Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree Sharapova is the biggest upset. However I think grass is fast becoming her weakest surface...She has only made it past the round of 16 once since 2006...
    You think Maria's upset is bigger than Rafa or Roger's, or are you saying among the women?

vCash
    I was listening to Novak's Day 4 press conference on Tennis Channel and the journalists asked him several questions about Murray having challenged Serena to play a match in Vegas (I hadn't heard that before). Nole seemed surprised too, and he responded, "Why Vegas?" The press kept egging Nole on, asking him which female player he'd like to play against. Unsurprisingly, Nole finally accepted the bait, threw up his hands and said, "Okay, I'll play Sharapova."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    You think Maria's upset is bigger than Rafa or Roger's, or are you saying among the women?
    Her upset is the biggest probably since Roger wasnt a favorite here after the year he has had, and Rafa was 1-2 on grass last year and didnt play a warm up, so nobody knew what to expect from either anyway. I am surprised both went out so early but could have easily seen both going out around round of 16. Maria was expected to make the final, especialy after Azarenka WD earlier the same day, so to most people she is the biggest upset. Although in a way I am disagreeing with that too since Maria on grass is really on decline, and has been for awhile. I dont think any of them are nearly as surprising as if Murray, Djokovic, or most of all Serena were to lose before the semis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It is too bad that Kimiko Date Krumm finds herself playing Serena in the next round. With all of the shock losses and withdrawals, she could have easily found herself playing someone with a great shot of winning. A 42 year old in the Round of 16 would be incredible. I know there is almost no chance but I might be rooting for her against Serena, just because it would be such a big win and mean the world to her, I am sure.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I was listening to Novak's Day 4 press conference on Tennis Channel and the journalists asked him several questions about Murray having challenged Serena to play a match in Vegas (I hadn't heard that before). Nole seemed surprised too, and he responded, "Why Vegas?" The press kept egging Nole on, asking him which female player he'd like to play against. Unsurprisingly, Nole finally accepted the bait, threw up his hands and said, "Okay, I'll play Sharapova."
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to me. Novak & Maria have been friends for years.

vCash
    I'll root for Kimiko tomorrow! She is awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to me. Novak & Maria have been friends for years.
    ^^ It is what it is. Whether or not Murray's challenge to play Serena is serious or not, it appears that Serena was also asked about it during one of her press conferences, and she gave a humorous answer. Likely if true, Murray might be interested in the publicity factor for tennis and/ or playing for charity.

The press was having fun with it in asking Nole too, and I think by pressing Nole to pick a female player he'd like to play, they were anticipating him to pick Maria (as another well known top women's player and of course everyone knows Novak and Maria are friends). The press was having fun with it and Nole was being lighthearted in response. I do think the press went on with the questioning a bit too much. Nole finally said that he didn't have anything interesting to say about Murray and Serena possibly playing each other. There was nothing combative about the exchange, nor anything unfriendly about Nole's responses.

vCash
    Yay - Laura Robson through to the 4th round - first British lady to get to the 4th round since 1998!!! But she made us British fans suffer there - losing the 1st set 1-6 and having to break back at 4-5 in the 2nd!!! But still she did it -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Her upset is the biggest probably since Roger wasn't a favorite here after the year he has had, and Rafa was 1-2 on grass last year and didnt play a warm up, so nobody knew what to expect from either anyway.
    I totally disagree. As you stated, Maria has only made it past the R16 once since 2006, while either Roger or Nadal has been in every final since 2003, winning 9 of the past 10 titles. And, Wimbledon is the LAST place anyone would think Roger's streak of 36 consecutive slam qtrs would end, especially to a player ranked 116 in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I totally disagree. As you stated, Maria has only made it past the R16 once since 2006, while either Roger or Nadal has been in every final since 2003, winning 9 of the past 10 titles. And, Wimbledon is the LAST place anyone would think Roger's streak of 36 consecutive slam qtrs would end, especially to a player ranked 116 in the world.
    I agree totally with you - Roger going out in round 2 when he had just won Halle and was the defending champion was by far the biggest upset of the tournament so far - and I doubt it will be topped. He may not have been the #1 favourite but he was definitely one of the names many considered would be there or there about come the quarters at least!! I am still a little in disbelief he is not still in the tournament.
    Last edited by Lorac; 06-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Sharapova a bigger upset than Federer? haha
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Currently watching the Djokovic-Chardy match - Novak is just playing out of the world at the moment - we are into the 3rd set and he has yet to make an unforced error He is going to be a hard man to beat by anyone the way he is playing at the moment!!

ETA: 38 winners and just 3 unforced errors in a straight sets win!! It is going to have to take an awesome performance to beat him.
    Last edited by Lorac; 06-29-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Don't know if this was already posted, but I couldn't resist

Djokovic and Dimitrov imitate Maria Sharapova
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post

Djokovic and Dimitrov imitate Maria Sharapova
    I only saw a bit of Novac's match but he was playing lights out, wow.

Kvitova's had a bit of luck to make it this far but looked pretty good today- now she needs to keep it together. My dream final would actually be Kvitova-Radwanska but I know it will never happen.

Yay for Laura Robson!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    TOO funny, and SUCH a good imitation!!

vCash
    Del Potro might be injured. Oh, I hope he feels better by Monday.

I kind of like the Sunday off in the middle of the tournament. Makes me hungrier for tennis on Monday.

vCash
    Nooooo! I was hoping he'd upset Nole for the final.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    It's a shame that Lisicki and Serena are meeting so early!

Per Jon Wertheim, Azarenka's injury is serious and she is getting checked out in Colorado. After beating Serena in Doha, she has been really unlucky with the injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It's a shame that Lisicki and Serena are meeting so early!
    What an amazing match - Lisicki is now serving for it in the final set!!! Can she take it?

ETA: Wow - she did it on her second match point!!!! Absolutely amazing win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    What an amazing match - Lisicki is now serving for it in the final set!!! Can she take it?

ETA: Wow - she did it on her second match point!!!! Absolutely amazing win
    Well done Sabine...

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast