Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I
    If my $50 or $90 or however much they could be sold for would dishonor the meaning of the jacket, then someone else's $10,000 does as well. If the reason for not marketing them is because they are to be earned by team members, giving them to the wealthy donors is hypocritical.
    I agree.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,289
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30881
    Personally, I wouldn't buy one (if only because I'm not American). However, I can think of plenty of pushy skating parents who would, because it would make their kid look more accomplished than their kid actually was.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,675
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy one (if only because I'm not American). However, I can think of plenty of pushy skating parents who would, because it would make their kid look more accomplished than their kid actually was.
    But do we care if their children look more accomplished than they actually are? If the money go towards supporting skating in that country...

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    Age
    28
    Posts
    16,038
    vCash
    900
    Rep Power
    8646
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    A team jacket from any nation is something that comes with years of hard work, not a credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I disagree. You can buy Russian team jacket in a shop (at Bosco)
    http://boscosport.ru/ru/#/en/238/arc...ian/category59
    Also in Finland the figure skaters' team jacket is in stores for anyone to buy.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But do we care if their children look more accomplished than they actually are? If the money go towards supporting skating in that country...
    Why do you assume that buying a team jacket is to "make their children look more accomplished than they are"? Maybe they simply want a high quality, federation skating jacket that says figure skating on it. I would buy one for the same reason. I like wearing my club jacket everywhere to show that I'm a figure skater, but the logo doesn't really prominently say anything about "figure skating" and the shape is kind of frumpy and loose.

    I doubt anyone involved with skating would think I'm presenting myself as a World Team member if I wanted to show support of skating with a jacket, and people at public sessions assume I'm going to the Olympics anyway, simply for having white skates. The jacket has nothing to do with it.

    Anyways, the cat's already out of the bag. If wealthy donors are allowed to buy them, then everyone should. If it were that important, the donors would not be allowed to have them. It would only be worth getting upset over if the donors were allowed to have Gold Medalist jackets. It's obvious that wearing something that says "team" on it is support for the team, but a non-medalist would have no reason to wear a medalist jacket.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 09-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,463
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    I really don't care one way or another.

    However, if they think that a team jacket is an exclusive enough incentive to entice donors to contribute thousands of dollars, then making them readily available to anyone for maybe a hundred dollars would take away that incentive for large contributions.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,289
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30881
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Why do you assume that buying a team jacket is to "make their children look more accomplished than they are"?
    Because the parents who are always on about how their kid is going to go to the Olympics or World IME are generally the parents whose kid has very little chance of doing either.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,675
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Why do you assume that buying a team jacket is to "make their children look more accomplished than they are"?
    I wrote it because someone said exactly that a few posts before my post. Personally I don't really care, so I would not even think that way. I wouldn't think that this child is more accomplished than others because it has the jacket.

    Saying that, I don't think that having a feeling of deserving the jacket doesn't outweigh the fact that if it was for sale, there would be more money to spend on the figure skating in that country. As I see it, would you prefer a small group of skaters on national team having the feeling that they earned their jacket, or would allowing the jacket to be for sale to public earn enough money that would help this selected group of individuals on national team? What is more beneficial? Having a good feeling that you earned something, or having more money for your training? After all, the great feeling that they earned it is not just tied to the jacket; they have earned the status of 'member of national team'.
    Last edited by hanca; 09-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.

  9. #29
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,967
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38362
    At least recently, the team jacket has been a nice reward for the skaters who've worked and been invited to an international competition. Whether or not I think it should be seen as something that is a recognition of accomplishment, it appears that's how a lot of skaters think about them.

    I also think it's fine and certainly not wrong to want to show support for the team. The shop on the federation site has a lot of merchandise, including some jackets, that you can purchase. Many of the pieces are either purchased by or given to the skaters, so a lot of it is the same merchandise they use. If someone wants to support the team, there are a lot of ways to do it.

    If the jackets are viewed as a "reward", I'd prefer to not see them given to large donors either and I doubt most people who are donating $10,000 are doing it for a jacket. But that is a lot of money that goes to help skaters, so I think it's reasonable to have some nice recognition to show that their contribution is appreciated.

    I don't think any of this is "right" or "wrong", but I do think it's nice to find relatively inexpensive ways to let both the skaters and the people who donate to support the skaters know that they're appreciated and their contributions are recognized, while also finding ways to encourage fans to show their support however they are able.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    USA Team Jackets

    I support USFSA and was surprised to see in the benefits for this year the team jacket. I, like the original poster, wrote the association suggesting that they make the jackets available or something similar. I don't think the identical jacket going to fans would be fair. I did suggest that they could sell them without the team USA on it. I was just shocked to see if you have $10000 to give away, you can get one. Money does all things in the USA.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatingfan924 View Post
    I support USFSA and was surprised to see in the benefits for this year the team jacket. I, like the original poster, wrote the association suggesting that they make the jackets available or something similar. I don't think the identical jacket going to fans would be fair. I did suggest that they could sell them without the team USA on it. I was just shocked to see if you have $10000 to give away, you can get one. Money does all things in the USA.


    I'm glad someone else has suggested it too (not that it will change anything) but still. I would be FINE if it was a similar jacket, just without "TeamUSA" on it. I just want to further support skating, what's wrong with that?

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, I tried one on (I think...I can't remember exactly what it looked like) at SA last year. It was the only "athletic type" jacket I've ever liked (I don't even wear hoodies), and it was comfy enough that I'd wear it all the time. So I've been kind of obsessed ever since. But I see the argument against selling them--I do wish they'd sell something similar, though, because the design is great and the comfort level, even greater!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •