Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Did anyone happen to catch Meryl and Charlie's interview on Icenetwork's Sectional coverage? I missed it. I hope they post it on Icenetwork on demand soon.

vCash
    I didn't, but they will probably put it up some time.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Did anyone happen to catch Meryl and Charlie's interview on Icenetwork's Sectional coverage? I missed it. I hope they post it on Icenetwork on demand soon.
    I heard it. It was pretty short. They talked a little about their Egyptology class. I think there was a joke about learning how to build pyramids. Charlie gave advice for the skaters competing at Sectionals.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I genuinely wish I had taken an Egyptology class. I took a paleontology 101 class called DINOSAURS that filled up in five minutes--with 700 people.

It involved far more math than I was expecting.

Someone should have asked if they were inspired by Nathalie and Fabian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Some of the polka programs seem almost embarrassed of including a polka, which dismays me! I was going nuts with polka fever at SA. The YP is among my favorite compulsory dances and I love polka so much that I would not even hate full on Lawrence Welk on ice.

I really enjoyed almost every SD during the Golden Waltz, even though there was a lot of Edith Piaf (and the same Edith Piaf). Sometimes I rewatch the entire Worlds competition. I want to be able to do the same thing with the YP SD.

I should specify that by 'embarrassed', what I mean is that the YP feels like an afterthought at times. I won't specify which programs make me feel that way because that's not what this thread is about. But seeing some other programs has made me really grateful that the YP is very much a Meryl and Charlie dance, and that Marina was smart about how to use it and what music to choose, despite our initial confusion over which pieces she would be using to accommodate the polka in the first place.
    I love the Yankee Polka and was looking forward to seeing what the teams would do with it. I do want to say that my second favorite one this season is C/L's. I love it and their expression is joyful and fun in a similar way to Meryl and Charlie's. I also really like Hubbell/Donahue's SD, it works very well and I hope they can skate it well the rest of the season. I think the YP has been quite a challenge for the ice dancers this season!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I love C\B and B\S SD - the music, choreography, the way they're enjoying it...well, everything.
    S\Z don't look so bad, either.

I was at Rostelecom on Saturday and my main impression was that Canton teams have really serious problems with TES. Can't say I'm happy with it.

vCash
    The Shibs, yes, but V&M What stood out for you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I love the Yankee Polka and was looking forward to seeing what the teams would do with it. I do want to say that my second favorite one this season is C/L's. I love it and their expression is joyful and fun in a similar way to Meryl and Charlie's. I also really like Hubbell/Donahue's SD, it works very well and I hope they can skate it well the rest of the season. I think the YP has been quite a challenge for the ice dancers this season!
    I agree. And I didn't think the YP would be as troubling to as many as it has been. Haven't seen any teams make it through unscathed yet!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    The Shibs, yes, but V&M What stood out for you?
    Many small slips here and there during step sequences lead to 2nd and 3rd levels, and it was clearly seen in the protocols. They've never been like that - their dance is very complicated and they just can't make it work completely. Beginning and final - yes, the middle - no.
    Of course, it's just the beginning of the season, but I don't like the tendency. I wasn't thrilled by D\W TES, either, but I didn't see them live. I hope, both pairs will look better in GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Many small slips here and there during step sequences lead to 2nd and 3rd levels, and it was clearly seen in the protocols. They've never been like that - their dance is very complicated and they just can't make it work completely. Beginning and final - yes, the middle - no.
    Of course, it's just the beginning of the season, but I don't like the tendency. I wasn't thrilled by D\W TES, either, but I didn't see them live. I hope, both pairs will look better in GPF.
    I was there too. They only had one level 2 in the FD, the second step sequence, which has very difficult connecting steps. It's their choice to have challenging material this year and they are very aware of what should be corrected, even if everything doesn't flow perfectly right now. After all, nobody gets level 4 for step seq this early in the season. They also specifically said they will work hard on the YP levels, and I'm sure M&C will too. But if you want to insist that T&S looked bad, I guess I can't stop you anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    After all, nobody gets level 4 for step seq this early in the season.
    Yes, but I can hardly remember the last time they had level 2, as well as D/W.
    I'll be glad to be mistaken but right now I see that all 3 teams look worse than they did last season this time - and there is nothing I can do about it).

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Considering how poorly all three teams have scored in terms of the TES, you do have to wonder what's going on. I think that conceptually both Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie's short dances are interesting and engaging. I think Meryl and Charlie have a mini-masterpiece that is basically textbook perfect in terms of blending the pattern with the dance to make a whole. I saw it live and it looked utterly sharp. That may be because it is musically engaging and really works, thus disguising some technical glitches (from the viewer, anyway).

NHK will be an interesting competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    After all, nobody gets level 4 for step seq this early in the season.
    Other than, Sinisina /Zhiganshin, who received lvl 4 on 1st pattern, lvl 3 on 2nd at the CoR last week...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer2 View Post
    Other than, Sinisina /Zhiganshin, who received lvl 4 on 1st pattern, lvl 3 on 2nd at the CoR last week...
    I was referring to full step sequences, not patterns. S/Z achieved the key-points, but they skate juniorishly and IMO shouldn't have medalled. Zhiganshina/Gazsi should have been 3rd, but the low levels in the SD hurt them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy;3743750. I think Meryl and Charlie have a mini-masterpiece that is basically textbook perfect in terms of blending the pattern with the dance to make a whole. I saw it live and it looked utterly sharp. That may be because it is musically engaging and really [I
    works[/I], thus disguising some technical glitches (from the viewer, anyway).

NHK will be an interesting competition.
    Meryl and Charlie made this SD in May, before their holidays, with Igor still in a team. And it really looks good))
    FD bothers me much more.

vCash
    Meryl and Charlie's FD was likely still very new when they skated at SA. Marina said in Russia V&M´s FD took all summer to make (versus the usual which is less than a month). They are skating new elements. All this makes it less surprising they are not getting the levels yet. If both teams just grabbed all their steps, spins and lifts from last season OR had their FD´s ready early in the summer I think we would see different results. I just think it's too early to panic. I didn't even finish watching the Shibs because to me Alex was off early on and I'd rather see it and get an impression when he's healthy (although I have to say Maia looked beautiful).

vCash
    Sorry, IoanaC. I thought you meant the SD YP pattern. But, I agree, no way should S/Z have been third.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Meryl and Charlie's FD was likely still very new when they skated at SA. (although I have to say Maia looked beautiful).
    DF was also VERY new at SA last year)))
    I said I'm glad to be mistaken and I do hope many things will change.

(although I have to say Maia looked beautiful).
    Oh, yes. She is a real beauty in this dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    DF was also VERY new at SA last year)))
    I said I'm glad to be mistaken and I do hope many things will change.
    I think they got similar marks for both debuts this year and last year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think they got similar marks for both debuts this year and last year?
    No, they had a little more than 107 for FD last year.

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast