Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Djokovic ends Nadal's streak in Montecarlo, winning the final 62 76(1)

vCash
    Ack! I saw that this morning, too, but I hadn't had my caffeine yet. I figured I'd misread it. Must now read match recap to find out WTF happened!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Ack! I saw that this morning, too, but I hadn't had my caffeine yet. I figured I'd misread it. Must now read match recap to find out WTF happened!
    By all accounts, Djokovic played amazing in the first set - he was leading 5-0 . His level dipped a little in the second, and Nadal improved his, but he didn't take advantage of opportunities and lost 11 out of the last 12 points.

vCash
    I'm so sick of Djokovic. I know it's irrational, but I just can't with him.

vCash
    Slovak Republic blow a 2-0 lead and lose to Russia in the decisive doubles rubber in the Federation Cup semi-finals. Meanwhile, Italy defeated Czech Republic 3-1 in the other semi-final

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I'm so sick of Djokovic. I know it's irrational, but I just can't with him.
    I'm the same way with Nadal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm the same way with Nadal.
    I'm the same way with Nadal AND Federer. Actually, it's more their fans. The world is over if they lose a match. Um, Fed is nearing the end of his career and Rafa is held together with duct tape and hope so it's kind of inevitable.

vCash
    I was going to say I'm the same way with Djoker and Nadal. Of course I'm a Fedtard.

vCash
    I never got Djoker, when he wins I am terribly disappointed. ... I am not a fan Federer, but I don't dislike him... I can support Nadal and Murray any day.

vCash
    Federer here, followed by Murray and then Nadal. Among the top 10, also root for Tsonga (despite his inane comments about why female players are less consistent than the men) and Del Potro. Can't warm to Djokovic, unfortunately.

vCash
    I support great play (and players) in general; but, Federer and Murray are my favorites,

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I love Murray the most, partly because of the traumatising childhood he had, which none of us can really imagine. I think his more pleasant and accessible emotions have really come to the fore in the last couple of years (e.g. crying at Wimbledon), and he seems much less brash and hard. I can't help but like Federer too because he's such a nice guy and a good sport. I have grown to like Novak because he's good friends with Murray and he is also a good sport (I just wish his celebrations after winning were more endearing).

Not long until the French Open!
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I love Novak and Federer; respect but am bored by Nadal and cannot stand Murray

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    and cannot stand Murray
    Why not?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Why not?
    He just always seems so dour and negative on court.

vCash
    Djoko all the way for me. Hate Federer and Murray, and am mildly annoyed by Nadal.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    'Hate' is a very strong word to use against two other human beings who (presumably) have never done you any harm.

Occasionally FSU is infected with nastiness.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 04-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    I don't like negative players, which I find Murray to be. He was absolutely awful when he was younger, swearing at everyone and everything. He's thankfully gotten better but it's still so unpleasant for me to watch him.

It's why I never liked Roddick either.

vCash
    Really we don't know these athletes intimately so the like/ dislike must have more to do with how we perceive their behavior/ looks/ the way they play on court/ and the way they present themselves in interviews. They are probably all fairly decent human beings, and from all appearances each have a great deal of respect for each other. They all know how hard it is to be on the tour and how hard it is to make it to the top. Tennis matches are so physically and mentally grueling. Andre Agassi does an excellent job of describing what a tough marathon match is like in his book, Open.

With all of that said, my favorite players are Nadal and Murray. I also like Del Potro, but I wish he would play with more motivation and excitement. I enjoy watching Tomas Berdych too, and I used to enjoy James Blake (wish he had won some big ones), and I always loved Andre Agassi more than Pete Sampras.

I too am not enamored of Djoker's elaborate displays of breast-beating machismo after his wins. As much of a bad boy and really unpleasant sportsman as Jimmy Connors was at times, his spontaneous celebrations during play upon winning hard-earned points were enlivening and exciting as opposed to Djokovic going overboard in tearing off his shirt and celebrating after his victories. I mean, even Rafa's fist-pumping and jumping into the air after his wins is more naturally spontaneous and not as long and drawn out as Djoker's OTT displays. However, I do admire Djoker's determination and the hard work he has put in to claw his way to the top over Federer and Nadal. Djoker also had to overcome physical issues (he solved some of his problems through a change in diet) in order to be fit enough to go the distance. But it doesn't seem that he ever had too many difficulties in terms of psychological and mental belief in himself, despite his seeming tendency to wimp out toward the end of some of his matches before his physical breakthrough. OTOH, there have been occasions where I have felt that Djoker took advantage of his opponents by using physical timeouts as a psychological strategy, so that's another reason I'm not too fond of him. I can't fault his talent, but I don't root for Djoker that much, despite the fact I do admire his abilities as a tennis champion.

I think Federer is an amazing player, so beautiful and elegant to watch on the court. And, he's a gracious human being. I'm not a Federer fanatic however, and I disliked the way in the early years of his rivalry with Nadal, that the media and commentators were so blatantly prejudiced against Nadal in favor of Federer. Nadal may not be considered a beautiful elegant player, but he is a great player with courage and fierce determination. Moreover, Nadal possesses a beautiful, elegant spirit and he's such a pure gentleman (as is Federer) off the court. Nadal taught other players what it would take to beat the unbeatable Roger Federer. And Nadal taught everyone what it means to never say die.

I seriously hope Nadal can win another French Open this year and keep the streak going. And, I want Murray to win Wimbledon!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    I don't like negative players, which I find Murray to be. He was absolutely awful when he was younger, swearing at everyone and everything.
    Are you aware of what happened in his childhood? After that I think he's done well to turn into a decent person. Some negativity is understandable in my opinion.

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast