Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 1004
  1. #681

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada baby!
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3317
    Great start to the competition for D&W. Their SD is so nice to watch.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

  2. #682

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Their comments about their technical scores...
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/11/d...at-nhk-trophy/

  3. #683

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Yes, it is true that some panels are tough, and others not so much. You can tell a panel is tougher when so few teams achieved a season's best.

    I think the Shibutanis is all?
    And between the program being very new at CoR, and Alex having muscle spasms, it's not surprising they scored better here. They looked better.

  4. #684
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Doris, maybe you covered this somewhere else but could you go over what the key points are in the Yankee Polka? What are the YNY points? And what the difference between Seq 1 and Seq 2 are?

    It's interesting to me that most of the couples in the NHK SD seem to be having more trouble with Seq 2.

  5. #685

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I am disappointed Meryl's costume didn't change. She never seems to pick the costume I prefer, so I'm going to stop hoping now this year. I also wanted the ending lift to change and I would have even liked to see Charlie's new costume in action at least once. It was a lovely SD of course...it just felt exactly like SA, so I'm underwhelmed.
    Luckily they always pick the costumes I like. I think the original dress was much better than the practice one.

  6. #686

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1968
    Wait, did Meryl have a different SD costume in practice?

  7. #687
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Wait, did Meryl have a different SD costume in practice?
    Yes, she did. The differences are subtle but the sleeves were more sheer and the apron and skirt were plainer. (http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-DW-RR.jpg.php)

    I liked the competition one better- the sleeves have slightly more opacity and looks crisper and the skirt has more color with flowers in the apron. The practice one felt like a more scaled back version and the sheer sleeves emphasized the bones in her neckline in an unflattering way. (http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-DW-RR.jpg.php)

  8. #688
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Maurizio?
    Igor leave big shoes to fill. It look like all tecnik suffer in canton

  9. #689
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Luckily they always pick the costumes I like. I think the original dress was much better than the practice one.
    I didn't even have a problem with the original dress until I saw the second one. It's so much better in comparison.

    I really wanted the blue dress for DF, the one she only wore in practice and for exhibitions. The purple was nice, but it looked exactly like the Olympic year CD dress.
    Then I wanted her to keep the bronze SD dress (and the Nats ending for that matter) that matched Charlie for last year and she only wore it once. Or even the really sparkly bright one she never wore in competition. So much missed opportunity.

    I refuse to ever get my hopes up again .

    The last costume change I really loved was 2011 Worlds. The purple dress she wore for the SD was OMG gorgeous. All the dresses she wore that year were amazing, the peach and red. She had fun. Of course, I hated (I use hate loosely) that SD and I never re-watch it.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.

  10. #690

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada baby!
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3317
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Doris, maybe you covered this somewhere else but could you go over what the key points are in the Yankee Polka? What are the YNY points? And what the difference between Seq 1 and Seq 2 are?
    I am not Doris but for my own personal knowledge I looked up what is specifically being watched closely.

    According to the usfsa site

    Section 1-
    Steps 12-13 is a key area turn where the woman needs to make a clean left back inside edge to the right forward inside edge. The man needs to make a clean Left back inside edge to a right back outside edge (x3).
    Steps 22-24 is key where the woman needs to have clean edges, make the correct turn, correct placement of the free foot and the free leg crossed in front of the skating leg. (It is the left forward inside edge, closed choctaw, right back outside edge to left back inside edge)
    Steps 22-24 for the man requires the correct edges of left forward inside edge, closed choctaw to right back outside edge to left back inside edge same as the woman. The judges are looking for the exact same clean edged, correct turn and correct free foot and leg placement.

    Section 2-
    Steps 32-33- The woman and man need to do the correct edges and turns. She is doing the right forward inside(3) to left forward outside rocker and he is doing the left forward inside(x3) to the right forward outside
    Steps 38-40- The woman and man need to have the correct edges and turns with the woman doing the right forward inside, right forward inside (x3) to left forward outside swing steps. The man is doing the right back outside edge (x3), left forward outside swing to right forward inside (x3)

    So based on these key areas, section 2 seems to be the more difficult pattern where the couples need to make sure the edges are clean and precise.

    http://www.usfsa.org/content/ISU%201...%202012-13.pdf
    Last edited by Twilight1; 11-23-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

  11. #691
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I am not Doris but for my own personal knowledge I looked up what is specifically being watched closely.

    According to the usfsa site

    Section 1-
    Steps 12-13 is a key area turn where the woman needs to make a clean left back inside edge to the right forward inside edge. The man needs to make a clean Left back inside edge to a right back outside edge (x3).
    Steps 22-24 is key where the woman needs to have clean edges, make the correct turn, correct placement of the free foot and the free leg crossed in front of the skating leg. (It is the left forward inside edge, closed choctaw, right back outside edge to left back inside edge)
    Steps 22-24 for the man requires the correct edges of left forward inside edge, closed choctaw to right back outside edge to left back inside edge same as the woman. The judges are looking for the exact same clean edged, correct turn and correct free foot and leg placement.

    Section 2-
    Steps 32-33- The woman and man need to do the correct edges and turns. She is doing the right forward inside(3) to left forward outside rocker and he is doing the left forward inside(x3) to the right forward outside
    Steps 38-40- The woman and man need to have the correct edges and turns with the woman doing the right forward inside, right forward inside (x3) to left forward outside swing steps. The man is doing the right back outside edge (x3), left forward outside swing to right forward inside (x3)

    So based on these key areas, section 2 seems to be the more difficult pattern where the couples need to make sure the edges are clean and precise.

    http://www.usfsa.org/content/ISU%201...%202012-13.pdf

    Thanks, Twilight!

    Because the YP has so many steps it's hard for me to know where each step is. So I was watching Usova/Zhulin's instructional video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPWxPeOK_Y.

    Are the Steps 32-33 after the choctaw where they turn away from each other and then face each other again? And is 38-40 where they do the wide swinging turns before the following stompy part at the end of the pattern?

  12. #692

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada baby!
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3317
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Thanks, Twilight!

    Because the YP has so many steps it's hard for me to know where each step is. So I was watching Usova/Zhulin's instructional video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPWxPeOK_Y.

    Are the Steps 32-33 after the choctaw where they turn away from each other and then face each other again? And is 38-40 where they do the wide swinging turns before the following stompy part at the end of the pattern?
    Exactly right.

    I condensed it to this I need simple.

    Section 1-
    Steps 12-13 the woman needs to make a clean left back inside edge to the right forward inside edge. The man needs to make a clean left back inside edge to a right back outside edge (x3).
    Steps 22-24 The closed choctaw part of the steps
    Section 2-
    Steps 32-33- The rocker part of the steps
    Steps 38-40- The swing part of the steps
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

  13. #693

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    forvmpd has put up a version of V&M's Yankee Polka with the steps written in

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC626upyaBA

    Page 13 of the Handbook for Tech Panels

    Found on the ISU website, in a pdf file here:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

    says the same thing as the USFS website.

    You can work on getting a feel for where the key points come from the V&M clip, because they are labelled.

    I am pretty good at calling the Junior's Blues CD, but I have trouble doing the YP.

    Charlie hit both of the key points that were his alone this time. Meryl got the first of her alone (which she didn't at SkAm), and missed the second (which she got at Skam)

    They missed the first key point of the first sequence at both events, and got the first key point of the second sequence at SkAm, but not at NHK.

    So the tech panels said.

  14. #694

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1968
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Charlie hit both of the key points that were his alone this time. Meryl got the first of her alone (which she didn't at SkAm), and missed the second (which she got at Skam)

    They missed the first key point of the first sequence at both events, and got the first key point of the second sequence at SkAm, but not at NHK.
    Unless I'm reading the protocols wrong, I believe Meryl got both her individual keypoints at Skate America (the 2nd letter for both patterns, no?).

    I've found the V/M video with the numbered steps very useful, but I'm unable to call the YP levels correctly either. The camerawork zooming out during the 1st keypoint in D/W's 1st pattern doesn't help.

    ETA: Thank you, missysays, for the costume differences. I hope Meryl has a new one for the FD.
    Last edited by literaryfreak; 11-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.

  15. #695
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    I was just watching their 2011 Worlds FD, and I realized that Meryl has been in some shade of purple or red for five of their seven FDs as seniors. And she was in red for their final FD as juniors. I like her Esmerelda dress from SA, but would love to maybe see something in a shade of blue.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  16. #696

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    I would like blue, too. Also emerald green would look pretty on her.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  17. #697

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1968
    My vote is for an emerald green. But wow, she really has had so many red/purple dresses over the years!

    I do love the way the skirt of the SA dress moves, how it whips in the wind. It adds to the drama for me.

  18. #698
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think about her costumes (well, everyone's costumes) an embarrassing amount. Because I love costumes.

    I love the bodice of her Esmeralda costume a whooole lot. The detail is great, when you can see it. I do long for a bit more texture and color overall, but if she went emerald green I'd be happy. Maybe she thinks it's too literal!

    As for Charlie's, I do wish the shirt was more haggard and in a lighter color.

    I doubt the FD costumes will really change but this girl can dream! I do like them for what they are, though. I've always admired their taste. Sometimes I just wish they would push it. There's been so much red/purple/burgundy that you start to wonder if Meryl is superstitious!

  19. #699

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    I loved the blue dress in their Polovtsian dances FD. It looked so light
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qunGG8qcdpw

    I'd love to see her in some other colors.

  20. #700
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I would like blue, too. Also emerald green would look pretty on her.
    That's exactly what I said when we saw her FD costume for the first time!

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •