Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 1003
  1. #641

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,342
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    48754
    I thought it was an excellent free skate from Liza given that it was her season debut and that she has only just returned from a knee injury. She has obviously been off the ice for a while and lost some training time as a result. The competition she was up against was not that tough, and she was obviously using the event as a warm up for Skate Canada and was getting rid of some rust. When you look at the SP and LP together, all of the jumps are there - 3Z, 3F, 2A, 3S, 3R, 3T. She landed them all. She obviously went out with the intention of just doing a 3Zx2T combination, but she certainly looked as though she could have done the 3Zx3T if she had wanted to. However, given the nature of the competition she was up against, she simply did not need it. Moreover, she showed in the SP, that she has the 3Tx3T as a back up. Yes, she doubled out on the 3R in the LP, but she landed a very good one in the SP. The only other minor error was that she missed the final element of her 3Sx2Tx2R combination. However, she can do that combination normally in her sleep. All in all, therefore, a very good season debut.

    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    No 3-3 I don't think she can win Skate Canada, Gold is probably a lock,
    but she could still podium with Akiko
    Did you see Gracie Gold at the International Figure Skating Classic and Skate Detroit? She struggled in both events, losing to Agnes Zawadzki and Hannah Miller respectively. Both Gracie and Liza have had their problems and its far too early in the season to be making predictions. Both, however, have shown good potential despite their problems.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.

  2. #642
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    mental fortitude I think cannot be taught though
    It most definitely can.

  3. #643

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,172
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It can certain be improved but no matter how many sessions with a sports psych you have, some people will always be an Czisny, not a Kwan. That's not to say nervous skaters won't have magnificent skates, but they will never have that internal love for competition. It'll always be more about calming down and controlling nerves instead of thriving on the pressure.

  4. #644
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    It can certain be improved but no matter how many sessions with a sports psych you have, some people will always be an Czisny, not a Kwan.
    And some skaters will learn triple jumps easily and for others it will be an extremely tough ordeal. Some skater have an affinity for spinning, others hate it because it makes them dizzy.

    You might be predisposed more or less to a certain activity. But that does not mean that you aren't able to acquire the relevant skillset.

    And none of us actually know what is going on in Czisny's and Kwan's heads. How much of their success/failure was down to environmental and how much to personal factors. How much they did or didn't work on their mental skills, whether in a formal or an informal setting. And how much of their success is down to good/bad coaching.

    As far as Czisny is concerned, I'd guess that technical issues play a very big role. She has always had horrific jumping technique. It has been slightly corrected but is still terrible. Pretty hard to land jumps consistently when even at her 100%, they are rather .

    Most people seem to perceive physical fortitude as something that can be easily trained with enough effort but they don't perceive mental fortitude in the same way, when exactly the same logic applies there as well.

  5. #645

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    185
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And some skaters will learn triple jumps easily and for others it will be an extremely tough ordeal. Some skater have an affinity for spinning, others hate it because it makes them dizzy.

    You might be predisposed more or less to a certain activity. But that does not mean that you aren't able to acquire the relevant skillset.

    And none of us actually know what is going on in Czisny's and Kwan's heads. How much of their success/failure was down to environmental and how much to personal factors. How much they did or didn't work on their mental skills, whether in a formal or an informal setting. And how much of their success is down to good/bad coaching.

    As far as Czisny is concerned, I'd guess that technical issues play a very big role. She has always had horrific jumping technique. It has been slightly corrected but is still terrible. Pretty hard to land jumps consistently when even at her 100%, they are rather .

    Most people seem to perceive physical fortitude as something that can be easily trained with enough effort but they don't perceive mental fortitude in the same way, when exactly the same logic applies there as well.
    I disagree with your estimation that the career of the athlete falls on the shoulders of the coach. Skaters at some point need to take responsibility for their performances. Abbot, Rippon and Czisny have all had numerous coaches, but the issues remain the same. You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink.


    Her technique isnt that off actually IMO - the axel is the worst

  6. #646

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    I disagree with your estimation that the career of the athlete falls on the shoulders of the coach. Skaters at some point need to take responsibility for their performances. Abbot, Rippon and Czisny have all had numerous coaches, but the issues remain the same. You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink.


    Her technique isnt that off actually IMO - the axel is the worst
    This is not what Ziggy said. Maybe try to read it again in context.

  7. #647

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    185
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    This is not what Ziggy said. Maybe try to read it again in context.
    yep, I missed the point, thanks and sorry!

  8. #648

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    psfoty's neighbourhood
    Posts
    8,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ilushechkina's interview for sport-ru by Oxana Shkrebtienko

    OS: Luba, what was the main reason for your switch?
    LI: I want to enjoy the skating and not feel it's a must. I wanted to change everything including my attitude towards figure skating.

    OS: Were you successful?
    LI: It's hard to tell yet, we have just started. Nevertheless I like the way we work. We have two new programmes. Not everything was clean during the competition, so there is still a lot of work to be done.

    OS: How did you find Yannic?
    LI: Through the internet. I emailed, he replied and we agreed on the terms.

    OS: What kind of partner is he? Do you suit each other? After all it's not something you'd figure through the internet.
    LI: Yes, that is what I worried about, but am incredibly comfortable with Yannic. I tried some elements with other partners but never felt so comfortable. It's very important for the pairs skating and am thrilled things are working for us.

    OS: What are your relationship outside the ice rink? Are you friends? Do you spend time together?
    LI: We are good friends. Yannic helps me a lot to get around in the new country, to find a flat, helps me with all the paper work. He had a birthday party and invited me there as well.

    OS: Which language do you usually speak to him and the coach? How is your French?
    LI: We usually speak English out of habit, though recently I try switching to French. I'm studying the language for 4-6 hours a day towards the exam. I study from the books without any teachers. There is a progress - I started understanding and being comprehensive!

    OS: The French FS team is very united and fun. How were you accepted, who did you become friends with, how do you feel there?
    LI: Indeed the team is friendly. I like the atmosphere - everyone cheers for each other, wish luck before the competitions. I feel very comfortable, the guys support me a lot and try to help me. I'm very grateful for them!

    OS: How long will you be sitting out?
    LI: It's not decided yet, but we do everything within our power to make the sit out as short as possible. In the mean while we plan to compete the FFSG competitions. The next one is the French Nationals in December.

  9. #649
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Thanks for translating! I'm glad that she's happier! (Although I do wish that they could have worked with Moskvina)

  10. #650

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Thanks for translating! I'm glad that she's happier! (Although I do wish that they could have worked with Moskvina)
    I still wish that she had given her fed a chance and worked with Moskvina, when they made her an offer (with another partner). She wanted a change (understandable, under the circumstances, from whatever tidbits I read) and she made a HUGE change- dumping her country. I think when Anissina left for France, she did not have such bitterness toward her (former) country. Others have gone to skate for other countries without making so many waves. That makes me wonder if Lubov really is mentally strong, or will she get upset with her new partner and new surroundings, once the honeymoon is over? One thing is certain. In France she will not have the pressure to win an OGM, the way she would have had in Russia and that may just help her win titles. Is she the next Anissina, to drive an arrow through the hearts of RSF?

    The Russian pairs field does not appear as deep as it did 12-18 months ago. With the breakup of I&M, injury to B&L (and their somewhat disappointing performances), Moskvina not having a top pair, and M&R being very inconsistent, Russia has to rely solely on V&T. I would love to see K&S win a title, but that does not seem likely at this point, and they will certainly retire after the 2014 Olympics. The junior pairs are very young, which means anything can happen. Can S&K become title contenders in a couple of years? With COP in place, they may have a chance if they are just consistent in their technical elements.

  11. #651

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I still wish that she had given her fed a chance and worked with Moskvina, when they made her an offer (with another partner)
    When was this ever on the table and who were the partner they had line up for her? I don't recall Moskvina ever saying she was willing to take a new student especially since she will retire from coaching after 2014.

    I think Lubov went to the best partner she saw out there at the time not wanting to end up like Mukhortova.

  12. #652

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8773
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I still wish that she had given her fed a chance and worked with Moskvina, when they made her an offer (with another partner). She wanted a change (understandable, under the circumstances, from whatever tidbits I read) and she made a HUGE change- dumping her country. I think when Anissina left for France, she did not have such bitterness toward her (former) country. Others have gone to skate for other countries without making so many waves. That makes me wonder if Lubov really is mentally strong, or will she get upset with her new partner and new surroundings, once the honeymoon is over? One thing is certain. In France she will not have the pressure to win an OGM, the way she would have had in Russia and that may just help her win titles. Is she the next Anissina, to drive an arrow through the hearts of RSF?
    Hung on! We don't know what was going on during the practices. You say that you wish she gave Russian Federation a chance to pair her up with someone else. How do we know whether they were aware of the problems between her and her coach in the first place? If they were aware and did nothing, I wouldn't trust them either! It is so easy to judge someone when we are on the outside, but in the situation she was, she was completely dependent on both her coach and Russian Federation. If she was unhappy and wanted to change, I am sure she would have thought about it for a long time. It is not as easy to just swap a country and move away. She must have been quite desperate. As we are not in her situation, we shouldn't make the judgements you made. Look at your situation - you have a right to change your employer if you are not happy (and I am sure the majority of people won't stay all their life with one employer). Why it should be any different for the athlete?

  13. #653

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8773
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The Russian pairs field does not appear as deep as it did 12-18 months ago. With the breakup of I&M, injury to B&L (and their somewhat disappointing performances), Moskvina not having a top pair, and M&R being very inconsistent, Russia has to rely solely on V&T. I would love to see K&S win a title, but that does not seem likely at this point, and they will certainly retire after the 2014 Olympics. The junior pairs are very young, which means anything can happen. Can S&K become title contenders in a couple of years? With COP in place, they may have a chance if they are just consistent in their technical elements.
    As dark as you see the situation, there is still Volosozhar-Trankov and Kavaguti-Smirnov. I am not sure how it appeared 12-18 months ago, but the fact is that the Russians still have reigning gold, silver and bronze medallist from this (2012) year, so the field can't be that weak. The fact that their number 3 (Bazarova - Larionov) is injured is not going to change much, because they still have Stolbova-Klimov and there are constantly more pairs getting ready (on junior level 3 pairs qualified into JGPF). If you watch the Russian nationals in December, you may find that their situation is stronger than any other country in the world.

  14. #654

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    As dark as you see the situation, there is still Volosozhar-Trankov and Kavaguti-Smirnov. I am not sure how it appeared 12-18 months ago, but the fact is that the Russians still have reigning gold, silver and bronze medallist from this (2012) year, so the field can't be that weak. The fact that their number 3 (Bazarova - Larionov) is injured is not going to change much, because they still have Stolbova-Klimov and there are constantly more pairs getting ready (on junior level 3 pairs qualified into JGPF). If you watch the Russian nationals in December, you may find that their situation is stronger than any other country in the world.
    I am actually looking beyond this year and 2014. I think V&T and K&S will retire after Sochi. Who will carry the torch? I just don't think B&L will. They are very good, and I love Vera's positions, but I don't see them as championship caliber (same with K&S- I love them but they may not win a world title). I am not sold on S&K yet. The Russians may still have more choices than most other countries (except may be China), but I really want to see great Russian pairs like we did in the past.

  15. #655

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8773
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am actually looking beyond this year and 2014. I think V&T and K&S will retire after Sochi. Who will carry the torch? I just don't think B&L will. They are very good, and I love Vera's positions, but I don't see them as championship caliber (same with K&S- I love them but they may not win a world title). I am not sold on S&K yet. The Russians may still have more choices than most other countries (except may be China), but I really want to see great Russian pairs like we did in the past.
    After 2014 Bazarova hopefully won't be injured. They are silver medallist at Europeans, so they should do fine in the future and I doubt they want to retire after the Olympics. Stolbova-Klimov looks promising too. Maisuradze has a new partner, so after 2014 she could be reasonably decent. Martiusheva-Rogonov are not consistent, but they still are there and one shouldn't discount them. They were silver medallist at junior worlds a few years ago, so we never know. In juniors they have currently several promising pairs, such as last years junior worlds bronze medallist Davankova-Deputat. In addition to them two other junior pairs managed to get to JGPF. I know that you are searching for the next 'great' pair, but I think it is too early to say for anyone, not only for young Russians. But Russians have definitely more to choose from than the other countries, so I wouldn't worry about them.

  16. #656

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Gordeeva and GrinkOv and b/s just may never be repeated not even at 50%!!

  17. #657
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,462
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    are Vera and Yuri that injured ? wasn't there a recent interview that said Vera would have even competed in the LP at Nebelhorn had she had a good massage and they are still listed in CoR and NHK:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Bazarova

    though I don't they can be a Top Russian pair, Stolbova/Klimov have improved
    they have big jumps and I like their programs this season

  18. #658

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8773
    Maybe Tarasova-Morozov have a great future ahead of them...even if it is just because of the surnames.

  19. #659
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So I found a Maxim Trankov look alike!
    http://xfactor.itv.com/2012/finalists/kye-sones
    Look at some of the angles that they show him at. Almost can't tell the difference.

  20. #660

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Gordeeva and GrinkOv and b/s just may never be repeated not even at 50%!!
    Sadly, you may be right. Pairs skating has changed so much that even if there are skaters with great skating skills, they could be limited by the COP rules.

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •