Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Federer vs. Murray match is incredible!!! Now in the fourth set . . .

vCash
    Roger

vCash
    As a huge Fed fan, I was obviously rooting for Roger. Good fight by him even though he wasn't playing his best tennis. Great play by Murray. Hope the Murray vs. Djokovic final is great. Pulling for Murray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    As a huge Fed fan, I was obviously rooting for Roger. Good fight by him even though he wasn't playing his best tennis. Great play by Murray. Hope the Murray vs. Djokovic final is great. Pulling for Murray.
    I think Wimbledon is going to be Fed's best chance at another GS - Murray just hung tough after that lose of the 4th set and didn't get down as he has in past years. There is no doubt in my mind that the best thing Murray has done during his playing career was making that phone call to Ivan Lendl - it has transformed him both as a player and a person. He has truely grown up in the past 12 months and could win a handful of GS's in the next few years!!

I think Nadal will never be the player he was and though he could have a couple more French Opens in him I suspect he will not be in the mix for any other GS's - the knee injury is recurring too often. And even though I love Federer I think he will only be in the mix for Wimbledon and maybe only this year as even though he is remarkably fit he is 31 which is old for a top flight tennis player.

The dominating rivalry in the mens game for the next few years could be Novak and Andy - let's hope the match on Sunday is as entertaining as their US Open match final!!
    Last edited by Lorac; 01-25-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I think Wimbledon is going to be Fed's best chance at another GS - Murray just hung tough after that lose of the 4th set and didn't get down as he has in past years. There is no doubt in my mind that the best thing Murray has done during his playing career was making that phone call to Ivan Lendl - it has transformed him both as a player and a person. He has truely grown up in the past 12 months and could win a handful of GS's in the next few years!!

I think Nadal will never be the player he was and though he could have a couple more French Opens in him I suspect he will not be in the mix for any other GS's - the knee injury is recurring too often. And even though I love Federer I think he will only be in the mix for Wimbledon and maybe only this year as even though he is remarkably fit he is 31 which is old for a top flight tennis player.
    Yep, I know Wimbledon is where Roger has the best shot at adding more GS titles. I'm crossing my fingers he can win another U.S. Open or Australian Open though it will be undoubtedly difficult.

vCash
    Roger had 43 winners to 60 UFEs, only 6 aces, and had 6 break opportunities. Andy had 62 winners to 47 UFEs, 21 aces, and had 16 break opportunities. Surely with these numbers it was a quick straight-set win for Andy, right? NO, it was a 5-setter! Andy beat Roger for the first time at a slam, but there are concerns.

And I disagree that Wimbledon is the only slam where Roger will be in the mix. He had a much more difficult draw at the AO, and made it to the semis. The only player to beat him in the past 2 years at the USO has been Novak, and Nadal has been his main RG nemesis. Roger will continue to be in the mix at all the slams, and the draw will be a huge factor for him as well as for Novak, Nadal, and Murray.

vCash
    Sad to see Roger lose. Will always love the style he plays with, but he is unfortunately probably in the twilight of his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I agree. I'm giving Vika the benefit of the doubt. She's been in other emotional matches and has not don't this. I think she really may have started to feel anxiety. I will not doubt a person who fainted/passed out on a court before. Vika has issues with HEAT as 2010 USO.

Vika did not do this in the Jamie Hampton match a few days ago. She did not do this in her matches last season at the FO, Wimbledon or USO, so why would she do this now if folks beleive she's such a poor sport.
    Agreed. I know Vika has faced her share if criticism for withdrawals and medical timeouts but I can't help recall the time where she probably should have called a trainer and instead collapsed on the court.

I'm looking forward to this final- slightly pulling for Vika but really would be happy with either player winning!

And yay for Murray!!

vCash
    Vika did not do this in the Jamie Hampton match a few days ago. She did not do this in her matches last season at the FO, Wimbledon or USO, so why would she do this now if folks beleive she's such a poor sport.
    Perhaps because unlike the previous matches, Vika failed to convert on FIVE match points before being broken by Sloane. It was the first and only time in the match where momentum was on Sloane's side.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Great semi-final between Murray and Federer. Sadly I think Roger's best days are behind him but that's not to take anything away from Murray who played a terrific match. If I were a betting woman, my money would be on Novak to win on Sunday, but it's the same line up as the last slam and Murray surprised him there.

I'll be cheering for Andy anyway!
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Perhaps because unlike the previous matches, Vika failed to convert on FIVE match points before being broken by Sloane. It was the first and only time in the match where momentum was on Sloane's side.
    Vika faces a tougher match against Hampton and didn't call a medical time out. Hampton broke Vika for a 5-4 lead in the 2nd. Vika didn't convert the break points she had and lost the set. Vika WAS in trouble in the Hampton match. She was a down a break in the 3rd set too. Vika played better and Hampton's injury inhibited her somewhat in the 3rd set.

My point was to state, Vika has played in MORE pressured, emotional matches than the Stephens match and HAS not done this before. As I stated before, for a player who has passed out on the court before, having her state she couldn't breate and felt anxiety is an illegimate response to ask for a medical time out. Vika has a history of medical issues in hot conditions. The temp on the court was over 100 F and no one is mentioning this.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I'm so happy for Murray. I think he'll beat Novak D.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Vika faces a tougher match against Hampton and didn't call a medical time out. Hampton broke Vika for a 5-4 lead in the 2nd. Vika didn't convert the break points she had and lost the set. Vika WAS in trouble in the Hampton match. She was a down a break in the 3rd set too. Vika played better and Hampton's injury inhibited her somewhat in the 3rd set..
    My point is that the two are totally different situations. Vika had MATCH points against Sloane in that critical game. One conversion and the match is over, but she failed FIVE times. A huge difference between failing to convert break points. And yes, she was in trouble against Hampton, but it seemed she was biding her time because it was obvious Hampton was injured. Sloane wasn't, and seemed ready to pounce as she had against Serena.

And, the Sloane match was a HIGHLY pressured, emotional match, perhaps one of the most Vika has faced. She's trying to defend the one slam title she has, the #1 ranking was at stake (and still is if she doesn't win the title), and with both Serena and Maria out, she became THE clear favorite. That is SERIOUS pressure!

vCash
    15 year old (as of last month!) Ana Konjuh of Croatia takes the girls' title - future star?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Did any of you following things know there was also Para/Wheelchair Competition at this year's Aussie Open? I didn't until a few minutes when checking Twitter and seeing the retweets by the IPC and seeing Tweets by the winner of the Ladies event and a Tweet by one of the guys who got to hit practice balls w/Novak this morning. Good on Novak and it was hard to tell who had the bigger grin on their faces.

OMG!! Darren Cahill's one heck of a good sport and also a standup guy to boot. Last year he and Andy's Mom made a bet. When Andy made the Aussie Open Final, Darren would wear a kilt. He just walked onto ESPN's set w/it on. Doesn't look half bad on him either.

Not sure who will win this, but I've always had a soft spot for Li Na, so I'd love it for her to win another GS.

That Murray/Federer match last night/yesterday morning was out of this World!! BTW, how fitting Andy made the Aussie Final on Robbie Burns Day? Awesome match and I think he's going to give Novak a run for his money tomorrow. Will be rooting for Andy, but I love Novak too, so will be happy regardless.

Now....C'mon Ladies....Let's get this Party started!!

Oh....And Happy Australia Day to our FSU Aussie Members!!!

vCash
    Li turned her left ankle, which is now being taped.

ETA: I know almost nothing about tennis but I think Li is going to win this one.

ETA2: Or not.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 01-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    So if the Li Na injury break wasn't dramatic enough, now there are Australia Day fireworks next door posing an even longer, but totally voidy, interruption to the match.

Happy Australia Day, mates!

vCash
    But at least they knew that was coming.

NO!!! And it looks like it's the other ankle/leg this time...

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    AND she hit her head on the court falling down. Wow.

vCash
    Yes Chrissie, you're right. This is one crazy GS Final. This is just unreal!!!

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast