Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

vCash
    When does Andy play next ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    When does Andy play next ?
    Probably Rogers Cup in Canada in early August.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Thank's

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Hasn't it been renamed Andy's Cup?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Whee, all-Romanian semifinal tomorrow when Halep and Cadantu will play each other in Budapest. Not sure when (if ever) that happened last time in a WTA tournament .

vCash
    Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic have both split from their coaches: http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/11/mari...h-nigel-sears/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow, that's surprising about Maria splitting with her coach.

I hope the next player to do so is Roger.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I didn't realize that Sharapova has a career Slam. I knew she only won a few Slams but the 4 she won are 1 on each of the 4 surfaces. Interesting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Jimmy Connors will be Maria's new coach, apparently.

vCash
    Whoa! That should be... interesting. Did Connors do much for Andy Roddick?

vCash
    ^That's interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Whoa! That should be... interesting. Did Connors do much for Andy Roddick?
    It helped for a bit in terms of getting Roddick out of a funk he was in and had him believing that he could beat Federer. I think Jimmys purpose may be to get Maria to not be scared of Serena.

vCash
    Does anyone think Serena has a chance to overtake Graf as the female GOAT, and if not overtake Navratilova,Evert, and Court for 2nd place. Right now the best ever female players list is probably:

1. Graf
    2. Navratilova
    3. Court
    4. Evert
    5. Serena

How far up can Serena move?

vCash
    Are you mainly referring to the amount of Slams won to decide your rankings? I don't think Graf should be #1, her Slam count is high because Seles was out of the picture for so many years. I know there is no way to know how many Slams Seles may have won but I think almost everyone agrees she would have won quite a few between the stabbing and when she came back in 1996. Graf was great and deserves to be up there but I don't think she is top 2.

Anyway, yes, I do think Serena can move up in the rankings (if we are talking about Slam totals). She has looked so good this year and I truly think Wimbledon was just a blip. Grass is so unforgiving and anyone is able to beat anyone on it, it seems. I think back to all the Slams and it seems to me that Wimbledon is home to the most major upsets and crazy underdog victories.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Most people see Graf as #1. Tennis Channel ranked her #1, so did Tennis Magazine, so does Steve Flink, so do most international tennis polls, so does Virginia Wade and most of the BBC tennis team. The only one who has a case being before her is Navratilova, so #2 is the absolute worst anyone logical could have her, but most have Graf #1 over even her.

If you have her outside top 2 who would you have over her besides Navratilova (who I assume would be 1 of the 2 in that case). Would it be Serena already?

The consensus top 10 women would be something like:

1. Graf
    2. Navratilova
    3. Evert or Court
    5. Serena
    6. Wills or Lenglen
    8. King or Connolly
    10. Seles or Henin or Venus

Although Serena might already be higher than that now. I hope she reaches #1 all time as she is my favorite player.

vCash
    I don't think Connors helped Roddick all that much. Roddick was able to get that win over Federer at Miami, but I think it was more because Roger was physically spent (he had won 3 consecutive tournaments heading into Miami) than anything Connors did.

I'm surprised that Maria chose him, and wonder what she expects to gain from him. I though Hogstedt was excellent for her, and made her more of an all-court player.

vCash

Sets in the City - Tennis 2012 III

I have Nav and Evert #1 and #2 followed by Graf.
    -Brian

vCash
    Evert top 2 all time? She was great but prime to prime she would get spanked by Graf, Navratilova, Serena and even possibly Court, Seles, Venus, Henin. She still has to rank over Venus, Henin, and Seles, since her record is so much better but she probably also couldnt be that high since no matter how great her career is her ability to actually play tennis at the highest level is inferior to other greats. Navratilova beating her 13 times in a row at one point when Evert was still in her prime is testement to that. No matter how great Martina was at the time, it is hard to think of any other best ever contender who would get that owned by anyone in their primes.

vCash
    I remember Navratilova saying Graf was the best of all time too... while Graf said Navratilova was, lol!

1.graf
    2. navratilova
    3. court
    4. seles
    5. serena
    6. henin
    7. evert

I would vote for Graf as #1. Seles would have won more slams in the future, but she and Steffi had some great battles for the titles Monica won, so I'm thinking some would have gone Steffi's way...and then Steffi had some big injury troubles (making the rise of Hingis possible so early) , so who knows what she could have done without her injuries... And remember, Steffi stopped when she hit 30 even though she had just made 2 finals, so it's reasonable to believe she may have won more if she hadn't lost her motivation.

As for Serena, I'd say she's still not that close to Martina N or Steffi or Court. I would say she's around Monica. I would have loved to have seen an in her prime Monica vs. Serena just because the two of them would be like dogs fighting over a bone. I can't decide who would win in a battle of wills.

vCash
    Roger Federer has switched to a larger racket head for Hamburg.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast