Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Am I only the person to find everything so far incredibly disappointing?

I'm not even exaggerating. There's not *one* program so far out of these tests that I'm impressed with. I know it's early and programs have room to grow, but I can usually tell when a program has potential to be something, and none of these programs have it.

I can't believe how disappointing V&T's programs are in particular.

vCash
    So who actually won the test skates in each event? I'm especially interested in the comparison between the new Bobrova and Soloviev and the new Riazanova and Tkachenko to see who Russia seems to be backing. Obviously no Ilinykh and Katsalapov at the competition, but still interesting to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I must have been watching the wrong video because that LP I just watched of Pluschenko looks like it was thrown together with bits and pieces from other programs. It's also seemed like he was making some of it up as he skated along just waiting for the music cue for him to start his step sequence. It even looked to me at one point he motioned to someone with his finger to speed something up? Who choreographed that?
    You must've not been paying attention to anything else then because Plushenko said outright that this is just the bones of the program and it's not complete yet.

The motion you're talking about, he missed a spin and was indicating that that was where the spin would go.

YEAH!
    vCash
    They're just demonstrations... not scored. Some skaters also performed at Russian Cup events, so if you see any scores, that's from those.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Ice dancing has been incredibly disappointing, except that P&G have been a pleasant surprise.... but I did like S&K and M&R in pairs, Plushy's LP, Makarova's LP, and Leonova's SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I just watched Plushenko's LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2Gb6KBmLs

I loved it. He's always been a very good technical skater, but I'm seeing more artistry in this program than what I've seen in the past. This program suits him. Great job!
    the costume is interesting. i spent the whole time watching it and trying to figure what it is about. a white swan whose transformation in black went wrong on one side, or a black swan who just couldnt get totally white?
    the program may be about the life and the death of a swan. thats why they play Danse macabre in the end, i guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    the costume is interesting. i spent the whole time watching it and trying to figure what it is about. a white swan whose transformation in black went wrong on one side, or a black swan who just couldnt get totally white?
    the program may be about the life and the death of a swan. thats why they play Danse macabre in the end, i guess.
    I don't know exactly what it's meant to be, but it's gorgeous. I love it.

IIRC, I think Plushenko was going to do a Swan program back in the late 90s, but for whatever reason, it got shelved. So this is the second time in his comeback that he's gone back to his teenage years.

Maybe he should do that more often. I would be very interested to see him re-interpreting some of his programs from when he was 15/16/17. Of course the rules have changed since then, but he's also changed.

vCash

I'm not even exaggerating. There's not *one* program so far out of these tests that I'm impressed with. I know it's early and programs have room to grow, but I can usually tell when a program has potential to be something, and none of these programs have it.

I didn't like much, but I think both Bobrova/Soloviev's programs are terrific, I will be cheering for the to do well this year with all my heart. I think Kawaguti/Smirnov's long is beautiful and Sotnikva's short will be great for her. Stolbova/Klimov always have interesting choreography.

I am not a fan V/T's programs too, but I am not disappointed since I probably didn't expect much to begin with.

vCash

My expectation was low but as pleasantly surprised by Makarova and even by Plushenko (by each segment, not yet by the whole program of course). V&T's short program was alright and could be great if they could add more chemistry into it. The free skate looks like it needs a lot more mileage if not more choreography / transitions in the second half.

Too bad Lipnitskaya and Tuk did not skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    ...Plushenko said outright that this is just the bones of the program and it's not complete yet.

The motion you're talking about, he missed a spin and was indicating that that was where the spin would go.
    Yes he skipped some jumps and spins so perhaps that's why it looked even more bare bones than usual. Although, having said that, Plushenko was never one of those who would add significant transitions into his programs as the season went on so I wouldn't sit on the edge of my seat waiting for that to happen.

He used to do a decent arabesque spiral, and I would love to see him do one, maybe in the first or second segment. Please, no more painful looking Biellmann spirals.

Did Stannick Jeannette of France use to wear a similar costume about 10 years ago? Perhaps also while he was skating to Rondo?

vCash
    You must've not been paying attention to anything else then because Plushenko said outright that this is just the bones of the program and it's not complete yet.

Well all I did was watch the program and listen to the music so of course I wasn't paying attention to anything else My comment was a response to posts that seemed in awe of this wonderful LP and I was wondering what they had watched. Obviously not the same thing as you and I since you yourself recognize just the bones.

As for the rest of the videos I watched. Not thrilled with any of the ice dance in general but I usually warm to them as the season progresses. I was surprised to find myself enjoying K&S's LP. If she could just learn to point those toes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes he skipped some jumps and spins so perhaps that's why it looked even more bare bones than usual. Although, having said that, Plushenko was never one of those who would add significant transitions into his programs as the season went on so I wouldn't sit on the edge of my seat waiting for that to happen.

He used to do a decent arabesque spiral, and I would love to see him do one, maybe in the first or second segment. Please, no more painful looking Biellmann spirals.
    Regardless of the prevailing beliefs on this site Plushenko and his team aren't stupid. They have had to learn a very hard fast lesson about program structure. They will never win in the eyes of people on here because they simply cannot backload his program or throw the kitchen sink into it. His body can't take that. They do what they can do. He is already doing more transitions than ever before and I would not be surprised if they put more in. He already said in an interview that they will.

...and at least he stays on his feet. Unlike some.

I agree with you on the spiral. He had a beautiful arabesque spiral and I love that much more than his Biellmann. It's a shame we didn't see it that often.

vCash
    LOL, thatswhy he did a motion? Because I wondered about it and I thought he waved to someone to fast forward the cd

vCash
    Does anyone know P/G's SD music? I'm kind of obsessed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    Does anyone know P/G's SD music? I'm kind of obsessed.
    Cirque du Soleil: Quidam soundtrack. The first part is called Marelle, the second one - Zydeko.
    Last edited by inskate; 09-17-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo :(

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I just watched Plushenko's LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2Gb6KBmLs

I loved it. He's always been a very good technical skater, but I'm seeing more artistry in this program than what I've seen in the past. This program suits him. Great job!
    I'm almost never online anymore and I'm just now watching some of these Russian programs, and I can't even believe that's Plushenko doing that first footwork sequence. This Saint-Saens medley works so well for him, I'm totally beyond impressed - I've always respected the hell out of him, but I'd never expect such a change in style of movement at the age of 30 from ANYONE

All I did was go ahead and watch programs that good reviews, and I'm ok with that....

Leonova's sp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OgwkQRwzQ

Great program for her, this is awesome And she should seriously consider skating in a catsuit for the future, damn

V&T's lp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpljT...8&feature=plcp
    Well the opening was really promising, but it totally lost focus for me. Then again, Black Swan did the same early on last year and they held it together much better by Worlds, so I'm not super worried in the long term.

S&K's lp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byOW...1&feature=plcp
    For whatever reason I've loved this team from the moment I first saw them and I've never understood the dislike towards them from posters here who usually share similar tastes to my own (though I'm often concerned about their seeming lack of speed). I love that they make use of the head and are "stretching" into the music (don't know how else to work that). Really like this program too, well done - I really want them in the Russian top 3, and this choreography and performance quality should totally take them there IMO

S&K's sp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtOS...eature=related
    And their sp was great too, loved the footwork sequence where they actually, you know, came in contact with each other with holds of about the same difficulty of CoP ice dance (good for S&K, pathetic for CoP dance ) Does anyone know if the LP is a continuation of their sp? Has anyone done this since the days of Candeloro?!!!!

P&G's SD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aWMH...8&feature=plcp
    PREFECT vehicle for this otherwise really disjointed SD theme! They're moving about 100 times better than I've ever seen from them in the past with about five times the musical nuances interpretted
    Last edited by Taso; 09-17-2012 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120916/175997797.html

This article gets something wrong - Gachinski has worked with David Wilson - and it is not that Gachinski didn't do two quads in a FS but now he wants to do Salchow and Toe and not two quad toe loops. Brezina and Fernandez both attempt salchow and toe loop quads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    B&L's SP is lovely. I like that dress on her and imo, the jumps look better.

V&T: I wasn't feeling it. For an off ice couple, you'd think they'd be able to bring some heat to the performance, but no. They both look hot though.

Plushenko: It's gotten to the point where it doesn't matter what he's skating to or what he's wearing. I'm just riveted. Love him.

Sotnikova LP: After reading all of the griping over it I was expecting something completely horrific, but it's not bad at all. I really liked the the program.
    I had no idea V&T were an off ice couple. She did kiss him last year in the K&C (I think) but I didn't read much into it.

ITA about Plushenko. I don't care if he wins a medal or not. He is a legend and we are lucky to watch a skater who competed at senior worlds at age 15 (and even won a medal) and who still wants to compete at age 30 (or 31 or 32). His passion for the sport is unbelievable. He has fought through injuries, surgeries, rule changes, and criticism, to do what he loves to do. He has my respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I had no idea V&T were an off ice couple. She did kiss him last year in the K&C (I think) but I didn't read much into it.....
    I thought that she was married to Morozov, their coach (& her former partner). Ir maybe she still is and I am too old fashioned.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I thought that she was married to Morozov, their coach (& her former partner). Ir maybe she still is and I am too old fashioned.
    They referred to each other as husband and wife in the common law sense. It was a long term relationship. I am assuming it's over now.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast