Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I just finished watching Universal Sports program on the FD...I really liked Tanith's comment at the end...she said D/W invite you in to enjoy their program while V/M seem into themselves on the ice. Most V/M fans find this a strength of V/M but I agree with Tanith...it's more enjoyable to watch a skating program that involves you with them.
    I'd never really thought of that before but Tanith has a great point. That's one thing that many commentators do repeat about D/W--that they connect with the audience and the music exceptionally well. Even their so-so programs really do pull you right along with them. Meryl's expression isn't appreciated enough, I think.

And you're right about shutting out all of the media and the talk that goes on. I usually do and am definitely going to return to that! The issues with connection and even criticizing Meryl and Charlie for talking about improving, well, it doesn't get in the way of what they do, so I really shouldn't care.

vCash
    Meryl and Charlie really are damned if they do, damned if they don't, it seems. They're criticized for a lack of connection and then criticized when they try to work on that. They have to much class to do it, but if I were in their position, I would really have to fight the urge to finish every performance by flipping everyone off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Meryl and Charlie really are damned if they do, damned if they don't, it seems. They're criticized for a lack of connection and then criticized when they try to work on that. They have to much class to do it, but if I were in their position, I would really have to fight the urge to finish every performance by flipping everyone off.
    Well, I don't think any of the top skaters give a rat's derriere as to what is said on the forums. It may eventually trickle down to them. Hence, they don't really feel the need to flip anyone off after their performances. Most sane people would only be open to constructive feedback which would be from judges, coaches, possibly those near and dear. I would definitely not trust anyone on this forum to drive my career in the right direction or anything else for that matter

vCash
    I would definitely not trust anyone on this forum to drive my career in the right direction or anything else for that matter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Well, I don't think any of the top skaters give a rat's derriere as to what is said on the forums. It may eventually trickle down to them. Hence, they don't really feel the need to flip anyone off after their performances. Most sane people would only be open to constructive feedback which would be from judges, coaches, possibly those near and dear. I would definitely not trust anyone on this forum to drive my career in the right direction or anything else for that matter
    Isn't that the truth!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Good lord, could you imagine if the top skaters did frequent the boards? Most of them would probably need some serious in-patient care by now.

vCash
    Zachary Donohue did, at least once anyway, because he sent out a tweet saying that people at FSU were crazy or something to that extent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I keep forgetting D/W have broken not only one, but two records here:

1. First ice dance team in history to win the GPF 4 times.
    2. First skater(s) in any discipline in history to win the GPF 4 times consecutively.

Russia holds good things for them. Well, outside of Cup of Russia.
    Lol, yes. Maybe it's their desire to erase that competition from their mental history that's fueling all of this success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    If that was the case though wouldn't it mean that V/M don't take D/W as competition, even though they train together, until they were beaten by them? Shouldn't they know already from the training that D/W are competition and shouldn't V/M and D/W push each other since they have their competition in training each day?
    Sometimes I don't think they do...or at least not Scott. Not from the way he seems to take their losses to D/W. It's like they think of them as their nearest competition, a team that nips at their heels, but not a team that can beat them at their best.

Maybe I'm still a little mad at his comments though and biased. It's history. I should let it go, but it really struck me as a mean thing to say about your friends...especially in public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    So true. For instance, I loved the Kerrs' connection on ice and they were brother and sister. Meryl and Charlie may not be romantic or sexual towards each other in a classical way, but they certainly have loads of connection and emotion, I can see the sincerely warm feelings they have for each other when they skate and it's enough for me. Besides this year the romantic slash sexual connection has grown in their FD as well.
    The Kerrs...have one of the best connections for me. Obviously they aren't the best ice dance team. To be realistic if they weren't representing the country they were they'd probably wouldn't even on the World and Olympic feild ofter, but they are so entertaining with one another that they have just as big of fan base as any other major skater.

I've always thought that the care with with which Charlie treats Meryl is really sweet. He such a great supportive partner, it's sort of "traditional" dance in that way. They don't act like two people who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with one another. They are far from not having a connection. When I first started watching them, before I had any opinion, I used to think of V/M as a patching pair and M/C as the big spoon, little spoon team. Kind of weird and random.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Looking at pictures from the whole weekend--Meryl is crazy buff this year. Her muscle definition, even in candids, is pretty amazing to be as tiny as she is.
    She's always buffer on the years they do crazy lifts. She just as buff for the tango FD year. As awesome and strong as Charlie is, it takes a great of participation on Meryl's part to make it happen.

vCash
    Since apparently this is spam the FSU board night for me , I just have so many feelings, on to more positive random things.

Now that there are more fuller versions of their FD out there, I'm quite enjoying watching the slow motion recap. Normally there are a lot of awkward moments, but their dance looks especially good in slow mo.

Also seeing in slow motion makes me annoyed that they don't get more credit, from the viewers online not judges, for their spins. They have some of the best spins ever (for dance, Savchenko/Szolkowy have my pairs appreciation). In terms of body position, transitions, and "drift" I'd call them Alissa Czisny level spins, especially for the power team rep they have. Takes a lot of skill to be good at spins. Though I guess spins, along with death spirals, are becoming a lost unappreciated art.

Charlie hair looks amazing. If he doesn't cut it, per usual on season growing, I think his hair will be the longest it's ever been at Worlds. I'm freakishly excited about it!

vCash
    I totally agree about their spins. Their transitions in and out and the speed they maintain is just phenomenal.

vCash
    From the Detroit News
    Metro Detroit's Meryl Davis, Charlie White win gold at Grand Prix Final

I had to shake my head at the picture they used to go with the article. And then this bit:

Davis of West Bloomfield and White of Bloomfield Hills performed an array of complex moves, including one in which he appears to drop her but holds on with one hand while she wraps her legs around one of his.
    Nice description

vCash
    at that picture. It really does continue the fine tradition of Meryl, in her own words, being the bearded lady in their skating photos.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    From the Detroit News
    Metro Detroit's Meryl Davis, Charlie White win gold at Grand Prix Final

I had to shake my head at the picture they used to go with the article. And then this bit:

Davis of West Bloomfield and White of Bloomfield Hills performed an array of complex moves, including one in which he appears to drop her but holds on with one hand while she wraps her legs around one of his.

Nice description
    This really makes me want him to describe some of V/M's lifts.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Isn't that the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Zachary Donohue did, at least once anyway, because he sent out a tweet saying that people at FSU were crazy or something to that extent
    Mirai Nagasu mentioned reading the boards as well in a tweet.

And a lot of the skaters' parents read the boards. I suppose it's like reading movie reviews if you acted in a movie...you can't help wanting to know what people thought, even if it is painful. Even more so if it's your child.

Universal Sports has the FD up (geoblocked), and it includes some of the podium shots. No commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQk6078kG0

vCash
    Speaking of thread names, we're going to need a new one soon!

vCash
    You're right!

Giselle, The Polkabration?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Mirai Nagasu mentioned reading the boards as well in a tweet.

And a lot of the skaters' parents read the boards. I suppose it's like reading movie reviews if you acted in a movie...you can't help wanting to know what people thought, even if it is painful. Even more so if it's your child.

Universal Sports has the FD up (geoblocked), and it includes some of the podium shots. No commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQk6078kG0
    If the skaters read the boards, then more power to them. There should be an FSU disclaimer about doing so at your own risk As for the parents, I would assume that they have the capacity to separate the wheat from the chaff

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast