Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

vCash
    Johnny Mac has always been fan of Roger; Johnny Mac in my opinion is one of the most fair announcers you'll see, other than Ted Robinson. John has noted and the game MISSED Rafa's presence which is freaking true.

I think John's comments during the Roger match was that he wanted to see match. He expected Roger to "wake up" and play better as John actual said during the match. Also, John stated "where Roger's plan b"? The truth is Roger does not have a plan b because he has never had to had one before. But now later in his career, Roger is finding that he needs to have a plan b and plan c against a few of the top players.

Tsonga has great talent but is now finally starting to play more consistent. I think Johnny Mac and others were stunned that Roger didn't wake up just as many of us were saddened with Tsonga's play in the semis.

Regarding Rafa catching Roger's record, I doubt it. I love Rafa but I don't think his knees will allow him to play more than 2 to 3 years, tops. He's going to limited hard court season due to the knees. Both Rafa and Tony Nadal DID NOT think Rafa would play pro tennis again, period. Rafa said in his interview with John that he virtually did not practice tennis for 6 months!!!!

I dont' respect anything Jimmy Connors did. He was and still is a sack of manure.

vCash
    Re: Johnny Mac, I have mixed emotions. I'll always like him, but his commentary seems inconsistent to me. At the beginning of the Nadal v Ferrer final, he talked about how Ferrer should try to keep points short. Well, Ferrer really can't do that consistently; he's a grinder, he's not going to start chipping and charging on clay. Later on, he talked about how Ferrer should engage in long rallies with Nadal. Obviously, Ferrer is screwed either way. It would take either an injury or a meltdown on Nadal's part for Ferrer to beat him in a five-set Roland Garros match.

Tsonga's fitness has always been suspect. Seems Rasheed is taking care of that.

Reading Connors' book now. I never liked him, either, but am enjoying reading his take on things. The game has changed so much, and I'd forgotten what a polite, "country club" sport it was before Connors and a few others came along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Johnny Mac has always been fan of Roger; Johnny Mac in my opinion is one of the most fair announcers you'll see, other than Ted Robinson. John has noted and the game MISSED Rafa's presence which is freaking true.

I think John's comments during the Roger match was that he wanted to see match. He expected Roger to "wake up" and play better as John actual said during the match. Also, John stated "where Roger's plan b"? The truth is Roger does not have a plan b because he has never had to had one before. But now later in his career, Roger is finding that he needs to have a plan b and plan c against a few of the top players.

Tsonga has great talent but is now finally starting to play more consistent. I think Johnny Mac and others were stunned that Roger didn't wake up just as many of us were saddened with Tsonga's play in the semis.

Regarding Rafa catching Roger's record, I doubt it. I love Rafa but I don't think his knees will allow him to play more than 2 to 3 years, tops. He's going to limited hard court season due to the knees. Both Rafa and Tony Nadal DID NOT think Rafa would play pro tennis again, period. Rafa said in his interview with John that he virtually did not practice tennis for 6 months!!!!

I dont' respect anything Jimmy Connors did. He was and still is a sack of manure.
    ^^ Well, certainly Connors was and is always full of himself, but calling him manure maybe isn't quite apropos. I love horses and the smell of manure can grow on ya if indeed you're a horse lover. Manure after all is fertilizer. Perhaps "a rotten turd" might be a better way to characterize the conceited and boorish Connors. Still, he could play the game, and he famously "Gave them what they came for!"

ITA that Mac generally tries to be fair in his mellow, more consciously aware older years, especially as a commentator. However, back-in-the-day Johnny Mac rivaled Nasty and the turd for worst on-court behavior.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-12-2013 at 04:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    The truth is Roger does not have a plan b because he has never had to had one before. But now later in his career, Roger is finding that he needs to have a plan b and plan c against a few of the top players.
    Roger always had a plan B or C, and would often make adjustments during a match when needed. To say otherwise is ridiculous! Against Tsonga, Roger never got plan A in motion. Plan B should have been to jumpstart plan A.

I guess we'll just disagree about McEnroe (ESPECIALLY regarding his commentating!! UGH!!) and his feelings about Roger.

vCash
    Interesting take by this tennis analyst/ aficionado, especially at the end when he critiques American tennis commentators vs. European tennis commentators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhC8FF-Z2qQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Interesting take by this tennis analyst/ aficionado, especially at the end when he critiques American tennis commentators vs. European tennis commentators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhC8FF-Z2qQ

Thanks for posting this link. He is identifying the type of hyperbole I was referring to in my post above. It seems like the only way American commentators feel that they can attract an audience and help the watcher justify watching the match is to talk about these rivalries and legacies in such exaggerated terms, and to point out that "you are witnessing history here". While that's sometimes true, it's often ridiculously overblown. It's kind of funny because in player interviews you can see that the players don't care about a lot of these so-called huge moments in tennis. They accept that you win some, you lose some, life goes on to the next tournament.

vCash
    ^^ ITA. I'm trying to recall, but if memory serves me correct, Tony Trabert and Pat Summerall did a slightly better job back-in-the day of analyzing the tennis rather than exaggerating GOAT claims and leaning on hyperbole and schmoozing.

The players understand and are prepared for the on-court grind, and I suppose at the same time realize and/ or learn how to come to grips with the off-court media hullabaloo/ often ridiculous press conference queries.

vCash
    Roger Federer won Halle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Roger Federer won Halle.
    And Andy Murray won Queens - and donated his winnings to Royal Marsden a Cancer charity in honour of his best friend Ross Hutchins who was diagnosed with cancer about six months ago. He also played in a charity match right after his victory along with Tim Henman and Ivan Lendl as well as various celebs raising money for the same charity!!

vCash
    Will Serena ever learn? So ignorant. I will never be rooting for her. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...t-one-20130618

vCash
    I really want to like Serena, and then she goes and says stuff like that

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Someday I would really like to tag along with the athlete and the reporter to see how much is accurately portrayed and how much is the reporter's perception. Just cuz I'm curious. I think if I was letting a reporter tag along with me and listen to everything I say, I'd be much more careful about what I let slip (like I do when the boss spends the day with me at work .. lol). But maybe I'm just naturally more cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Someday I would really like to tag along with the athlete and the reporter to see how much is accurately portrayed and how much is the reporter's perception. Just cuz I'm curious. I think if I was letting a reporter tag along with me and listen to everything I say, I'd be much more careful about what I let slip (like I do when the boss spends the day with me at work .. lol). But maybe I'm just naturally more cautious.
    It is not like Serena hasn't said think she should not say live on air, so I don't think we need to worry a lot about journalist misinterpreting Serena. She has justified unprofessional replies and behaviour as a nature of someone brought up in Bronx. I would worry if someone like Roger Federer saying totally uncharacteristic reply to a question.

vCash
    Venus Williams has pulled out of Wimbledon citing injury

http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/2...om=home-sports

vCash
    That article "about" Serena is full of hyperbole and speculation.
    I'd take most of what it says with a boatload of salt.

When you've been trained to be a tennis-playing machine; social skills and tact are likely not high on the agenda.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Nadal has been seeded 5th (his current ATP ranking) at Wimbledon - Ferrer is 4th: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...imbledon-seeds
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/sp...wimbledon.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That will suck for #1-3 if they face Nadal in the quarters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That article "about" Serena is full of hyperbole and speculation.
    I'd take most of what it says with a boatload of salt.

When you've been trained to be a tennis-playing machine; social skills and tact are likely not high on the agenda.
    Being a famous tennis player does not make blaming the victim OK. And I don't see how the two are related - Venus Williams,f or example, has always been a class act.

Rolling Stone is standing by the interview.

vCash
    Serena's Non-Apology

Rodrick tells Poynter, "The interview is on tape. Other than that, I’ll let the story speak for itself." This is why you should always, always, always record your interviews.

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast