Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Wow ... negative much? Would you feel better if I said I HOPE they both will have successful careers? Because I do.
    I don't think it's negative or positive, just factual. No talent show other than American Idol has given any contestant any kind of career of note. As others have said in the threads for these shows, they make money off of the TV advertsing and don't seem to care much about whether the contestants have any kind of success in their music careers. It will be interesting to see if people keep watching the voice when the biggest success anyone on the show has is a single that hits #98 on the Hot 100 and falls off the chart the following week. (And their album doesn't even sell well enough to crack the Top 200 chart...)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No talent show other than American Idol has given any contestant any kind of career of note.
    X factor UK has given some careers... One Direction, Leona Lewis and Cher Lloyd, for example.

vCash
    I have never heard of Cher Lloyd. AFAIK Leona Lewis has had one hit - Bleeding Love. I don't know if she can sustain any kind of popularity. But one thing these shows do is give these musical acts a chance they may not have otherwise had. What they do with that chance is up to them but at least they get heard on a national & international stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It will be interesting to see if people keep watching the voice when the biggest success anyone on the show has is a single that hits #98 on the Hot 100 and falls off the chart the following week. (And their album doesn't even sell well enough to crack the Top 200 chart...)
    I'm not ashamed to admit I watch The Voice for the judges and because I think the format is interesting. The competing talent is merely a bonus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I'm not ashamed to admit I watch The Voice for the judges and because I think the format is interesting. The competing talent is merely a bonus.
    This ^^^^^^^
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    same here
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Same here.

Wasn't Miranda Lambert on Nashville Star? I'd say she has a career. I think there are a couple of others from that show who have done fairly well in the country market.

Cher Lloyd just had her breakthrough single in the US this summer so it remains to be seen how long a career she will have, but she currently does have a career in music. Her single sold over 2,000,000 copies. She's been popular for a couple of years in the UK.

One Direction definitely has a career in music, they are huge right now. But for how long? Dunno. Jonas Bros. have lasted a lot longer than I thought they would.

Leona Lewis only had the one hit in the US, but she's had nine top 10 hits in the UK.

And Susan Boyle is still milking her Britain's Got Talent success.

ETA Leona Lewis also did one of the songs from Avatar that was nominated for an Oscar.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Other than American Idol, how many significant singing competition shows has the US had until The Voice? Nashville Star and Rock Star are the main ones. The revival of Star Search and America's Got Talent have singers, but they really are not singing competitions in the same vein and don't really promote careers in the same way.

Doing a Wikipedia search, Nashville Star produced one very significant star - Miranda Lambert. The Season Four winner, Chris Young, has been nominated for a Grammy and CMA awards and won some other country awards. He also has had five number one singles in 2010 and 2011. And the Season One winner, Buddy Jewell, had his first album go gold and was No. 1 on the country chart (13 on the top 200 album chart). His second hit No. 5 on the country chart (No. 31 top 200). That seems like a pretty decent track record.

Rock Star is hard to judge because it was designed to find a lead singer for a band. But INXS's post-Rock Star:INXS album with J.D. Fortune sold decently and the Supernova album sold okay. Neither was a big success, but they didn't tank.

As for The Voice and X-Factor, they have not rushed albums out to capitalize on the singers' wins. Part of the problem, imo, is that they use iTunes during the show, so there already are a number of songs from the singer available. Consequently, there is not the same demand for an album. That is different than in the early years of American Idol when, maybe, there would be one single available from a compilation album. In many ways, I think the show's ability to profit from the performances during the season undercuts the long-term success of the artist after the series.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    And outside of singing, Terry Fator from AGT has been playing Vegas for years - he reportedly got a $100 million dollar long term contract. Jackie Evancho is still making a lot of appearances and recording.

The Jabbawockeez from America's Best Dance Crew have had a Vegas show for a couple of years too.

And a lot of the SYTYCD kids are working dancers.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    And outside of singing, Terry Fator from AGT has been playing Vegas for years - he reportedly got a $100 million dollar long term contract.
    So happy that Terry is doing that well. He is brilliant.

vCash
    I think a lot of the successful folks have one thing in common... they all made money in entertainment before they went on these shows. For most, the exposure allows them to play better venues, charge more, and have a more comfortable life. For folks like Bev from The Voice, that's what she was after.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Reports are out that Britany is quitting before she gets fired. Apparently she heard she was not going to be asked back b/c they felt she wasn't living up to her 15 million contract.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    No big loss. She added absolutely nothing to the show. I actually enjoyed Demi as a judge and I had no clue who she was before this show. Simon, Demi and LA would be enough for me.

vCash
    No talent show other than American Idol has given any contestant any kind of career of note.
    Canadian Idol gave the world Jacob Haggard (of Hedley) and Carly Rae Jepsen. Not so bad.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    No big loss. She added absolutely nothing to the show. I actually enjoyed Demi as a judge and I had no clue who she was before this show. Simon, Demi and LA would be enough for me.
    L.A. Reid has quit to focus on his record company I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Canadian Idol gave the world Jacob Haggard (of Hedley) and Carly Rae Jepsen. Not so bad.
    I think in The Voice thread people reminded me that Nashville Star gave us Miranda Lambert and Chris Young. Canadian Idol also gave us Kalan Porter, whose two albums both sold over 200,000 copies (double platinum in Canada). I know he stopped his career because of his Mom's health, wikipedia said he was to have a third album out in 2012, but that did not come about.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    they can rotate judges all they want, that really isnt the problem with the show
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    they can rotate judges all they want, that really isnt the problem with the show
    I for one am shocked that Fox is still trying to save it. Stick a fork in it, folks, it's done.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by masofs View Post
    So happy that Terry is doing that well. He is brilliant.
    Terry went on the road with his show right before he started his run at The Mirage. My husband & I attended the last show he did - he is from the Fort Worth/Dallas area so his last show was in Fort Worth. Not only was he brilliant, his warm-up act was a lot of fun. It's been a few years so I want to see his show again next time we go to Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6
    I for one am shocked that Fox is still trying to save it. Stick a fork in it, folks, it's done
    I think X-Factor fills a niche that isn't filled by the other shows. I really like the 4 age groups. The problem IMO isn't with the format. It's the boring (LA) or inane (Britney/Demi) judges. I agree with someone upthread that they should get someone who is influential in the record industry, who is also an interesting person. And if Simon wants pop stars, why do they have to be so young (aka Disney) singers? How about using someone with some cred who also has a pulse? (I'm looking at you Britney.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Good reminder! BTW, its spelled Hoggard. Lovely contestants. Canadian Idol was a wonderful show. The most recent season with Amberly, Mitch, Drew, Theo, Earl, etc. was amazing! Even if most of them didn't go on to huge international careers, I loved them being showcased on the show. I still go back to Theresa Sokyrka, Josh Palmer, and Jacob performances every now and then. The judges were pretty fun too. I really, really miss this show.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314