Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

vCash
    In one of those highly ironic moments, Serena wins back the #1 ranking and then promptly proceeds to lose to Azarenka for the first time in years.

vCash
    Sounds like it was a good match! Hopefully Serena will stay healthy and this will be a rivalry.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Well, Rafa has won the Brazil Open, a victory which must boost his spirits after such a long time off with injury. But it sounds as though he's playing through the pain at least some of the time. Can't wait for the French Open, a tournament he's practically made his own. How much will it knock him back if he can't win this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21494601

Nadal said after his semi-final that the knee was still troubling him and that was again the case against Nalbandian, who was making his own return from an abdominal injury in Brazil after six months out.

"When the knee is feeling better like today I feel like that I can do more of the things that I used to do my entire life," he said. "If the pain is bearable like it was today, then it's fine."
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Well, Rafa has won the Brazil Open, a victory which must boost his spirits after such a long time off with injury. But it sounds as though he's playing through the pain at least some of the time. Can't wait for the French Open, a tournament he's practically made his own. How much will it knock him back if he can't win this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21494601
    Interesting scenario possible where Rafael Nadal will be stuck between #5-8 seed for the French Open because he must defend SF Indian Wells, SF Miami, W Monte Carlo, W Barcelona and W Rome from now until May (about 3000 points). Being seeded #5-#8 could potentially mean having to win against 3 of the top 4 seeds (Ferrer seeded #4) to defend Roland Garros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Sounds like it was a good match! Hopefully Serena will stay healthy and this will be a rivalry.
    I hope so as well. I think that a competitive rivalry between the top 2 would help the WTA.

So far, Serena and Vika are leaving the rest of the tour in the dust, IMO.

vCash
    Kvitova finally broke out of her slump and took the title in Dubai. I don't know what has been up with her this season but it seems she's been playing well for the last couple of weeks, hope she can keep it going.

vCash
    Am looking forward to Indian Wells!

vCash
    Yikes! Arrest warrant for Jennifer Capriati.
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/09/re...arrant-sought/

Sad to hear about her legal problems.

vCash
    Sad.

vCash
    Well, it looks as though Nadal is indeed back, wacky knees and all. And thank goodness Maria slew Caroline W. and her moonball tennis!

Miami is getting a lot of withdrawals! Roger Federer had decided to skip it before his back trouble at IW. Samantha Stosur, Mardy Fish, Ernests Gulbis, Stan Wawrinka, and Radek Stepanek are out. And now Nadal has withdrawn to go back to the gym and work on his leg strength some more. Vika Azarenka is questionable with her foot. I don't know what's up with Tsonga -- injured? He sure played that way against Djokovic at IW. And I guess Del Potro is (still) dealing with a nagging wrist injury.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Andy Murray wins the Sony Open in Miami 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 against David Ferrer. In doing so he becomes the new World No.2 behind Novak Djokovic, who was very surprisingly beaten by Tommy Haas in the fourth round. Murray vs. Ferrer was an exhausting and frustrating match for both players, with many breaks of serve. The No. 2 ranking should help Murray in the French Open and Wimbledon draws.

Meanwhile, as Rottie said, Rafael Nadal looked to be almost back to his old form earlier this month when he won at Indian Wells, though had Ferrer won the match against Murray, he would have overtaken Rafa in the standings.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 03-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Daaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!

vCash
    Ferrer actually overtakes Nadal in the rankings anyway. It will be interesting if Nadal can even overtake Ferrer before RG or not when he is defending so many more points in the clay court season to begin with.

vCash
    Aw shucks. Happy for Murray but was really hoping Ferrer could win another Masters. Still, great tournament for Tommy Haas -- go old guy!

vCash
    David Ferrer has 840 points to defend (F Barcelona, SF Rome, QF Madrid) until now and Roland Garros seeding, while Rafael Nadal has 2,590 points to defend (W Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome and R16 Madrid), so it'll be an combination of Ferrer losing early and Nadal defending his points plus getting further in Madrid to change the rankings by mid-May. Ferrer could gain further points if he gets to at least SF in Monte Carlo.

vCash
    Canada defeats Italy to move onto the Davis Cup semi finals. Great job boys!

vCash
    Good for Raonic to hold his nerve at the end of that match. Seppi didn't give it away, he rally made Raonic earn that match. I was getting nervous at the end of that match. The serve came through for him when he needed it. Canada is going to get trounced by Serbia but for Canada to get this far in Davis Cup is not something I thought I would ever see. Milos has been a rock star for Canadian tennis and I commend him and the entire team for working Canada from Zone Play just a couple of years ago to the Semis of the World Group this year. Kudos
    Kyle

vCash
    JJ had a great Miami & Charleston, losing in the SF and F respectively

vCash
    Strange that Bob and Mike Bryan couldn't win the doubles tie yesterday - yes, Nemad Zimonjic is a well-established doubles player, but was in an "adhoc" pairing with Ilya Bozoljac... I think John Isner could have taken Viktor Troicki had it went to a 5th Rubber.

I think Jelena Jankovic's decision to play Bogota (as the top seed, winning the tournament) just to get more wins under her belt may prove to have been very wise.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Good for Raonic to hold his nerve at the end of that match. Seppi didn't give it away, he rally made Raonic earn that match. I was getting nervous at the end of that match. The serve came through for him when he needed it. Canada is going to get trounced by Serbia but for Canada to get this far in Davis Cup is not something I thought I would ever see. Milos has been a rock star for Canadian tennis and I commend him and the entire team for working Canada from Zone Play just a couple of years ago to the Semis of the World Group this year. Kudos
    Before I work on the three part highlighted portions of your post kyle, allow me a moment to do this....

WAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!

WAY TO GO BOYS!!

Sigh...

Okay then....1st part that's only in bold....As I saw in a post somewhere earlier...

Congratulations Tennis Canada on making it to the Davis Cup Semis!!!

Cdn Tennis Fans : YAY!!!

Yes, you get into the Semis, but you also get to play Serbia *in* Serbia w/Novak on the team.

Cdn Tennis Fans : Oh CRAP!!
    Yes, true, but still gave a good chuckle.

On to the 2nd part bolded and in italics...

You and me both!!! I ended up having to watch the 3rd set cooking Supper and the 4th eating it, and then ran into the living room area to watch what ended up as the final point of the match and jumping first out of the chair and then up and down around the room, I had this stupid look of disbelief and joy on my face according to Mom. When Dad asked what the goofy look was about, all I could do was shake my head and in a tone of complete disbelief and wonder, "I still can't quite believe what just happened."

In a way, I still can't.

3rd part and the part underlined along w/the other two font choices...

You know what I keep thinking now? Can you imagine what Daniel Nestor's feeling tonight/right now? For the majority of the members of that team, Daniel's been their hero and the one thing that links all of the major events in Canadian Tennis until tonight. First w/that unbelievable upset of so many years ago of Edberg in Davis Cup play, to Sydney and Olympic Gold, to all of the respective Doubles Grand Slam events he's won, Daniel's really been the face and inspiration for Canadian Tennis for so long. Then to be part of what will go down as, if not the greatest ever Doubles match played on Canadian soil, then w/out a doubt close to it and help to get us w/in only needing one win today to advance....

Daniel's the one I'm the most thrilled and happy for tonight. Also IMO regardless of what happens in September, tonight? Canadian Tennis WON!!!

Congratulations to the entire Team and nothing but the best of luck in Serbia and September. I know I'll be watching.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast