdam, Dubai, IW, and Madrid, and was playing with confidence. Making the finals of Gerry Weber was another consistent performance. Today, anything other than a win will be yet another tournament with no title.
    In my opinion, Roger's rigidness to change his game a few years ago and develop other areas of the game is the reason we are seeing more mid round and lopsided loses from him. Roger went how many years without a coach? 3 or 4 years? When he did hire a coach he seemed to not listen to them. Paul Annecone tried to get Roger to buy into his match-specific strategic tactics from 2008 to 2011 in regards to playing Rafa. Roger would always revert back to his comfortable style of play.

I think tennis, skills wise has came easy for Roger. When he needed to work on aspects of his game to elevate him over Rafa, he didn't. Novak, Jo Wil and Andy M have caught up to him skill wise. The other players worked hard, developed their skills and matched up equally if not better to Roger now.

Serena went to France started developing more aspects to her game over a year ago; Serena knew she was coming to twilight of her career and she had to develop other aspects of her game other than hitting the ball hard. Serena's greatest assets has been her athletic prowess and mental strength. Ferrer works extremely hard and gets the most of his talent and size.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Rafa!

Now if Ferrer can just win the other semi, I'll be totally happy.

ETA: And Ferrer won, yay!
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 06-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    Well Tsonga went out like a wet squid unfortunately I know Ferrer will give it his all but I see Nadal making history on Sunday being the first man to win the same Grand Slam title 8 times!!!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Well Tsonga went out like a wet squid
    Damp squib?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-Britain.html

Or Urban Dictionary? (Warning: not really safe for work.)
    Last edited by orientalplane; 06-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    congrats to Rafa. He truly will not give up, he's so tenacious. I think it's fair to say he's the GOAT on clay, but I still think a healthy Guga would've challenged him much more in his early career because Guga had something about him on clay that was hard to define. He was so loosey goosey with amazing movement on clay and a precision backhand. It would have been fun to see him in his prime against Rafa...if only that hip hadn't shortened his career.

I agree about Roger. His skills seem to come easily to him although I'm sure he's worked very hard, but for a little while now it's clear he needs to do something to elevate his game. Yes, he can still beat them when everything is working, but he is much more sporadic in his play. He will be up against players and then the inconsistency comes in with the serve and forehand and once that happens, he can't seem to find a way to win like he used to. I don't think it's age that much either, especially if you look at how over the years older players have had a resurgence, ie. Agassi, now Haas, and even Ferrer is better now than he ever used to be. He needs to change something because except on rare occasions I don't see him winning the big ones anymore and as a huge Roger fan, I hate saying that.

Hoped Tsonga would provide the Cinderella dream story for this French Open, but I think it'll be Serena and Rafa again.

vCash
    Did not want a predictable Nadal/Ferrer final! But I'm happy for Ferrer. Perhaps he can pull off what would be the biggest upset in tennis history.

In regards to Roger...Tsonga has caught up with Roger's skills?? Murray? Based on what, his lone USO title?

I guess I have a much higher opinion of Roger. Skill wise, I think men's tennis has a Big 3, and Roger is among those three. I think he can still win the big matches and titles, which is why I find his recent play so frustrating. This is a player who just last year won a slam, 3 Masters, 6 total titles, made the finals of the Olympics and WTFs, and regained the #1 ranking. When he brings it, Roger's comfortable game is just fine. The problem is that he's not bringing his game. Many of the losses this year are due to him not showing up, or simply going away during a match--and so meekly!! Those in attendance should have booed as he walked off the court.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Boy the finals this year are really predictable.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Did not want a predictable Nadal/Ferrer final! But I'm happy for Ferrer. Perhaps he can pull off what would be the biggest upset in tennis history.

In regards to Roger...Tsonga has caught up with Roger's skills?? Murray? Based on what, his lone USO title?

I guess I have a much higher opinion of Roger. Skill wise, I think men's tennis has a Big 3, and Roger is among those three. I think he can still win the big matches and titles, which is why I find his recent play so frustrating. This is a player who just last year won a slam, 3 Masters, 6 total titles, made the finals of the Olympics and WTFs, and regained the #1 ranking. When he brings it, Roger's comfortable game is just fine. The problem is that he's not bringing his game. Many of the losses this year are due to him not showing up, or simply going away during a match--and so meekly!! Those in attendance should have booed as he walked off the court.
    Roger was in 1 GS final last year.

I don't consider Roger to be in the top # 3 men's tennis in my opinion. Top 3 are Novak, Rafa and Murray.
    Murray has played in 3 out 4 of the last GS finals. Also, Murray has a winning lifetime record against Federer. Murray's game matches up very well against Novak and Roger.

In my opinion Murray has caught up to Roger skill wise; Murray has always had the tools to beat Novak, Rafa and Roger; Murray's issues were injuries, emotional and mental strength. Lendl has helped Murray tremendously in helping Andy grow emotionally and mentally.

Tsonga is improving greatly and he has always had "the game". Tsonga beat Roger at Wimbledon the year before. Roger beat Tsonga in 5th sets at Aussie Open in Jan. You may not believe that Jo Wil and Murray equal Roger skill wise but the matches Roger has played against these two men over the last 2 to 3 years speak alot.

Roger benefited alot from Rafa not being around for half of 2012.

vCash
    She did it. Congrats to Serena.

Maria fought hard but Serena is just.... Serena.

16 GS titles. One of the GOAT!!!

vCash
    Awww...I wanted to hear Serena's French acceptance speech! NBC, why did you cut it?
    ETA: Never mind, she gave the TV speech in French too!
    Last edited by Cheylana; 06-08-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    She did it. Congrats to Serena.

Maria fought hard but Serena is just.... Serena.

16 GS titles. One of the GOAT!!!
    Agreed - and as she is playing so well the question is just how many GS's can she win before her impressive career is over!! She could feasibly get to Graf's 22 and Court's 24 as long as she remains injury free - though that would take some doing. Still one of the greats no doubt!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    what exactly is going on in the stands? what are they protesting?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Don't know about the protest in the stands, but what about the trespasser on court with the flaming flare running behind the umps chair towards Rafa's side of the service court. Crazy and dangerous.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i thought it was all related but who knows

it still seems way too easy to get near a player
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The men's final felt rather anticlimactic. I don't quite understand why the #1 and #3 seeds were in the same half, with the #2 and #4 seeds in the other half. If you worked hard enough to be the #1 seed, shouldn't you be rewarded with a little bit of a "break" by competing against #4 rather than #3?

I certainly would have preferred: Djokovic v. Ferrer in one semi and Nadal v. Federer in the other semi, with Djokovic & Nadal in the final.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast